iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawing 25 foot logs

Started by gdingee, June 19, 2009, 09:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdingee

I have acustomer who would like 25 foor logs sawn on two sides to construct a log cabin. What is the easy way to saw logs of this length?

Bibbyman

Do you have an extension for your Wood-Mizer?   If not, there is a way – but I wouldn't call it easy. 

Here is how we sawed some 28' beams on our Wood-Mizer LT40.  Roller toe boards makes it a lot easier.

https://forestryforum.com/tips/tips.cgi?display:1061208316-32360.txt
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

gdingee

I do not have an extension.

MotorSeven

If it's a big order I would go ahead and build or buy an extension. Then you are ready for the next long order and it's paid for.

RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Bibbyman

How many would have to be 25' – considering walls would have windows and doors? 

You may be able to locate a used extension. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dan_Shade

How accurate do they have to be?

Sawing logs longer than the deck is doable, but time consuming and also a hassle.

I've done it, but I prefer to only do it for farmers from now on.  Tension can also cause some problems
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

stonebroke

Why only for farmers?

Stonebroke

Don K

I imagine only because they will probably be using only in a application where some movement would not matter too much. I can hear them now, " Aw, it's ok if it bows a little bit, I'm just using it on the barn."  ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Chuck White

Farmers are usually great people to work with/for!

Most are not real picky when it comes to sawing something a little different.

I sawed a couple of beams last summer using the same method as Bibbyman describes in the earlier post!
It's not difficult, but you need enough help to slide the beam back and forth as required.

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

gdingee

Been away for a day or 2 so just catching up. Visitied the sight this week and in addition to the 25' logs, there is an issue with space- logs are actually in tree length so I did some education regarding where to buck them to maximize the logs. He will be able to use some shorter material if a piece cannot make the full 25 ' length.

I also was able to offer suggestons how to increase his yard as there was absolutely no room to place my mill. let alone off load slabs and lumber- good thing I checked out the sight before hauling the mill to begin work!

I think I can see how to do the job from Bibby's link. If nothing else it will be a learning experience for me to take to my next job.

I also wonder how to charge for the job.

Oregon_Sawyer

Charge by the hour for the long logs.   I only did it by the bd ft. when I was cutting a lot of other material for the customer. I always tried to cut the first cut with the big end towards me.  I would cut as far as I could and then turn 180 and cut the other side full length by moving the log on the rollers and then turn it back over and cut the opposite side.  Get rid of as much side cut as possible fast to lighten the log.  You can bring the slabs back later.
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Brucer

"Shuttling" one or two logs is OK, but it gets to be a pain real fast.

My latest contract has 50 pieces in the 22' - 26' range, so I planned on buying a 6' extension before I even bid the job. I thought I had everything lined up, but Wood-Mizer Canada West ended up selling the 2 extensions they had in stock just before I won the bid. Next order wasn't going to be shipped before the end of the contract :(. Marv took care of me, however. He had a customer who wanted to upgrade from a 6' extension to a 24' extension. Marv put us in touch with each other and I ended up with a used extension in great shape for a decent price.

I charge a lot more for long timbers, even when they fit comfortably on the extended mill. The side lumber is a pain to deal with (I buck it to shorter lengths on the mill before edging it).

When I do have to shuttle a really long timber, I do it exactly the opposite of Bibbyman. Fat end towards me, pointy end overhanging the far end of the mill. That increases the chance of getting it on the mill with the loading arms and no extra equipment. It's also easier to turn.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!