iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky with cracked gas tank

Started by TessiersFarm, February 01, 2013, 07:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TessiersFarm

I have a husky 394xp saw with a crack in the bottom gas tank seam.  Any suggestions for epoxy or a fix befor I have to order a new tank?
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

torqueporting

I drain saw tanks, let air dry, then use pvc pipe cleaner on the outside. Once clean, I take a wooding burning iron and gouge the entire length of the crack to create a V. I then push the high side of the V into the trough. Sometimes I melt a piece plastic into the V as I push the sides in. My extra plastic source is a damaged 272 starter. The thin bars are easy to cut out and control the rate of feed into the heat source.

Timbercruiser

You can buy good epoxy too for fixing cracked gas tanks. Clean it good with acetone and grind it out good. JB weld is a common one but one of many. Some Huskys seem to crack easy mabe just age

TessiersFarm

I cleaned it, sanded it, cleaned again and put the JB weld to it.  Will see tomorrow if it worked.  It is right on the bottom where it gets a beating, was thinking of sticking a piece of rubber on it to help protect it when setting it down.  I was thinking like the weather strip stuff.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

Thank You Sponsors!