iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plunge cutting into formica

Started by Kevin, January 29, 2011, 02:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I want to plunge into a formica counter top to do an inlay and I'm wondering what the best router bit would be for that purpose.
The critical cut will be the edge cut, I'm not concerned about cleaning out the center once the outline is routered in.

pigman

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Kevin

That's what I was leaning towards.
It should be good on the plunge but how do you think it will cut lengthwise along the edge?

This is what the manufacturer says about them...

QuoteWill plunge cut and plane edges. Eliminates chipping at the top of the cut. Ideal for soft & hard woods, plywoods & composites, laminates, plastics and some non-ferrous metals.

tyb525

That should do well. The down cut spiral bits are designed for what you are wanting to do, make a clean top edge cut, especially in veneered material.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SPIKER

Thoughts on using some good tape to keep chipping&  splintering down would be nice.  I was watching and looking for answers on my own for similar projects that will be coming up in near future.

Thanks
Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

tyb525

By nature, down cut bits won't splinter, because the wood fibers are being cut downwards, or into the wood. The drawback is less effective chip removal, but several shallow cuts should reduce the problem.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Kevin

Right on.
I have a burn in a counter top from a hot pot so my intention is to cut out a section and inlay it with tile.
I just have to find a tile now that isn't prone to chipping, any ideas on that? ???
The bits are on order.

terrifictimbersllc

I just plunged a regular 5/16" dia carbide straight bit into my saw table extension, laminated with formica, in order to inlay a miter track near my router plate insert.  There was no chipping and the line was perfect except at one end where i wasn't careful and let it wobble.  Can post a picture later. I used my t-square fence as a guide for the router.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Kevin

I'm going to pick out the tile , get a measurement then build a square frame to run the router around inside.
I'll try double face tape to hold the jig in place.

Don_Papenburg

I would also put a couple of sticks over the template clamped to the counter edge with parralel jaw clamps .  That helps to keep templates in place .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Radar67

I've always scribed the line on any laminate work to ensure that there is no chip out.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Warbird

Quote from: tyb525 on January 29, 2011, 05:06:58 PM
By nature, down cut bits won't splinter, because the wood fibers are being cut downwards, or into the wood. The drawback is less effective chip removal, but several shallow cuts should reduce the problem.

Agreed on the shallow cuts.  If you try too deep of a cut and put too much perpendicular force on the bit while making the lengthwise cut, you could break the bit.  Happened to me when routing out some bamboo for our window bench.

Kevin

I had a second thought on holding the template, I can screw it to the counter top and rout around the edge of it then remove the screws and template then rout out the inards.
I'll just have to be extra careful going around the corners.
I will use tape but I don't think I'll be able to get an exact, perfect scribe for the router bit to follow.
If it doesn't work out I just replace the counter top, it's just over the dish washer.

Kevin

I'm almost psyched up for this event, the remaining question is which direction of travel with the router around the template or guide board?
I'm thinking counterclockwise but need a second opinion.

Thanks.

beenthere

Kevin
If me, I'd make the reverse pattern for the guide. I would have the fear that the bit would climb away from the pattern you have and spoil the plan. If following an outside pattern, any cleanup due to bit pulling would be easier and without enlarging the inset size.

Practice your plan by using what you have to make a cutout in a larger piece of plywood (or formica top if you have it) to satisfy yourself which direction.

Also, I might make a smaller inside pattern to help support the router shoe so the router cannot tip while cutting. Hope that makes sense. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

blaze83

the only other thing i would do a bit differently is this. I would make my initial cut an eith to 3 sixteenths inside where your finish cut will be, then come along and clean up the edge to the desired dimensions, this way if ther is a wobble or a chip, you can clean it up .

just my 2 cents

steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Busy Beaver Lumber

Kevin

Rather than inlay it with individual tiles and have to worry about bacteria buildup in the grout or staining of the grout, how about going to a countertop maker that works with stone and have him make you a perfect fit inlay out of a piece of polished granite or corian?

A friend of mine actually built an oak dining room table with 4 granite inlays in the center of the table so his wife could bring hots pots and pyrex glassware from the kitchen and put them right on the granite inlays in the table without having to worry about damaging the table. Looked great and worked out very well
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Kevin

I wasn't trying to enhance the counter top but rather making do with what's there so I don't have to pull the dishwasher out to replace the top.
This seems to be the easy solution.
The tile is mosaic so if a line gets messed up I can just open up the width to accommodate another row of tiles but it should work the first time around if I keep constant pressure against the plywood.
If it doesn't work then I'll be replacing the counter top which I would have done any way.

Thanks for the input.

Kevin

My blood pressure is back to normal.  ;D

pigman

That looks good Kevin. 8)
See, that wasn't so hard afer all.  :D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Kevin

I have to admit, it looks better than the pot burn.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I'm thinking of doing some counter top here this summer. If I get around to it. ;D Going to paint the kitchen to. Not a lot of wall to paint because it's mostly cupboards.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!