iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clark Skidder 664c Detroit 353 front seal leak - easy fix?

Started by lshobie, March 23, 2017, 10:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lshobie

Hi Everyone, I own a mid 70's Clark 664C ranger skidder, this thing is awesome and has been running strong for us for the last 5 years - and for others since it was made = for us 5 days a week 9-10 hours a day. I have no idea how much time is on the motor but it's a lot of time - the mechanic who looked at it last said the motor hasn't been out of it in a couple of decades most likely.

It runs strong, I put new injectors in it and had the rack set up which made it run even better. There is a leak at the governor that has been happening for a few years but it is small, but recently this winter it has been leaking oil out one or more of the front seals. The rad fan actually is reversed and blows air out the rad through the front of the machine - so it is full of oil and dust now . I'll be digging into it in the next couple of days but I am putting my game plan together now for when I find the issue.

I'm thinking its the front crank seal - is it possible to change that seal in the skidder? What about any of the other front seals?

Thanks.

Louie
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

bushmechanic

It's not too bad of a job for the front oil seal, the worst part of it is trying to get the pulley off in the machine (no room). There are sleeves and o/s seals available if the crank is worn in a groove. As for the top seals those are easy, pull off the large nut and with a couple of screwdrivers pry off the pulley, there is a seal and a collar in there. The top seals are usually the first to leak.

Spartan

biggest pain in the butt is getting the nuts off and figuring how to hold the crank and cams still.  I had to use a 5 foot cheater to get mine off.  I did my crank seal without taking the cover off.  Had to make a small puller to get the sleeve off the crank, and that was not easy either.  Had to carefully cut part of it with a dremel.  But, thats cause I didn't want to take the front cover off, yours may come off easier.  you need to get a new sleeve with your new seal, the old one most likely has a groove in it.  Cam/balancer seals are pretty easy.

Thank You Sponsors!