iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tool Cabinet

Started by SwampDonkey, February 09, 2011, 03:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

This tool chest is made from one sheet of cheep grade 1/2" fir plywood. I happened to have it standing in the barn. It looked like it needed a purpose. So here I used it to put together a carcass for a tool cabinet. It's 3'x3' and opened up to 6 feet wide. I'm going to put drawers in the bottom half of the main body. Then the top half will probably be for handsaws of different flavors. ;D The depth of the main carcass is 5-1/2" inside, the doors are 2-1/2" deep inside. Outside depth is 9" with the doors closed. I didn't want a deep cabinet, as I've seen some plans for 16" deep or more. Can't have that in my small shop, would get tired of walking around it. :D :D :D

Ash hardwood used inside, lots of scraps to use up. ;D

Still plugging away at it.

Have to get some tools off the benches and tables. ;D Plus I have a whole bunch more coming from Lee Valley's to hide away. ;)   8) 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Busy Beaver Lumber

Nice cabinet swampdonkey. Send more pics when you have it done. Nice sturdy hinges you have on it. Should work out well. I love the tools from Lee Valley. Bought all my tenon cutters from them. :)
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Lud

That's got potential,, SD.   Don't pack stuff too tight or you won't put them back and then, what's the point? :)

Are you going to trace the outliness with a black magic marker so you know when somethings missing?  ;D

My wife occaisionally needs a tool of mine and then it gets packed away in her drawers! ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

SwampDonkey

Lud, I always put stuff back in it's place. If it has a place to begin with. Having tools all over the place drives me nuts. :D Also, makes it easier to clean the place and keeps dust and shavings from covering everything and loosing something when I go around with the shop vac. ;D

The small drawers ( 8 ) won't have flush cut drawer faces, only 2" high so I can see in anyway. ;D The larger two bottom drawers will be for a tool and it's accessories. Such as a hand beading tool and cutters in one and a molding scraper and interchangeable profiles in the other. ;D

I hear ya on getting stuff too bunched up or crowded. I'm going to customize each spot for a tool, not heap in a pile. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I've managed to make some drawers and started making some mounts for a few tools.  ;D The drawer faces are only half height in the pigeon holes.

SwampDonkey

I recently acquired some nice wood rasps and thought I should make some new handles from cherry.

I had an old collar from another handle laying around so I used it on one, then I fashioned another from 1" diameter copper sleeve. Used a nail (sharp point) and hammer to score a dent then used a punch to score into the wood of the handle (3 positions). The old collar had existing punch outs. Has one coating of linseed oil/terpentine on them drying.

Then I needed a spot in the cabinet for them and a larger 1" wide rasp to hang. So I came up with this. The handle slides into 1-1/4" holes to the left until the handle clears a sloped slot on the other end for the metal. Can't fly out when opening and closing the door. ;D

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

WildDog

Comeing together very nicely SD. You have inspired me, I was looking for a couple of projects to do this winter in the shed at night, tool cabinet would be a worthwhile one.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SwampDonkey

I just had some old water based Polyurathane in the basement that kind of went bad, so I slapped a couple coats of that on. Didn't matter so much about the looks because it's in a dusty environment. So I didn't care. Gives the well used look to it. ;D

Here I made a special drawer for the Dremel tool and attachments. One little tray comes out to reveal the tool underneath. This little tray holds the wrenches, sanding disks and chucks.

This is my beading tool drawer and I made slots for the cutters.

A drawer of 1/2" shank router bits.

I still have a couple free drawers and a couple corners on the doors to add stuff if the need arises.  ;D

Magicman

Are you gonna take all of that good stuff out before you put it on the UPS truck to me  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodchuck53

Great job. Sure would make some nice door prizes at a pig roast get together. heh heh heh. It is nice to see a craftsman at work. Stay safe Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Thank You Sponsors!