iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl ms 192 c

Started by cowpie, February 02, 2013, 07:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowpie

Was thinking of getting a small saw. Looked at this saw at my stihl dealer and thought id get your opinion's on it. I usually deal with this dealer as he's 5 mi from me .I was also considering an echo they seem to be popular also. I have a 032 and 034 that still run great been good saws for me. I got the flyer a while back from forum sponser baily's a while back with echo's on sale. thanks

ladylake

Get the Echo, way more quality and if needed easy to work on plus cheap parts.  I have a 025 Stihl apart right now to puts seals in, it's a nightmare to work on and Stihl wants $20 each for seals.  If you can tune a saw a Echo CS400 can be bought off Ebay for a little over $200 , they are $299 at dealers.  Nice light good handling saws.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

cuterz

+1 go with the Echo those CS400 are very nice.

sawguy21

What is the intended use? The MS192 is the lightest gas saw I have ever picked up but hard to say what that does for durability.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

JuniperBoss

Everybody seems to like the echo, and I was thinking of getting one too. I thought about the ms 170/180 from stihl but the echos really have good reviews.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

sprucebunny

Love my MS192. It's a step up from the regular line ie MS180. Very light , powerful and so far dependable. It has an actual gear driven oiler unlike the siphon thing on the 180.
I've killed 3 MS180s ( we won't talk about the number of bars... ) My season is just starting... we'll see.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

JuniperBoss

Quote from: sprucebunny on February 02, 2013, 04:49:03 PM
Love my MS192. It's a step up from the regular line ie MS180. Very light , powerful and so far dependable. It has an actual gear driven oiler unlike the siphon thing on the 180.
I've killed 3 MS180s ( we won't talk about the number of bars... ) My season is just starting... we'll see.

Sprucebunny, it is very important that I know what happened to your 3 ms 180 saws. I got an ms 170 and it sucked. The spark plug went bad after a couple tank-fulls, it wouldn't start, and when it did the piston got shot and junked it. I thought it was because we used 87 octane and worked it way too hard under big logs, so maybe I'll try again and go easy on it and it will last me a long time. What's wrong with yours?
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

Al_Smith

Quote from: ladylake on February 02, 2013, 08:11:25 AM
  I have a 025 Stihl apart right now to puts seals in, it's a nightmare to work on and Stihl wants $20 each for seals.
Just as general information if you buy anything OEM from a dealer it's going to cost premium prices .Doesn't make any difference if it's John Deere ,Harley Davidson ,Ford or Stihl .

Those seals sell for under 5 bucks after market .Just type it in Google .One sponsor on this site on the left of the screen has them for $3.95 .Another that isn't a sponsor has them for $2.95

sprucebunny

JB- They still run but they don't oil. I'm sick of screwing around with them. They are fine for cutting small trees and brush at ground level in the winter because snow will provide some lubrication.
I've used and abused one of them for almost ten years and the three of them have cut miles of trails and thinned several acres. All together they've cut about 20 cords of firewood, too.
But having to pour oil over the bar was getting old.
The 210 was a bit of a disappointment also. I'm on my second carb with not a lot of use.
I use 87 octane gas. No gas problems just oil.
I wish I'd bought the 192 or it's equivalent to begin with but it was almost twice the price of the 180s.
Hope this helps.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

JuniperBoss

Yes that helps. The ms 170 seemed to oil alright. On small limbs it would work fine probably. I've got an ms 290 and the bar uses less than 1/2 tank oil to 1 tank gas. I was shocked to find this out, even with oiler turned on high. It does do the job though, and cuts and lubes pretty well. They've made everything different now to please the regulations. Seems pretty ridiculous that the EPA are so worried about a few drops of oil on a stick in the woods. Anyway, the old saws back when the government was different would oil very well, perhaps too well but that's OK. It never mattered how much gunk was in the bar it would oil right threw it. With the new saw (same model of old saw just newer) I have to clean the bar groove darn near with every tank-full just to keep the juice flowing, since it puts out so little. I does OK though and I like the fact that I don't have to spend so much on bar oil. Kinda scary though, knowing that it puts out just barely enough to get by and keep things moving.

I have no doubt your saws had sucky oilers. Some of the saw just plain have a bad design regarding the oiling system.

Al_Smith

As a rule I like Stihl products but I only own slightly older professional grade  stuff .What most of you have talked about so far is less expensive consumer grades of saws which it stands to reason they simpley are not built as robust .As such  probabley to keep them in good running order it will take special measures .

ladylake

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 02, 2013, 07:06:54 PM
Quote from: ladylake on February 02, 2013, 08:11:25 AM
  I have a 025 Stihl apart right now to puts seals in, it's a nightmare to work on and Stihl wants $20 each for seals.
Just as general information if you buy anything OEM from a dealer it's going to cost premium prices .Doesn't make any difference if it's John Deere ,Harley Davidson ,Ford or Stihl .

Those seals sell for under 5 bucks after market .Just type it in Google .One sponsor on this site on the left of the screen has them for $3.95 .Another that isn't a sponsor has them for $2.95

Al 

I did order some aftermarket ones 2 for $7,   OEM Echo ones are $5 each which I'm sure are better qualty.  As I mentioned OEM Echo patrs are resonable.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

I have no idea why certain companys think they need to have outrageous prices on repair parts .However I suppose in most cases the average person has no idea what a resonable price might be so it's just whatever the traffic will bear .It isn't just saw parts it's with every thing .

JuniperBoss

Neighbor needed a tiny little rubber seal---a very simple, small replacement/repair item. It is much  smaller than a dime and it cost 5 dollars!!! Stupid Stihl!!!  smiley_whacko

beenthere

If'n I would Need one, I would be happy to be able to buy one and happy that Stihl still carried it in their parts. That is if the saw wouldn't run without it. $5 wouldn't be a problem, and prolly cost that much just to drive to the dealer.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JuniperBoss

Yes, that's not the point. Stihl could make one of those for 25 cents and sell it for a dollar and make a fortune. If you saw it you would laugh your butt off because all it is is a tiny piece of rubber in a simple shape. Might as well use the five dollar bill painted with rubber as a seal instead.

ladylake

Far as Stihl dealers having parts in stock, I called the 2 closest ones and neither one has a crank seal for a 025 in stock..   This seal fits quite a few different models.   Steve

cowpie

sawguy was looking at a light saw for some limbing and clearing brush. Ive got a ton of ash trees with the bug i use the bigger saws when felling and cutting the maim trunk to length for the mill. just thought a dinky saw would be a bit easier when cutting up the tops. Did see echo 330 t non california saw for $220 just not sure if Id like the top handle. Im also brush and small tree clearing on the property a lot. Anybody got this top handle saw. The stihl is light and its a rear handle which i think i would like but theres a lot of plastic going on there also a big price differance.

Dave VH

I recently rebuilt my 025 and I didn't think that it was all that bad.  I have also purchased a 192tc in the last couple of weeks, and so far I love it.  I got it to occasionally climb with.  The first day that I had it I left it in the truck and the guys kept grabbing that insead of a skill saw for simple cuts.  We were doing a foundation that was 200' by 400' so it was tough to run extension cords that long.  I would say that that saw gets used at least 4 days a week, and I am yet to actually climb a tree with it.  I don't know how we survived without it.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

ladylake

I find a 025 at least 3 times harder to work on than a Echo, plus the Echo is built way better, handle nice, good power, light, reasonable and if ever needed parts are cheap compared to Sthil.  Stihl makes fine pro saws.   Steve

cowpie

Soo anybody got one of these top handle 330t's im looking at???

york

Cowpie,thoes top handle saws for ground work,are worthless..
take a look at the CS352-Echo,is a good saw-one thing i hate about stihl are the flippy gas caps,i need my glasses in order to gas up.....albert
Albert

cowpie

yeah york thats what i was thinkin about with the top handles. Limbing tops and cutting small trees and slash on the ground would better suit the rear handle. the echo's get good remarks but youre on your own as far as repairs plus there jap made. I know stilhs a german co but thought there saws were made here also not sure im not a saw expert. Other than normal wear parts ive never had a problem or any issues with my saw's    KNOCK ON WOOD !!!!

ladylake

Quote from: cowpie on February 04, 2013, 01:29:25 PM
Soo anybody got one of these top handle 330t's im looking at???

One should be showing up here soon, $209 delivered.   Didn't need it.   Steve

Al_Smith

I wouldn't neccessily agree that a top handle is entirely worthless as a limber .Sure a small rear handle might be easier but if all you have is a top handle it will get-er-done .

For that matter a 200T will get-er-done pretty quickly .Until within the last year I had basically no 3 cuber as a limber until I stumbled into an 024 Stihl they worked real well .

Thank You Sponsors!