iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tempted to risk blowing up the house,Alls clear,update w/pics

Started by jamesamd, February 13, 2011, 08:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesamd

but I'm smarter than that.
I bought the family a new wide screen TV for Christmas.
The place it needs to be located is only 5' wide,so I needed to make a console to put it on.
I designed the unit from a picture I saw of an Austrilian Lowline entertainment center.

Top off
This is the the unit - the top,the two lower openings and the center will have custom tempered glass doors.The ones with the the DVD storage racks will have lights installed below the upper shelves.

Back
View from the back.

3/4 view
A 3/4 view.
 Top on
The top laid on.
Detail
Detail,I hope.
The problem is,it is done but I can not finish it,because I am going to use alcohol soluable aniline dye,that I want to spray on.My basement is My shop and I can not take the chance that fans will remove enough of the fumes that I dont become a highlite on the evening news.
So,here I am mid Feb. and just looking at and wondering.It is all hard Maple and Maple ply.

The glass was made by peninsulaglass.com I highly reccomend them,most excellent.

I'll update when it warms some and I can spray outside.
Jim

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

pasbuild

Thats a sharp looking cabinet 8)  but surly it took more then a 12 pack ta get er dun :D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Busy Beaver Lumber

Jim

You do have to admit that it is kinda funny that you are worried about spraying alcohol based finish when there is a full case of beer on the work bench and lots of empty dead soldiers that once contained alcohol based beverage :D
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

jamesamd

Hey,thems Lite beers!
The only fear of explosion,is in My shorts :D
I have a Pic of the original unit,I got My insperation (copied) from at work.I'll post it tomorrow.
Jim

Norm

Hey it is a requirement to relax with a couple of cold ones after any woodworking project.

One other note though, can you get it up the stairs.

jamesamd

Yea Norm,it's only 5'X2'X2.

Original center below

Jim

Busy Beaver Lumber

Jamesamd

All kidding aside, that is a very nice job you did on the entertainment stand. I like the details in your wood trim and I too have been known to have a nice assortment of empty cans and bottles around the shop after a good days work.

I have run into the same problems that you are having now. You get the project almost done and can't apply the finish because it is too cold outside and not enough ventilation inside. I am even worried about keeping any rag around with oil based stain or lindseed oil on them as I have seen them self ignite in temperatures as low as 80 degrees. I take the used rags outside and burn them at the end of every application

Here lately, I am making a move towards all water based finishes. Just bought several Devilbiss HVLP spray guns to apply finishes and clear coats with, just need it to get a bit warmer out to give it a try and see what kind of results I get out of them.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

jamesamd

Thanks BB  :)
Water based are a good choice just don't try to apply over a water based stain.
The aniline dyes are the only way to get a really dark color on hard maple and I can't get myself to use the water soluable ones on wood.Goes against all I've been taught.
Spend 8 Hrs.finish sanding and then apply water and raise the grain.Ya can't sand the applied dyes,Ya have to apply the first coat of finish first.Too risky in My mind.
I wish You the best of luck with Your new guns  :) and hope they work-out wonderfully.
I take them old rags,stuff them into the can opening,use a paperclip to pull the popped top back as close to closed as I can,then leave them outside on the concrete steps till recycle day comes along :D
Jim

Busy Beaver Lumber

Jamesamd

One thing that was and eye opener for me was when I went out to look at the foot operated recepticles that are used everywhere for rags that contain flamable material. I was under the false impression that if you put the rags in those specially designed containers, you were good for several days between emptying then and would not have to worry about a fire. But if you read the print right on the cans, it says that they are supposed to be emptied daily, so what do they really buy you? If you empty them from your shop can into your dumpster, you just transfer the danger to the dumpster.

In fact, I have a very good friend that had things go bad in just this way. He owns a company that makes portable asphault processing plants and has a dedicated building just for prep and spray. One morning, one of the custodians emptied the flamable rag container into their outside trash dumpster on a day that way only about 70 degrees. Within an hour the dumpster was fully engulfed in flames and the fire department was on scene. They no longer use those containers and now have a burn barrel out behind the building that they toss the rags in all day long and ignite and burn every day.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

jamesamd

BB,in the plant I work at,all soiled rags go into lidded containers but are always half filled with clean water.

Jim

Lud

Good choice on the Tolkien quote.............
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

jamesamd

Thank's Lud!
I think I have read the trigoly at least 24 times since 1973.
Lately I just watch the movie and skip the parts that don't apply ;)
Jim

Lud

Sooooo,  ya think ya know your Rings, eh?    I read all 4 ,  starting  September 22,  of course, each year for over 30 years and like you , that habit ceased with Peter Jackson's excellent, if not perfect, effort.

Here's a quiz for you:

What was Sam Gamgee's grandmother's last name and where was she from?

What were the 4 dragons referred to in the Ring's?

(These were my two favorite stumpers!)   Not looking to challenge anyone! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

jamesamd

Hmmmm,I dont know Rosies Moms name.
Dragons :Wyrms,Worms ;D

Lud

Rosie Cotton was his wife''s name.

His Grandma was one of the Bracegirdles from Hardtack. 

The 4 dragons in LOTR are

Smaug......
Ankalagon the Black
a cold drake that killed one of the dwarven kings in Moria
and, of course, The Green Dragon Inn in Bywater, known for some of the best beer in the Shire! 8) 8)

jamesamd

Lud :D
Ya got Me on grandma,I was thinking MIL.
You asked "What were the 4 dragons referred to in the Ring's?" not their names ;)

Lud

So ........, that's 3 wyrms and a bar? :D :D

jamesamd

jamesamd

Even having used wood conditioner,I still had some blotching issues.
I am really pleased to be finished.I was cramped in the basement with this and a cabinate,since January.Flat screen should be done tonight.Not the best Pics but heres a couple.
A low shot

Lights on,drowned out by the flash.

Flash off,no tripod.

A shot from above.

Jim

Lud

Jim,
        That unit is looking real nice.  Lookin forward to seeing the final all-together shots.

SwampDonkey

Looks nice and solid James. I bet she has some heft. That sucker won't sag. ;D  :)

Did you rout the detailing on the corner posts or use a hand beading tool?  ;)

Is the top 1-1/2", looks thick.  Good job keeping it dead flat. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jamesamd

Thanks Lud :-*
Donk,I I glued up the top and then added 1x3"s on the bottom for the thickness,knowing I was going to bevel the edges a 1/4"or so.I hand planed them but used a beading bit from Lee_Valley for the detailing :-[
I'm not lazy,just a machinist at heart,the faster I can get it done,the better.Custom work is My forte,if I'm forced to produce more than one,I lose interest.
When I left the USAF in79 I built custom hydraulic systems for 16 yrs.I would make the first unit and other mechanic's would mass produce them,when things got slow in the mid 90's,I was forced to build multiple units,I moved on.
Maybe I have attention deficit disorder ;D I sure can,t type.
Jim

jamesamd

SwampDonkey

Nice James, you didn't have to blow the house up after all. :D  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bill m

I only see one major problem with your work - it's not in my livingroom.  ;D  Really, very nice work. I don't have the patience ( skills ) to do that kind of work with wood.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Thank You Sponsors!