iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My olympyk chainsaw keeps running hot

Started by chainman, July 06, 2013, 09:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chainman

I got a olympyk 264 F chainsaw. When I cut 3 or 4 blocks of wood, it will get hot and cut off. Then when I try to crank it back up it wont start. I let the saw sat for a hour or 2, it will start. But it will do the same thing again. Could someone tell me whats wrong with my saw,,,,,,Thanks

Ianab

One thing to check is the fuel tank vent.

If that's blocked the saw runs for a few minutes, then gets starved of fuel by the vacuum in the tank. Let it sit and the vacuum releases and it will start again.

Quick test is to open the gas gap, then try restarting. If that lets it start again, then that's a clue you need to look at the vent.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

chainman,welcome to the forum. How long have you owned this saw? Did it just start to happen? Or did it slowly get worse?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

I had an Olympic saw once, a long time ago. I was wondering if you had riped sawed with this saw, there may be some chips behind the muffler baffles.... It happened to mine, if not check if the muffler screen, if it is not starting to carbon up. Both of theses will make the saw run hotter then normal.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

chainman

I had the saw about 3 yeas. I brought it at a yard sale. it been running hot sense I had it,,,,,,Thanks

CTYank

Quote from: chainman on July 07, 2013, 09:26:49 AM
I had the saw about 3 yeas. I brought it at a yard sale. it been running hot sense I had it,,,,,,Thanks

Okay, how hot? What kind of temp? (All saws run hot, in point of fact, once warmed up. Really hot.) Clogged screen n/a- it'll just make all power output go away.

I'd also suspect the plug- easy to sub a known-good one. "Torch" plugs seem to get funky when hot. Various other plugs have been known to act up; they're cheap. Try NGK.

Next candidate is the ignition module. Easy to check. Pull the plug, connect one with gap around .1" vice the normal .020" to the cable and set the body against the head. Crank and look for spark. (Assuming you have electronic ignition; else first suspect is the capacitor.)
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

kenskip1

How about a clogged gas filter? Did someone mention a gas tank vent? Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

ladylake

Is it running lean, really screaming when held wide open with no load, if so adjust the high richer.  Plus all of the above it could be a bad coil which will act up when hot.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ed

The first thing I would do is dis-assemble (covers shrouds, etc.) the saw as far as you can (not knowing your skills) and clean it. Who knows how much debris is hiding under there, maybe enough cause problems and it eliminates one thing easily.

Ed

terrifictimbersllc

Another possibility to check, whether the air filter is becoming clogged with fuel as it is running, from some gas coming back out of the carburetor. When it stops running immediately take off the air filter and see if it is wet or smells like gas.  Also whether loosening or removing the air filter after it stops or about to stop will keep it running, same thing.  I wouldn't do this unless you've cleaned the air filter and surrounding areas though, you don't want dirt entering the carb intake.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!