iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 020 av

Started by bagman, January 05, 2013, 07:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagman

My first post.  I just picked up a stihl 020 av can any one tell me how to split the thing apart?  I just can't figure it out I have the screws all out i think.  Can anyone give me a step by step instruction on how  to separate the two halves.  ???  thanks I hope

Al_Smith

There are three little saws which are the most pain the behind to work on and the 020AV happens to be one of them .The other two are the Mini Macs and the Homelite Xl supers and Xl-2s' .

Where to start ,well first of all you need to get the shrouding off which is a chore in itself because the danged thing is held on with straight slotted screws which don't like to come out .You'll just have to fumble with it because that's about all I can say about them .I never completely split one only took one down only once to get at something below the shrouding .

If you are just peeling it down to get to the seals you don't need to split it .I've got a few pictures if you need I'll post them about changing the seals on the old 020 av .

bagman

Thanks so much for the come back Al.  The first thing is the plug wire looks original would like to replace it.  Also do i need a original fuel line in the tank because there is just regular yellow line in it now.  Have yet to run it, it ran on a shot of fuel but the past owner said it would run at high speed with the trigger pulled but won't idle.  Just preparing my self for a teardown

sawguy21

I started wrenching in a Stihl shop in 1975, I cringed when an 015 or 020 came in. Between those, the McCullochs and Remingtons I learned to hate small saws. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

JohnG28

If it'll run on a shot of fuel you might try just a carb rebuild along with new fuel/impulse lines. I wouldn't look to tear all way down unless ya have to. I got my 200 this summer with everything from the intake back off and in pieces, guy said it wouldn't run and he had rebuilt the carb. I did the carb again and got it together, runs like a champ. Sweet little saw I will say. ;)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

bagman

The problem is i have to pull the whole thing apart to get to the carb or do i no access to the carb at all

Al_Smith

You don't have to peel it down to the bones to get to the carb but if memory serves me the shrouding has to come off .

These things might be the fore runners of the 020/200T but they certainly are not as user friendly regarding repairs .The later models are by far the easiest saws Stihl ever made to work on and this one is among the worse .

Coincidently fact is I have one that needs a carb rebuild and as soon as I get my mind right when I peel the shrounding off this time all those slotted screws are going in file 13 and replaced with torx heads .

Before you even start blow all the crud off that thing with compressed air so you can find all the bolts because they hid some evidently in order to drive people nuts trying to find them .That plan worked .

As far as fuel lines you are probabley better off to replace them with OEM lines .Might cost a bit more but this is one saw you don't want to wrench on any more than you have to .

For a little saw though they cut allright ,not a 200T but not bad .

sablatnic

I might be wrong, but I remember them as not being really bad messing with.
To get them out of the shell you need to remove, I think, five screws, one from the right, underneath the muffler, one at the top, underneath the handle, two at the front from the left, one inside the air filter housing, and remove the two nuts holding the carburetor. Then remove the choker arm, and take care with the throttle linkage.

Ok, I might be wrong. Haven't had the pleasure of working on one for more than 25 years.

bagman

Thanks again Al
Well i couldn't get her apart so left it alone.  Just wanted to clean it real good anyway.  So i cleaned it the best i could  put all the screws back in.  Fixed the boot end of spark plug wire, that is what needs to be replaced, looks original, a little melted but not showing any wire.  Adjusted H n L to spec fired right up idled fine messed with the LA a little to get the chain to slow a little rapped on it a few times but won't idle wants to stall.  If i feather  the throttle about 6 times it will idle again.  old plug 87 octane not stihl 2 cycle. just wanted to see if it will run.  Also like i said fuel line in tank is just a regular straight hose not OEM.  will change that soon.  Pain in but to get that on too.  Had to cut straight line and reattach.  What chain does this saw normally run?  The number on my chain is 3.  It is a still chain. The bar has these numbers on it     Stihl 9.81  and below that is   5 000 6413  any ideas??
thanks again

bagman

Thanks sablatnic i appreciate it

Al_Smith

You'll have to count the drive lengths but it most likely is 3/8" pico chain .

bagman

I will do that thanks again. I'll let you know what i come up with.

AdkStihl

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 06, 2013, 06:59:43 PM
You'll have to count the drive lengths but it most likely is 3/8" pico chain .

The one I had was wearing the original 1/4" pitch.
bagman...you saw the pic on AS ?

Do you have any pics of your 020?
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

FWIW a lot of trim saws made during that period of time were in fact 1/4" chain .Some I know of are the Poulan s-25,Mini Mac and Homelite Xl-2 double trigger model and probabley several more  .I have a little Echo 302 that also has 1/4" on it .

You can buy 1/4" chain ,fact Baileys sells it but it's a little pricey .

Why this got changed to the 3/8" low profile chain I haven't a clue .

AdkStihl

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 08, 2013, 09:11:22 AM
Homelite Xl-2 double trigger

Got a Super 2 double trigger that I restored. It was and still is wearing 3/8 LP  :D

The guy who bought my 020 bought a replacement STIHL chain (1/4) and cost him nearly $28 and that was only a 12" bar !!
Its a popular pitch chain in the carving world so now we have to look at it as a commodity and price it accordingly.
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

In the interest for those who might not exactly be aware of what an 020 AV is here is a picture .Left to right ,020AV top handle ,020T and Ms 200T .The later two being 020 and 200 by their very design are easy to work on however just looking at the 020AV it's evident to just work on the carb you have to about half field strip it .

bagman

Will get some pics up later 2 day.  You have to see how someone modified the top to put a different carb in  Moved the LA hole.  they drilled a new on you'll see

Al_Smith

It doesn't have the correct carb? How odd.

bagman

here i got three pics and you will see how a third hole is drilled in for the LA pin.  OK how am I able to upload and add pics to a post ??

beenthere

Check out the tutor in "Behind the Forum" for some help.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

You need to have your gallery set up ahead of time, your pics in .jpg format and then it should be pretty clear sailing.

When did you set up your gallery, or think you did?
I don't find it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bagman

no gallery yet don't know how to set it up

beenthere

Click on "Gallery" upper right corner.
Once there, look at the tabs along the top. One will be "My Profile" and you should be able to start there.

Once you have your own gallery, then go back to your post and "Click here to add Photos to post" which is the blue highlighted bar under this message. Follow the simple instructions to bring your photos into your gallery, and then into your post (scroll down below your photo to see the posting buttons/instructions). Not hard to do.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bagman

Thanks again beenthere will try

beenthere

You are doing great.  8)  Pics in your gallery, and now just keep that gallery open and a post and you are there.
south central Wisconsin

bagman

hopefully this works here are my pics of my 020 AV

Notice on the top view that there is a third hole in the seam that is where my LA pin is  instead of in the LA hole

Thank You Sponsors!