iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OWB Backup generator size

Started by Logging logginglogging, November 19, 2012, 02:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logging logginglogging

what size generators are u guys using to power the stoves when the lights go out? My father has a large one now that runs the stove fine  but we tried a smaller one once and the draw was too great and it stalled the generator.

NWP

I have a 3500 watt. It doesn't take much.  All it is running is the circulator pump and the blower motor.  The problem is that I don't have a way to run my air handler units.  So the stove is ok and circulates water, but I can't blow the heat off the exchangers.  We very rarely lose power so it doesn't worry me much.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

mojamboo

I have a 7000 watt, 8000 surge Costco (champion) generator tied into a gen-tran panel for the house.

We wanted to live while the power is out, so we had to consider furnace, circulators, well pump, and then 90% of the house.

Love it...as I am on a dead end dirt road, off a dead end dirt road, off a dirt road, we aren't top of the power companies list during outages.  :D.

woodmills1

I like it, dead end dirt, off dirt, off dirt, :P

sorry first time I forgot my comma's
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

upsnake

5500 generac, tied to the house.

Have the owb in the winter, (so frustrating to have a wood burning thing, but no way to get heat).

And the sump pump in the summer to worry about.

Eventually plan on getting a whole house propane standby one.

thecfarm

I use a 6000 watt to run the furnace and the well pump and a few outlets and lights. I had a gentrac hooked up to an outside plug. We also have a gas light. Works real nice to light up the house with.Only used it twice in 12 years. I forgot what outlets we had wired with it. But I did put my circulators on a plug.I just plug them both into an outlet on the furnace. I could use a real small generator,if needed,just to circulate the water through my lines.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Logging logginglogging

I plan to simply kill the breaker and backfeed into the stove outlets to run circulator and blower. Thats how we did it on my fathers OWB with no problems.

I need to do some research on a good generator.

NWP

^ That's exactly the same thing I do.  I made a pigtail with 2 male plugs that I leave in the door of the stove .
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Thank You Sponsors!