iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I.D. This Tree Please

Started by Solar_HoneyBee0, June 28, 2018, 01:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solar_HoneyBee0

Good evening everyone. So a little bit of a back story for these pictures. I was at my brother-in-laws today and he had this wood sitting in the back yard. I went to take a look and asked him about it. He said he got a great deal from a local guy selling wood. Well, I have an idea of the type of wood this is, but I don't want to say anything unless I have a overwhelming consensus here that I could also show him as proof. Don't want to ruffle any feathers and all. I'm in the upper midwest by the way. Thanks for your time everyone and I appreciate the help!

WDH

From the bark, I would say black walnut.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TKehl

A more specific location would be helpful.  Don't need an address, but a city or state and general area therein...

This is rare, but I'm going to disagree with Danny.  The bark doesn't look quite right for Black Walnut to me.  The end cuts don't show BW color.  Also are the leaves sprouting from the log or did he lay the wood on top of a Willow tree?

I lean toward Willow of some sort.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

SwampDonkey

Leaning toward butternut or walnut. Wood looks lighter color than walnut, but could be the light to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DPatton

If those suckers are coming off that log I'm totally calling willow on this one! I recently got rid of two growing suckers just like it out of my mill yard. When I say got rid of, I mean I turned them into 4 x 4's for dunnage under my lumber stacks.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DPatton

Solar_HoneyBee0,

Here are a couple questions that will help us narrow down an answer.

1, Did that log have suckers sprouting off of it or is all of those greens just weeds growing around it? (When I zoom in on either photo it appears that there is a sucker growing out of the bark on the right hand side of that log. It also appears there maybe a second one growing off the left side a bit further up the log, but the pic quality when zoomed in makes it hard to be certain).

2, What type of log does your brother-in-law believe it is?
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

WV Sawmiller

My first thought was walnut too. Sure looks like our bark around here.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Here is a picture of a Black Willow log that I sawed.

And the lumber was amazingly pretty.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

I've never disagreed with Danny, and I thought of Black Walnut as well.  Any takers for Black Locust?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WDH

I am still hanging hard on walnut,. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ToddsPoint

I see no difference on the end cut.  Should be a sap wood, heart wood color difference if it was walnut.  I think it's an elm.  Gary 
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

LAZERDAN

Quote from: DPatton on June 30, 2018, 09:18:56 PM
If those suckers are coming off that log I'm totally calling willow on this one! I recently got rid of two growing suckers just like it out of my mill yard. When I say got rid of, I mean I turned them into 4 x 4's for dunnage under my lumber stacks.
There is no doubt Dpatton is right on the money here.            Lazerdan

bluthum

The picture does not convince me those are suckers rather than an annual plant but the detail isn't there. Willow [Salix]  leaves are pretty distinctive up close even though there are a lot of species. OP should say whether they are suckers or not which would settle if the log is willow.

The log looks pretty weathered but I think a pic of it freshly cut on the end would be very enlightening, even a not so great shot. A fairly good pic of a slice would probably settle it.

The whole thing about bark i.d.'s is a guess, usually. There are many factors that will make bark appearance vary even in a species. Actually from the pics and info given the best any body can do here is a good guess but I suppose it's entertaining.

Magicman

The OP stated in another topic that it indeed was Willow but has not revisited this topic to make an update.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bluthum

Well ok then. Glad some body is payin attention. Thanks!

WDH

I have seen no data.  In God we trust, all others bring data.  I am not convinced :)

Magicman

Quote from: Solar_HoneyBee0 on July 12, 2018, 01:52:39 AMAs for my last post, I just wanted to mention that everyone that said Willow was correct. Long story short the guy he bought it from said it was ash and ripped him off. Hopefully he can figure out something to do with it.

SwampDonkey

Willow doesn't get big up my way, so the bark doesn't get too rough unless it's a weeping willow. But the end didn't look that dark.

As a side note: Once in awhile a big old butternut gets cut because they lose big limbs in wind and sometimes the whole tree needs taken down. We still have a number of big butternut up this way and quite a few saplings are growing on woodland in my area, not including ones I planted. I just found 3 new ones in the back yard the squirrels planted. One I am leaving where it sprout, two I am moving. :)

TKehl

I, for one, am just content to have closure.   :D  ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Bogue Chitto

Diamond pattern in the bark  of an ash.

Magicman

True but the ridges on Ash bark almost always connect back together.  :P   

Solar_HoneyBee0

Hey everyone. I apologize for not responding here in the forum. It honestly never occurred to me to do so since I was asking for opinions, but the reality is i'm in the wrong here and I can admit it. The only way for a forum to be successful is when you have a dialogue that goes both ways. In the future with my posts I will take more of an effort to respond to messages.

On to the post. Everyone had great ideas. I WISH it was black walnut as I would have snagged it up from him in a heart beat. Some people asked my location. I'm located in Wisconsin. The people that voted for Willow have my vote too. From everything I know about the location that he bought the wood from its heavy in Willow, Ash, Cottonwood, and Box Elder. I've been lucky enough to cut some large Ash trees in my life and I just can't agree that this would be Ash. The small trees coming out of the wood resemble Willow saplings to me personally.

I could be wrong in all of this and maybe he did get super large ash, but my gut just says no. Anyways, as far as what he is going to do with the wood it still up for debate. I don't think its work milling, but then again I have never dealt with Willow before. He has spoken with a different neighbor that seems to be interested for an outdoor cook stove. At least he will get some of his money back. I guess just let it be a lesson, which lesson is anybody's guess.

WDH

Willow is diffuse porous.  Ash is ring porous.  Not remotely similar. 

Thank You Sponsors!