iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Holland tractor?

Started by livemusic, March 09, 2017, 04:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

I need a tractor for 57 acres. About 8 acres is pasture, which will need bushhogging and the rest is woods. I am also wanting to buy more land, more combo land... mostly trees but some open ground. Some might be rowcrop land, I haven't bought it yet, lol, but I've got my eye on a couple of parcels. Nothing largescale as far as farming, but I could use a tractor for general farm/ranch/woodlot use. As for trees, skidding and maintaining roads. Bushhog the pasture. Might plant some food plots. Might raise a garden. Move some dirt here and there, move firewood here and there. A lot of mights. But, I am def in the market for a tractor.

A man I know has a 2016 New Holland 75 hp with 96 hours, "T4.75," whatever that is. It has the fancy cab with a/c, a front end loader, a hay bale stinger and a 12' Bush Hog brand bushhog mower. It's in great shape, looks as new as it is. He bought all of the above brand new for $70k and he is asking $53k. I don't know if this is a good price or not. Anyone have an opinion about the brand and the price? I really didn't envision having that big of a Bush Hog, not sure about that part of it. I guess they call it a bat wing, has center section and a wing on each side.
~~~
Bill

W5E2J

While that certainly is a nice tractor / bushhog combo, it is overkill for the number of acres that you have.  If you had 200 acres of pasture, then it would be a good size.  A 30 to 40 hp 4wd drive tractor and 6 ft bushhog  with logging winch will do an amazing amount of work on your parcel and it will probably cost 1/2 that amount. Especially if you want to work a garden, the smaller tractor is more versatile.  Ultimately  you need to decide how many acres you will be working and what types of uses tractor will see.  If there is a lot of tillage, or raising hay then the larger size could be justified. W Jones

Riwaka

The cabbed tractor is probably a good idea if your area has hornets or ground nesting bees, waps etc that you could accidentally mow over.
I think you might find the T4.75 is a common rail engine, which may not like stored aged diesel if you do not do a lot engine hours with the tractor or if the quality of your diesel does not meet the European standards where the engine was developed. (Maybe look for a Tier 2 machine instead if you have a good NH tractor dealer in your area.) You could always mow neighbours' properties if their tractors breakdown etc.
The 12 foot mower sounds a bit wide for the tractor horsepower if you mow elephant grass or something similar, depends on the vegetation coarseness, bulk etc. Look to see what your neighbours with similar properties use to mow/ bush hog etc with.

gspren

I would bet that what ever you get will receive very low hours per year and the newer tractors with electronics/computers are not as easy to keep running as some of the older stuff. My 1988 JD2355 4X4 with loader would do your acreage well and with a 6' bushhog cost half that amount. A 50-75HP tractor from any of the main brands 20-30 years old were tough heavy tractors that just keep on running.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

luvmexfood

I too think that is a little larger tractor than you need. A little big to get around in the woods with making food plots etc. Probably something in the 45 hp range would suit you better. If not in a hurry watch for local estate sales. A good older tractor would do you good. Less money and easier to shade tree mechanic on. Just my two cents but have been on family farm for over 50 years. 160 acres and use a 45hp tractor for all.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

thecfarm

I do my place with a 40hp NH. Also have a 30hp one too. The 40hp is the work horse. Wife mows the fields with the 30,once very 2 weeks with a frail mower. I dig rocks,smooth out places,haul out wood and dig dirt with the 40. I would suggest a 4wd.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BargeMonkey

Can't really go wrong with a NH tractor. We recently bought a new T4.95 and it's like getting in a space ship with the electronics and display. Honestly the newer stuff is mostly dealer only for repairs. You can mow 8 acres with a 12ft batwing mower quick 😂 I will say the larger tractors are nice, but you do reach a point with the loader where they aren't handy to see around. I would go on "tractorhouse", that's an odd HP tractor and a hard sell up here. Skidsteer coupler plate is almost a must, I assume this one your looking at has one. Doesn't take much to run plumbing to the front for attachments. Honestly a 8ft "woods"brush hog is plenty, but depends what type of fields your mowing, we have alot of rock up here. I wouldn't jump on the first deal you find, piles of low hr tractors around.

livemusic

I guess I should look at tractors made with a cab and a/c with lower horsepower, say, in the 35-50 hp range. A quick search did reveal that they exist. We do have a lot of ground-nesting bees and hornets here. I know a guy who ran over one and they tore him up, he couldn't get away. It was a bee that I have never seen before. He told me about it and I went to see them entering/exiting their nest and just like he said, it was the fastest bee I have ever seen! We killed some and sent them off for ID. I forget what they were but the agency did identify them. Especially poking around in the woods, you can't go fast to get away, lol. Plus, it's nice to have a/c. I tell ya, working in the summer here is brutal and gets worse each year it seems.

On another note, I saw a friend last night who has an 83 hp John Deere and he bought it new just a few years ago for MUCH less than they go for these days. I can't imagine such a price increase. I don't know how he got such an incredible price. He paid $24k and it's a very nice tractor. Full cab, a/c, front end loader.

Somebody mentioned a skidsteer coupler plate... what is that? Is that a plate that you could hang implements on that one can put onto a tractor? Because there are lots of implements for a skidsteer, is that why?
~~~
Bill

tawilson

That is correct. I've got a 45hp New Holland tractor. After I got a skidsteer I modified the loader on the tractor to a skidsteer bracket so I could swap buckets, stone forks and pallet forks between the two. I also made an attachment that accepts a trailer hitch. That's been real handy.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

TKehl

Quote from: livemusic on March 10, 2017, 08:22:34 AM
I guess I should look at tractors made with a cab and a/c with lower horsepower, say, in the 35-50 hp range. 

Somebody mentioned a skidsteer coupler plate... what is that? Is that a plate that you could hang implements on that one can put onto a tractor? Because there are lots of implements for a skidsteer, is that why?

I'll second... or fourth (lost count)  :) the 40-50 HP range.  4x4 and a loader would be very beneficial.  Only concern about a cab is watching out for branches in the woods that can break the glass.  Buy a pole saw and keep the paths clear or plan to build some guards.

The skid steer coupler is for the loader.  Designed to be easy to connect and disconnect.  There is a lip on the implements (bucket, grapple, forks etc.) that the loader slides into allowing it to be picked up without getting off the equipment.  Two levers then lock it into place.

There are several other styles.  On our IH 706 (1960's model) it nearly requires 2 people and a pry bar to swap between forks and buckets.  You have to line up the holes and slide the hinge pins through the loader holes and the fork holes like a 3 point, but with less flexibility.  They are all convertible, but we are looking to upgrade tractors so haven't done it yet. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

TKehl

Also, don't overlook tax implications.  Year before last there was a special provision that new (brand new, not used and new to you) equipment could be depreciated 50% in year of purchase even if showing a loss on the enterprise.  Otherwise standard depreciation rules apply.

Not sure if still in effect, but if it is, there could be a benefit to buying a new one as opposed to a nearly new one.  (Disclaimer:  I am not a tax attorney or CPA.  This is not legal advice.)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

caveman

When I was looking for a tractor several years ago, I had several things that I wanted my tractor to have.  The top of the list was front hydraulics with skid steer hook up.  Next, if the tractor was under 100 hp, I wanted 4wd.  I preferred ag tires and also wanted power steering. 

I called a couple of local tractor dealerships and asked to speak to their hungriest salesman.  I told the salesmen at the various dealerships the above criteria and asked them to call me if they had a late model tractor that was over 50 hp, fit the criteria and was priced to sell.  They knew that I was looking for a deal.  After a few weeks, I got a call about an M7040 Kubota, which I purchased.

Contrary to several opinions above, I think this size tractor (70hp)

gets around pretty well in the woods and it also has enough lifting capacity move decent sized loads-sometimes it is still not enough for the task at hand.  Also, I specifically did not want a cab tractor.  Yellow jackets encouraged me to hop off and leave it running one time and a/c would be nice most days but operating in, around and under trees, I would probably have busted most of the glass out by now.
Caveman

Puffergas

Used a 75HP 4wd with front end loader in the woods for about 25 years, never thought it was too big.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

thecfarm

The rocks,the rocks,the rocks. How could I forget about the rocks.  ::)   I could not get a 12 foot bush hogs between some of my rocks. The wife mows the fields about once every 2 weeks with a frail mower,60 inch wide. Takes longer than the 6 foot wide mower we use to have,but I can take that frail in more places.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dsgsr

Is this tractor 4wd, does it have a loader? If so this is a good deal and don't be worried about to much HP, Never heard anyone say they have to much HP with a tractor. You will have to be careful in the woods with a Glassed Cab. The 12' mower can always be sold and use the $$ for a smaller mower. Looks like the HP is engine NOT pto, that means a lot. 75 engine hp means 60 to 65 pto hp which is not a lot when mowing.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Piston

I was quoted 48k for a brand new, fully loaded with all options, t4.75 just before they went tier 4.
I think this guy overpaid for the tractor or that 12' was a really lot. You can buy a brand new 4.75 for 55k with loader.
That is a really nice tractor!
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

livemusic

Quote from: Piston on March 14, 2017, 05:07:45 AM
I was quoted 48k for a brand new, fully loaded with all options, t4.75 just before they went tier 4.
I think this guy overpaid for the tractor or that 12' was a really lot. You can buy a brand new 4.75 for 55k with loader.

What does "just before they went tier 4" mean?

As for the bush hog, I see a new 12' Bush Hog bush hog on Ebay for $12k.

To David, above, yes, I said in my first post that it has a front end loader.

As for determining fair market value for a used tractor, I wonder if there is any kind of 'formula' for general use. Like, deducting x-amount per hour of time on it, etc.
~~~
Bill

Jemclimber

Tier 4 is the new emissions requirement. They became more expensive with more electronics. Electronics that put the tractor in regeneration mode every so often or something to that effect. I bought mine the year before they went to tier 4.  A tractor guru can probably explain it better.   
lt15

TKehl

Quote from: livemusic on March 14, 2017, 06:13:53 AM
As for determining fair market value for a used tractor, I wonder if there is any kind of 'formula' for general use. Like, deducting x-amount per hour of time on it, etc.

We look at similar tractors on Equipment Trader and C-List.  Something that new, the dealer may be able to provide input as well. 

There is also a tractor Blue Book, but I don't know anything beyond it's existence.

petefrom bearswamp

Let me put in a plug for orange.
Granted this was 10 yrs ago now but my brand new 8540 Kubota 85hp, no cab 4wd, front loader w/ 7' bucket, pallet forks and loaded rear tires was 30 K out the door.
I mounted my Farmi winch on it.
this has been a very trouble free unit and it sips fuel.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

dsgsr

Quote from: Piston on March 14, 2017, 05:07:45 AM

Lets see, 55K Plus 12K = 67K Plus Taxes here in Maine that would 5% so that would be 70,350. Yes he could have negotiated for a better deal but I don't think he drastically over paid.

In the tractor world 96 hours is Brand New. So 53K IS a good deal.

Back to the OP, I don't think you would want any less hp. I do think the mower is overkill for what you are mowing and as I said, sell the mower (it's almost New) and get a 8 or 10' mower.

I know this is kind of tooting my own horn, but I've had 5-tractors since '98 and have put over 10,000 hours on them. So this is something I have a little experience with.

David 
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

petefrom bearswamp

My Kubota replaced a 1967 JD 4020, 95HP  a nice tractor but not made for woods as took too much space to turn around and i kept breaking front spindles..
I stand corrected found my invoice and price was 31,500.
Same dealer sold New Holland too back then and they were more.
Im sure they are good iron too.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Onthesauk

Both JD and New Holland appear to be trying to get most of their big stuff out on lease,  I haven't looked for a year but at that time there was a lot of two year old lease returns coming in and very well priced.  Might be worth checking anyway.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

glassman_48

livemusic,
My first new holland was a 29 h.p. with a soft curtis cab, I could take the soft doors off in summer and still have the roof to keep me out of the sun, the soft cab has glass in front with a windshield wiper too.  In winter, the heater is by my right knee, right side stays warm, left side not so warm:)  That tractor had hydrostatic drive and I could slip under a pile of logs easy to load my firewood processor and I put a rear mounted snowblower on the back and kept the bucket on front so I could break through hard snow in winter with my bucket to snowblow my neighbors driveways.  I needed a larger tractor to lift 2,000 pound pallets so I got a 45 hp new holland with regular shuttle shift (not hydrostatic drive)  I also put a curtis soft cab on that one, I do not like that one as much as my hydrostatic drive.  The 47 hp in hydro would not lift 2,000 pounds a few years ago when I was looking.  My new holland dealer told me they now have a boomer 47 hp in hydrostatic drive that will lift 2300 pounds, I am getting the factory cab and the same rear mount snow blower set up as my first tractor.  It will probably be the last tractor I will need.  I have literally never had any problems with my new hollands unless it was self induced by me:(.  I also have one of the greatest dealers for new hollands anywhere, it is family run and one of the sons is my salesman, I have never seen a guy hustle as hard as he does for me.  I would go to a dealer and try both types of drive systems if you have a lot of stop and go where you have to clutch a lot, then I would go hydrostatic drive.  Good luck

YellowHammer

I've owned and run several New Hollands, and currently own a T4.95 with cab.  Previous to that, I had a TN70 with loader which I used for logging in the woods, clearing fencelines, (our perimeter fence was 3.25 miles), smallish corn and bean plots of about 10 or so acres, and lots of mowing for the cattle pastures.  I ran a 6 foot bush hog with the TN70 and it was a perfect size. 

I also had a TC40 hydrostatic with loader, and it worked best with a lightweight 5 foot mower. 

All of these tractors are very reliable, and have had minimum repairs. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

kensfarm

YellowHammer..  I ditto the very reliable.. both 4WD.. bought the TC35D new in 2000.. the TN65S is a 2006.. bought used in 2010 w/ less then 200hrs.  The TC35 is hydrostatic and has over 4000hrs on it now..  TN65 has electronic shuttle shift.. 4 ranges.. 4 gears.. used it to plant 65 acres of soybeans for last 5 years. 

YellowHammer

Kensfarm,
Thats the kind of tractoring I do, all weather, churning thick mud to the rims, and get the job done.  That's the reason for four wheel drive, in a picture.   8)
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!