iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is it?

Started by gibby, June 20, 2009, 09:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gibby

I need help the ID of this log/board.

It was cut down in the northeast New Jersey.

When it was sawed the smell of the dust was sweet pungent.

woodtroll

with a quick scroll through the pics, the last one makes me think sassafras. The 2nd to last looks like it also, good grain, darker wood, strong smelling. Sassafras is my guess.

SwampDonkey

I'll second that motion.  ;D The lumber will look similar to black ash, that one piece with the natural edge sure fits the bill.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

Could also might be catalpa.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

woodtroll

catalpa wood is very similar. The bark is different, and less fragrant.

SwampDonkey

It has a faint kerosene odor and rings are sometimes sinuous (wavy) because they vary in width along an individual ring. Would you confuse it for ash, I don't know?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

gibby

when i cut it the smell was to knock you over, sweet cinnamon

thanks for the help

gibby

Tom

My first inclination was to call it a Persimmon.  One of the tests for a persimmon tree is to bore through the bark with the point of a knife, and you will see a brilliant orange color there.

Most older persimmon has dark hearts, this one doesnt .   There may be areas of dark (almost black) wood scattered throughout the sapwood.  This one looks like it might.

Lanier_Lurker

The bark looks more like sassafras than persimmon - especially in the last picture.  None of the horizontal fissures that cross the verticals and yield blocks like you usually see on persimmon - especially one that size.

The orange color and smell you mention are strong clues for sassafras as well.  If it is sassafras then that is a nice log for that species.

ely

my vote is persimmon, if i have a vote.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bitternut

I side with those that say its Sassafras. I have a whack of wood in my shed that came from a log that looked exactly like the one pictured. It also had the same fragrance as described when it was milled. The dried boards are very light weight after drying. Haven't figured out what to make with it yet, its on my gonna list though. :D

woodtroll

I have seen some very nice furniture made with Sassafras. It takes oil or stain very well and has a great grain pattern.

jrdwyer

Sassafras. I think it has beautiful natural wood color in furniture and it is also used for canoe paddles and wooden boat parts.

Mike_Barcaskey

I'd say sassafras, always has a peppery smell to me
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

tyb525

We have some sassafras on our property, I haven't found any big enough to cut and mill. Not sure if I would want to though, I'd like to keep. Sassafras smells like fruit loops to me, and that grain and bark looks like others I've seen. I agree with others that say the barks is not blocky enough to be persimmon.

Great looking lumber you got there!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Tom

Well....... It's not Sweet Gum, either.  :-\  :D

I've tasted Sassafrass before.  Pretty good stuff.  I don't keep up with the Government's assessment though.  In reading some articles that I found on Google, I learned that the FDA banned Sassafrass root as a flavoring agent in root beer.  It turns out that it causes permanant Liver Damage and doesn't show up for years.  I didn't know that. :-\

OneWithWood

and to think all this time I thought it was alcohol that I needed to be concerned about  :D

drank a bunch of sassafrass tea through the years so if any liver damage shows up that's what I'm blaiming it on!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

You could sub black or yellow birch, just tap it in spring time and boil it down to a mint tasting syrup. ;D Call it birch extract.  8)

Tom

What does it do to you?       :D

SwampDonkey

Straight up, good for whatever ales ya. :)

Tom

What-a Birch!
When I was a little fellow, there were two snake oil bottles available that would fix anything .  Geritol was one of them and Hadacol was the other.  Now and again a Hadacol bottle would show up in the kitchen and Grandmomma would get so Ma-a-a-ad!!  She had a heck of a time training Granddaddy the difference.  ;D

WDH

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 24, 2009, 04:49:20 PM
You could sub black or yellow birch, just tap it in spring time and boil it down to a mint tasting syrup. ;D Call it birch extract.  8)

Tom, it causes odd behavior in Canadians.

I rest my case ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Keep the Essence of wild strawberry handy Tom. ;D

gibby

WOW all these posts over my one stick.

I am not going to drink it or eat it, i will dry it and someday build something with it.

Next time i talk to the tree guy that cut it down i will ask him what he thinks it is.

thanks for all the posts, i love this forum, i just wish i had more time to read other posts.

gibby

Thank You Sponsors!