iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coyotes

Started by J Beyer, January 01, 2003, 02:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitepe

We've got plenty of coyotes here in Central Illinois.
Hardly a week goes by and I'll see one while driving
to work.  If I go outside after dark about half the
time I can hear them howling.  Occasionally a pack
will drift by my bedroom window in the middle
of the night howling away.  I now get up from bed,
turn on the spotlights on the corners of the house
and immediately turn them back off. That will shut them
up.  They never stay in one place very long hence
their latin name canis latrans.
We had three wild horses running loose for about 10 years
around my place. One spring I cleaned two wheelbarrows
full of horse manure out of my yard.  A neighbor about
a mile away turned them loose. He was getting kind of
senile and thought they (the horses) should be set free.
One year I bought several bales of hay to feed them
when the snow was deep. It kept them from tromping
up my yard. ;D

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

DonT

We have lots of coyotes in my area.The ones behind my house start and then the ones across the road start,it can get pretty noisy at times.We have guys that chase them with big hounds but rarely shoot them.Usually I will see a couple hunting mice in the backyard a couple of times a year,there fun to watch.i do not have livestock so they are not really a problem.On the red wolf topic,biologists are doing DNA testing on the wolf population in algonquinn park,some believe that the resident wolf population are closely related to the red wolves of the south.   DonT

hawby

Back a few years ago, on a Disney program I think, they said that no place in the US are you more than 50 miles from a coyote's lair.

As for the pheasants, Michigan State University planted 30 Ringneck and Szecheuan females on our property 12 years ago. Fifteen of them had radio collars. Within 2 weeks, 1/2 of the radio collared ones were dead. Some hit in the road, the others predated by cats and ???. The guy that sat out in our yard listening with the receiver said that wild cats are the biggest problem with the live birds / chicks. Coons like the eggs.

After one month, the guy quit coming because he was down to one radio responder alive. Needless to say, I miss the birds. Usually have to walk 3-5 miles to see one rooster. I do hear them in the Spring, but no where near what they were before the "ice storm of '85."

The partridge count seems to be way down, as well. Gosh I miss those succulent tasting treats.....

klh
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Bibbyman

I thought I'd posted a story about Chris and his attempt to murder a poor old stupid coyote.  I found it back in case you missed it the first time.

The coyote and exploding mice

BTY,  the coyote population is up and down here.  Don't know what cleans them out but come spring and summer, they're back in numbers again.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Larry

Way to dam many of them in my neck of the woods.  They do a job on the rabbit population and by hunting season the rabbits are gone.  I don't know how bad they hurt the birds as we see more turkeys every year but the quail are almost gone even though I have built a bunch of brush piles.  The pheasants have completely disappeared.

20 - 25 years ago you could get $20 for a pelt but today you can't give one away.  10 years ago a lot of people would run them with dogs and keep them in control but with the city encroaching on the country most people with a few acres don't like to see the dogs running across there property and the hunters parked along the roads so that has ceased.  They are pretty good in teasing a house pet away from the yard and then the pet is gone.  I guess now the only control is when they run out of food to eat and starve or die of old age.
Larry
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Haytrader

Speaking of mountain lions. Well, someone did mention them.
There was a segment on ABC News just now about them. The lady that did all the work on living with chimps is now on the big cats. She says they are threatened so here we go again.
Haytrader

Brian_Bailey

We have a lot of coyotes here. They start singing, then get the dogs barking, then I start getting annoyed.

I had problems with coons climbing up the poles to my blue bird boxes and reaching in an snatching the babies. Finally put wire sheilds on the poles so the coons couldn't get to the boxes.

The state DEC released a bunch of bobcats near me several years ago, haven't heard of anyone coming up missing yet.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Dugsaws

Threre are enough here the local sportsman club is having a hunt for money,the biggest dog gets cash,I think its open to Pa Ohio and northern Wva. If anyone wants more info let me know will be glad to help as a friend of mine is in charge of the event. I think the dates are Jan 16-19.

Doug
Doug

Sawyerfortyish

Lots  of coy dogs here in N.J.  at least before deer season we shoot every one we see. Everyone I talk to shot em this year. The local fire dept has a siren and when it goes off you hear them crying on  all the wooded hills

Bibbyman

Some ten years ago my son Chris was in the Marines stationed at Camp Pendleton.  He came home for Christmas and I drove back with him.  We had a couple of days to kick around before he had to report back.  He took me on a tour of the base.  About sundown we were near one of the posts when they took down the colors and blew taps.  Chris said,  "Listen to this".  When they blew taps,  the coyotes in the hills went nuts almost drowning out the horn.

He had another interesting experience with a coyote while out there.  One day he was driving on base when he noted a dead coyote along the road.  Not wanting to let such a prize go to waste,  he threw it in his PU and took it back to his quarters.  He later skinned it and put the hide in a plastic bag.  A friend with family housing kept it for him in his freezer.  But he decided it would be great if he could boil the meet off the head (now without skin) for the skull.  (Why? Who knows?   He's a Marine.)  It would be awhile before he'd have a chance to do that so he wrapped the head in plastic wrap and put it in the little refrigerator that he shared with his roommate.   His roommate came in late one night and had the munchies.  He spotted what looked to him like a turkey leg wrapped in plastic.  He got a little shock when he unwrapped it and it had teeth and eyeballs!  It got out around the base that Chris had this head in his refrigerator and he got wind that the Sergeant was looking for him and was going to search his room for the head.  He thought it was some kind of satanic cult thing.  Chris managed to get there ahead of him and dispose of the coyote head.

It was on Camp Pendleton that I saw my first bobcat in the wild.  It was just inside the entrance and right among the family housing units.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

RMay

Way to many Coyotes & bobcats here thay have got the rabbit & quail almost gone if you go outside after dark you can hear them howing then the dogs start in barking back. >:(
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Frank_Pender

Say, fellas, I have 4 pelt stretchers you may borrow. 8) 8) 8)  the are hanging in my woodworking shop along with 25 beaver pelt boards all out of old growth, vertical grain Fir. ;D ;D
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!