iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Picked up a Norse P367 winch

Started by shinnlinger, June 26, 2018, 05:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hello,
 I was helping an old timer move and he had all sorts of stuff but mentioned he was thinking of selling his tractor winch and some other farm implements.  I didn't even dicker and brought them home.  He is digging around for the manual, but anything I should know about maintenance or use of these units?

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

thecfarm

I don't do much maintenance to mine,besides grease.
Don't pull at a sharp angle or you could roll the tractor over. You might have a handle to run the winch? I have a rope,so I can get away from the tractor. Watch the slash coming towards you when winching.
I run 6 slides on mine. Sometimes only one is used,sometimes I wish there was more. I made up some 4 foot chains for the small stuff. Those get used more than the 8 foot chains.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shinnlinger

Where are the grease points as I don't want to miss any.  It appears I can loosen two bolts and the top  pops off.  Do I lube the chain?  Everything seems to turn and what not,  My tractor is only 34 horse so 2-3 of any size is probably all she wants.  I have an electric winch cob job I can mount on my back blade but this should work better.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

g_man

I have a Farmi but they are all similar. The only thing I grease is the pto shaft and the top pulley swivel bearing. You don't want any grease or oil migrating onto the clutch so go easy. I oil the main pulley and rope pulleys once in a while plus any pivots. Use a dry chain lubricant if anything on the chain. Any oil or grease there can easily find it's way to the clutch. A 30 hp tractor can do plenty of work. You will be surprised at what you can pull.
Besides what Ray said run your tractor RPM's 1500 or so to start. You will have plenty of torque down there and it will give you more time to react.

gg

thecfarm

g_man is on the money. There may be a block bearing? that has a grease fitting. And yes on what he said about the tractor rpm. I don't run mine up unless it's a big tree,one that I have to use most of the 8 foot chain.
And I lower the bucket and set the brake when I am winching too.
Get use to a rolling hitch. Kinda hard to explain,but you want the hook low to the ground and the hook on the correct side to turn the log over. I use it to get the limbs on the bottom to come to the top. Meaning what was on the ground is now on top. It's also easier on the equipment too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!