iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you carry all your gear?

Started by longtime lurker, March 14, 2017, 05:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longtime lurker

Following on from yesterdays nearly burnt the skidder story, I gotta ask where you fit all your junk on your equipment.

I've driven off with the handbrake engaged on the 666 maybe 3 times: always with a big enough log attached that I couldn't notice she was dragging, always when I've had a saw sitting on the grab bar rail across the front.

Its the only place I can fit a big saw on her. Axe stands down between the side of the winch and frame, bag with wedges, tapes, first aid kit etc on a hook above and behind the winch control where it can swing across and hit me in the rough, saw fuel in the chain box by the fairlead, hardhat hangs on the extinguisher where it can bounce off and tangle with the blade and steering controls.

Same on the dozer... Aircab makes it tighter still but I cram all my gear in there and squeeze in between it.

You'd think when designing woods machines they'd give some thought to places to put all the stuff you carry in there with you, but most machines are hard pressed for room for lunchbox and water bottle.

So where/how do you fit stuff on yours? I really need to figure a rack for the saw, but its got to be somewhere accessible and protected. I hate leaving saws on the ground - that's where they get run over.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

thecfarm

I saw one guy made a box behind the blade for his oil and gas. He just used the oil jugs for gas. This was 30 years ago. I have no idea where he kept his saw.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maine logger88

When I have ran clarks in the past I put the saw on the floorboard behind my feet my gas and oil tucked around the winch and I wear my hard hat while skidding case I've wacked my head off the cage hard enough a few times I don't wanna know how it feels without a helmet lol.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

bushmechanic

The C4 I have there now had a box made on the back of the cab.

Mountain_d

I think they design them like this as to discourage placing things like saws in the cab where they become projectiles during a rollover.  But we need to get around that so we carry it anyway. I can fit two saws in my TJ 230 plus gas plus oil. I will take a few pics on the weekend and post them later.  I saw fellow in the gallery with a saw holder on the inside of the door of his 230. Looked handy. I don't have a door so no good for me.
Mountain D.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Puffergas

Saw fits nice in what would be the passenger side of the TJ225. Easy to get at from that side and room for more stuff. Hard hat sets on my head.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

sandersen

Never have seen a better cab for my carrying saws oil gas tool box and even a rifle during huntin season than a TJ cab.  It's one of the big selling points at least from my biased viewpoint.
"Make every step count."

Maine logger88

Yes the jacks have a good place for saws and gear. And yes they beat you up if you roll over (don't ask how I know lol) my 540 has plenty of room on the fuel tank for two saws and a I keep gas oil and wedges in the arch. But there are some skidders you have to get creative with
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Spartan

Quote from: sandersen on March 14, 2017, 08:09:28 PM
Never have seen a better cab for my carrying saws oil gas tool box and even a rifle during huntin season than a TJ cab.  It's one of the big selling points at least from my biased viewpoint.

Huh... I have a detroit TJ and when I am running it, I don't see any animals... ever.  except squirrels and birds fleeing for their lives.
How do you?  Do you feed them in the off hours?  Or, you have a cummins.

longtime lurker

Laffin about the Detroit... Screaming Demons are why I take my hardhat off, it interferes with my earmuffs and they're a must.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Spartan

you know, 1 year ago, my machine fell off a log on the downhill side and the canopy brace hit me in the side of the head.  Whap!  Had to leave the job, had a  hard time spelling my name at the E.R.  Gave me a concussion.  Still hurts in the same spot one year later.  I was not wearing a hard hat.
I would hate to think what the damage would be like if I was wearing one.  I at least had padding with my wool hat and the padding on the earmuffs.  I wear a metal brain bucket when falling, but not skidding.

I pack my shovel on the cage behind me above my head.  Saw in between the handle bar and the air pre-cleaner.  I have a tool box on my left.  All oil, and fluids and graese gun go in the space behind me in my battery box.  My falling Belt I just hang from the cage.  I can get pretty crowded though.

so il logger

On my 450c tj, saw rides in the cab and my pack jugs "2 b&c oil jugs tied together" ride beside the winch.

Hard hat stays on my noggin, even though its a closed cab. Of the skidders I've worked around I have to say the handiest ones for packing stuff was the c4d and c6e. The 4 had a large trunk like space behind the winch. The 6 had a large area behind the winch as well, but it wasn't a recessed hole. The boom cylinders held saws from sliding off it.

After having and running several without doors, I really appreciate doors.  ;D

Spartan

Quote from: so il logger on March 14, 2017, 10:38:21 PM
On my 450c tj, saw rides in the cab and my pack jugs "2 b&c oil jugs tied together" ride beside the winch.

Hard hat stays on my noggin, even though its a closed cab. Of the skidders I've worked around I have to say the handiest ones for packing stuff was the c4d and c6e. The 4 had a large trunk like space behind the winch. The 6 had a large area behind the winch as well, but it wasn't a recessed hole. The boom cylinders held saws from sliding off it.

Yeah, I wish I had doors.  I've been pinned inside before.  I know I sound like a walking disaster, but really, I'm quite safe.  Just the nature of the game I guess.  You spend enough time doing something and you get the full spectrum.

so il logger

Quote from: Spartan on March 14, 2017, 10:47:44 PM
Quote from: so il logger on March 14, 2017, 10:38:21 PM

Yeah, I wish I had doors.  I've been pinned inside before.  I know I sound like a walking disaster, but really, I'm quite safe.  Just the nature of the game I guess.  You spend enough time doing something and you get the full spectrum.

I've been there. A few times, that's why I love doors.

Only time I dislike doors is if I have to get out on a sidehill and drag cable.

sandersen

Quote from: Spartan on March 14, 2017, 09:25:22 PM
Quote from: sandersen on March 14, 2017, 08:09:28 PM

Huh... I have a detroit TJ and when I am running it, I don't see any animals... ever.  except squirrels and birds fleeing for their lives.
How do you?  Do you feed them in the off hours?  Or, you have a cummins.

The sound of a Detroit was always like a dinner bell for whitetails who fed on the tops.  If winter came hard and early they'd step in to feed on fresh tops while we headed for the yard. 
"Make every step count."

sandersen

Quote from: Spartan on March 14, 2017, 10:19:32 PM
you know, 1 year ago, my machine fell off a log on the downhill side and the canopy brace hit me in the side of the head.  Whap!  Had to leave the job, had a  hard time spelling my name at the E.R.  Gave me a concussion.  Still hurts in the same spot one year later.  I was not wearing a hard hat.
I would hate to think what the damage would be like if I was wearing one.  I at least had padding with my wool hat and the padding on the earmuffs.  I wear a metal brain bucket when falling, but not skidding.

Wow Spartan that's nasty...it has happened to me too and you make a very good point about the brace on the driver's side in later 200 series jacks.  It's why I always preferred the older open cabs, then you could weld in protection on the far side and front, but leave the doorway open.  I'd like to find out your location in MT.  It'd be great to have a jack fan nearby to talk parts with.     
"Make every step count."

Spartan

Plankton

I have a clark 664 and have always though that was the one downside, no place to stash stuff.

I found and old bent tool box with no lid and bolted it in on my right behind the steer/blade lever. That's where all the small stuff goes the collection of the right sockets 1/2 wrench spare tape scrunch etc. Can fit quite a bit of stuff in there. Behind that I put a 50cc saw bar down and have a bungee cord rigged up to strap through the handle bar to keep it from bouncing around.
I always were my tinhat in the skidder have hit my head on the cage plenty times in rougher stuff that I wouldn't drive without it.
Axe goes next to the winch.

That's my skidding setup, 50cc for bumping missed limbs and any misc. Cutting needed.

When I drive the skidder out at the same time Im falling I cram my gas and oil and falling saw on the floorboard, very tight and I can't reach the brake pedal but they barely work anyways...

Corley5

I've considered dragging the crummy behind the harvester so I'd what I needed when it broke  ;) ;D :D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

62oliver

A handy spot for the saw, I just carry the rest in the cab, but ya, it gets crowded.
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

killamplanes

My 440 has a box area behind winch below the arch. Not perfect but works for 2 saws and support...
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Spartan

Quote from: 62oliver on March 16, 2017, 08:18:49 AM

A handy spot for the saw, I just carry the rest in the cab, but ya, it gets crowded.

Ha!
I carry a 268 as well.  But it has a 272 top end.
Or, is that a 266?  I see that in your sig.  Looks like an 8 for the last number in the pic.
Neat set up.

Wudman

Guys....whatever you carry in the cab, please get it secured.  We had a fatality on one of our jobs years ago due to a toolbox in the skidder.  The machine rolled a number of times.  The toolbox fatally injured the operator.  Along the same lines, we had a forester severely injured in a pick-up rollover.  He had a glass Mountain Dew bottle in his cup holder.  It broke when the truck flipped and acted like a pinball inside the cab.  The driver's face was the bumper. 

Wudman 
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

teakwood

Quote from: killamplanes on March 16, 2017, 07:01:58 PM
My 440 has a box area behind winch below the arch. Not perfect but works for 2 saws and support...

same on my 540, that box is worth money!!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

62oliver

Quote from: Spartan on March 16, 2017, 08:04:50 PM
Quote from: 62oliver on March 16, 2017, 08:18:49 AM

Ha!
I carry a 268 as well.  But it has a 272 top end.
Or, is that a 266?  I see that in your sig.  Looks like an 8 for the last number in the pic.
Neat set up.

Its a 266
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Thank You Sponsors!