iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unisaw gets double transplant

Started by Larry, February 05, 2011, 01:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I picked up a Dewalt sliding table made as an accessory for the Dewalt table saw a few years ago.  Also found a Unifence about the same time.  As per my normal mode of operation both were marked way down...store closeouts.  With the bad weather/snow this week figured it was about time to get them installed.

Before the operation.

Stripped down and ready for the installation.

Doc at work.

New hanger brackets had to be fabricated to adapt the table to the Unisaw.  The rear table rail also had to be cut down a bit.  On the front the hangers were bolted behind the cast iron table and shims brought the table rail back out the proper distance.  Had to do this to allow clearance for the Unifence rail.  For the side rail had to buy flat head 7/16-20 socket head bolts as the Unisaw uses SAE thread while Dewalts saw is metric.  Other than those few details installation was the same as on a Dewalt saw.

Operation is a success.  Table glides smoothly and is rock solid.  Wish I could say the same about the miter gauge.  It required a bit of machine work to take the slop out.  The table enables a 30" cross cut to be made quite easily.

The Unifence was a snap and works fine.  The old Jetlock fence is going to be used on my 20" Delta bandsaw.

I'm going to add a side and rear laminate table when the roads clear enough to make it to town for material.  Who knows, if the snow lasts long nuff might even put a coat of paint on the saw...than I'll really be uptown. :)

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Really nice Larry....but more than the saw, from what I can see, I really like your shop!!! Neat and everything looks in order.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

D._Frederick

Is the table just bolted to saw as its only support? The gliding table is a nice addition to a table saw, I have one for my PM 66. I can cut a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood in half, but it takes 2 people to get it on the saw.

It took me hours to get it to run parallel to the saw blade and to set the guide to cut 90 degrees. I used 2 piece of 12 inch wide plywood to set it up. Cut both pieces at once and butt the cut faces together along a straight edge, there will be no gap when they are a true 90 degrees.   

metalspinner

Larry,
Your gonna love that sliding table.  I bought the Dewalt saw because of the sliding table. (That and I got a smokin' hot deal on it. :))  It's very handy for breaking down larger peices and repetative cuts.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

Gotta love them shop tools.  ;D I've never seen those extensions before. But, of course we don't have places to walk into to see much for tools. These Canadian Tire stores around here are pretty limited. Not even any trade shows around here. If you want anything, gotta dig out the Lee Valley catalogs to begin with. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Larry

D, the table sits on the rails visible in the third and fifth pic.  Didn't take long to calibrate the table at all.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Burlkraft

That's pretty nice Larry

You won't regret having that on the saw.

Let me know if ya find another deal like that ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Norm

When I bought my saw I almost bought the version with the sliding table. Sure wish I had now.

Thanks for the pictures Larry. Must be too cold for fishing. 

ljmathias

Wish I hadn't read this thread- now there's another tool I have to get... sometime when I have extra money and time to track it down and can remember then what I decided now was needed.... sometimes I have a hard time remembering my own name let alone a wish list... :o

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Larry

Norm, for some reason the launching ramps are a bit slippery...maybe chains plus 4wd. ::)

I can't believe a week ago last Saturday I got a limit of crappie and one 22" walleye.  And the weather was T shirt mild. :)

Norm

Just Me

Larry

I have a MiniMax with a sliding table. You are going to love it. You will find new uses for it continually. I cut all my tenons on it with a dado blade, can do a batch in a hurry and it is safe. Haven't used my tenon jib in years.

I had an old unisaw for my first shop saw. I stripped it and painted with a flame paint job, flames coming up from the floor. Made me smile every time I saw it. Had an old kelvinator fridge painted to match. It was somehow lost in a divorce, but I want to do my PM66 with the same paint when I get time. :( Just a thought......

Nice shop! Mine new shop is just a pile of tools at the moment. Time and money....

The other Larry

SwampDonkey

Yup, pile of tools is adding up here quick. I have to get some 1/4" plywood and start making some fold out cabinets to store stuff away. I need a whack of drawers to start keeping screws sorted now. I use a whack of screws and never the right size. From now on I'm getting all mine from Lee Valley, save a fortune in running and price.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Larry

Quote from: Norm on February 06, 2011, 09:00:18 AM
Which lake are you near Larry?

Beaver Lake which is the first reservoir on the White River chain of lakes.  Beaver is similar to Table Rock only smaller and a bit clearer.

The main lake never freezes.  Were up on the headwaters and that froze over a couple of days ago.

Norm

Patty and I almost bought a house on Beaver Lake back in 1998. It was right on one of the arms with a private dock.

We are thinking of buying a winter home there but have to get rid of a fat horse and donkey first.

jamesamd

Nice job Larry  8)
Just need to add a router table on the right and You will be set-up with a major work-station.
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Thank You Sponsors!