iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 029 farmboss won't start

Started by outdoortype, July 27, 2005, 09:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoortype

My friend just pulled his 029 farmboss out after sitting 4 months in the attic above his garage.  The saw would not start.  He's blaming the gas.  However, some of his other saws had gas in them & they started fine.  Could being in a hot attic (its been 90+ degrees F for about 3 weeks now) have caused some of the fuel to vaporlock?  He wants to pull the jets out of the carb & clean it up.  I just thought that I could save him trouble.

fishhuntcutwood

I'd check gas, carb, and fuel filter first.  Those'd be the easiest things to check.

Jeff 
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

stihltech

check the fuel hose for cracks, usually where it comes out of the tank. Most replaced part on an 029/290.

jokers

Outdoortype,

Did this saw ever get started? I`d follow Stihltech`s suggestion and carefully inspect the fuel line. You`ll probably need a flashlight to see it well and a screwdriver or something to mive the fuel line away from it`s normal orientation to open the cracks up.

If the fuel and pulse lines check out, I would tear the carb down and clean it.
Sitting in the attic baking may have caused the carb to gum up.

Russ

oldschoolmiller

I have seen plenty of hoses melt in that kind of heat, or better

If there is a small crack the gas would have evaporated over time, and all that would be left in the filters and lines would be a bunch of goo clogging everything up 

It is my opinion he is lucky his garage didn't blow up/burn down  :o, spontanious combustion in an environment like that would not be too hard to fathom, I would tell him to keep his saws in a shaded shed out back, or in a cool basement.

outdoortype

Stihltech, you are right on the money!  My friend cleaned his carb to no avail.  He went to turn the saw over and saw the gas leak.  He replaced the fuel line and his 029 started up.  Haven't field tested it yet, but I think your suggestion rectified the problem.  Thanks for the info, gang!!!

Thank You Sponsors!