iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting beams and lumber with a Haddon lumber maker.

Started by richhiway, March 10, 2014, 06:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richhiway

For a little over a hundred dollar investment. I wanted to see how well a chainsaw could cut boards for myself. I already had the old Sthil farmboss. It was a learning experience and takes some practice,but you can cut decent lumber with a set up like this. It does take some time but with a helper I would be able to cut a eight foot eighteen inch log into 2X6s in about an hour. The farmboss is a little less then a 4hp low rpm saw but it would run the 30 inch bar through pine fairly easy. Unless you want to cut large slabs you don't need a 30 inch bar,24inch would be fine.Of course a larger faster saw would speed things up. 

on a small log you can screw the guide board onto the log. You then cut down one side and back up the other side. If you use a 4"(3 1/2) wide board you get a 4"wide cant. You then turn it and make a beam or if you want 2X4's you cut off two inches a cut. If you use a 6"(5 1/2) board you make a 6" cant,etc.On a larger log you level a board to each end of the log and the mount the guide board to it. You then can cut multiple cants from one log by moving the board over.It is still best to go down one side of the guide board and back down the other as this gives you to parallel sides. If you move the guide board over and cut the other side of the log you need to make a careful measurement to ensure the two cuts are parallel.

A four inch cant.

A six inch cant. Now you lay it down and cut off your boards.

I just screwed a angle brac

ket to hold up the larger logs

A few beams.

Notice the chalk line above,it is a good way to start off your guide board.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

richhiway

I cut a few wedge shaped boards,It takes a little practice! It is a good way to cut large slabs and if you wanted to build something in the boonies and you had the time you could build a cabin with it. You can also use it to cut of the ends of a log square or you can mount the guide board to the wall of a log cabin to make a straight cut.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

36 coupe

I cut some 8x8 sills for the barn with the following tools .Chain saw,level. framing square and chalk line ,hammer and 2 shingle nails.Read an article in the old Farmstead Magazine.The first short practice log was rough but the next 2 came out good 18 and 22foot.Slung them under my Ford tractor and took them home.I had bought an alaskan chain saw mill but never got a bigger chain saw to run it.Bought a Thomas 6013 band saw mill later.I used a Haddon type lumbermaker to cut the cedar bunks to set the mill on.

richhiway

Used the lumbermaker to trim this large pine. It is about 26" at the butt. I am going to finish it into 1"X14" boards on my Logosol mill.

The 30 inch bar just made it. I wish it would warm up,it cuts eaiser when the logs are not frozen.

I ended up with a 14" cant, I am going to trim one more side and then sit it on the mill.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Onthesauk

I bought one of those a number of years ago.  Made some beams for a shed and a little lumber but they are a lot of work.  Think I probably should have gone to a bigger saw.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

drobertson

I always figured they would work,  I have been sawing worms by rip sawing pine for the chicken coop for awhile now. And even by free hand I have made some short boards that could be used for something.  One thing I have noticed is one of my saws runs without clogging, while the other clogs a little bit.  Nice work on the 2xs for sure,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

richhiway

the dogs are getting a new covered deck with the chainsaw lumber.

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

beenthere

rich
No doorway to walk in? Or to clean, just crawl through the dog door?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

I have one of those.  I've used it to cut up some red cedar and some small walnut.  I built myself a frame to put the logs on with some makeshift dogs.  That allowed me to turn the logs and I could index my cuts.  I used it with a smaller saw, so it was limited to some small logs. 

I also got a CD of how to make a metal frame for cutting with a chain saw.  Uses the same principal, but looks easier to use, and you can index your cuts better.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

jwilly3879

Ron Wenrich

Ebay.  I don't know if he's still selling them.  Its designed for small logs, but I believe you could do the same setup on a larger scale.  Here is a Youtube video of the setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss7nxJoB5_I
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

richhiway

No door or walls, it is just a covered deck,they like to be nosey and see what's going on!
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Ready for stain. 

And I have to get some more shingles for caps.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

backwoods sawyer

I done some milling for a guy that had an open dog house like yours for his dogs and he said thay spend more time under the building. ::) but grand kids used it when they came by. ;)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

thecfarm

Never seen one like that. Our dog stays in at night,but that would be nice for her on the front lawn.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

richhiway

Ha! We leave the dogs out on nice days,they come in at night too. It is for shade more then anything. The St Bernard likes it, the 3 goldens will just lay out in the rain. They will most likely lay on the ground under it or behind it!

Stained it last night.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

I think I might build one like it at our camp,the kids would love to sleep out in it.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!