iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy d

MM I think you should change your handle to Iron Man I am 70 and not in to bad of shape but I don't think I could handle your schedule and be away from home for a week at a time I am sure it would do me in . I salute you Sir. Randy

Magicman

Cutterboy: Nothing but sand, and some of the logs are totally covered.  Even with the Debarker, we wire brush every cut that passes through the bark, front and backside.  We have probably gone through a dozen wire brushes.  Matter of fact, after this "sand job" is over I'll take a picture of all of the brushes.  ;D  I am using only one or two blades per day but they are being saved by the brushes.

The 4th picture in Reply #290 shows total sand and dump truck loads in the background ready to be spread and compacted.

randy d:  Thank You but this job will not go on forever because the customer should run out of logs within two more weeks.  We will have sawn the timbers for ~20 units by then but he is building 70!!  He is thinking about trying to buy log truck loads of logs but I have no idea where we would set up.  The family has timbered property about 100 miles closer to home, but someone would have to do the logging.  They would easily realize a value increase of 2X or more by utilizing their own trees.

Time will tell but until it runs out, dis old geezer  wheeliechair  is gonna saw.   8)   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Magicman - what do you want to bet they will log their own land, haul the logs to the sand pit, roll them around, and then have you saw them?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Southside, you were doing very well with your bet until the first comma.   :-X

Yes, the economics are there to log their property and I am hoping that will be their decision.  There is no suitable lodging but there is a State Park Campground within ~20 miles and I have an RV 5th wheel.  He will have to find a resolution fairly quickly because the framers are steadily raising buildings and he will need timbers.

This picture was made Wednesday.  When I left Friday evening the three buildings on the left were all framed up two story and one had rafters.  There will be a lake between the Condos and where I am standing.

My sawmill is presently set up in the very top left corner and I am looking diagonally across what will become the lake.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gshd1

Picked up some hemlock and pine. I haven't  milled anything since last fall. Kind of anxious to get busy making some lumber.

Crossroads

Lynn, did you consider trying the carbide blades for this job? I know after Mt. St. Hellen's erupted, they used carbide chains on the saws attempting to salvage some of the timber that was blown over and covered in ash. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

Yup, I saw the results of that St. Helen's mess several years ago.  There is no way to describe the amount of damage that was done. 

No, I am satisfied with what we are doing and many days I am only using one blade.  My tailgunner and I have a pretty good brushing system worked out to eliminate most lost time.  That plus the new blade on the Debarker is doing a good job.

I made the drive this afternoon and after a meal of Eggs, Grits, and Toast for Supper, I am ready for tomorrow.  ;D

Lawg Dawg

Some SYP 1X10X12' ...Orders never quit coming here...these are some nice and clear ones I cut off my own property for a HIGH $$ Client  ;D. Keeps them coming back for more!

Yes the stickers are spread out but they going to put them up this week for board and batton on a hunting lodge...this is the first 1000 ft..only 5000 more to go!  8)
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Magicman

In today's market that is a smart way to add value to your logs.  That SYP rocks.

Don P

Lawg Dawg, you're in a honey hole 8)

DPatton

That is some amazing SYP Lawg Dawg.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Southside

Dawg - send me some of that - please!!!  Would you take a steer in trade?  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

DWyatt

Had my first real life paying job for myself and the mill this weekend! 8) Had a fantastic day sawing Highly Valuable Knotty Junk Walnut, Pin Oak, Poplar and a couple small hickory sticks.  Ended the day with about 790 bd ft! I've only ever cut with 4 degree bands from Woodmizer, I bought 2 turbo 7s for this job and all I have to say is WOW! Ran the 4 degree band first, got about 300 bd ft out of it then switched to the turbo 7 and finished out the job. Those things are FAST and put out some dead flat lumber! :o Averaged out to about 150 bd ft / hr including set up and take down on a beautiful day!

And just Magicman, I sawed um and leaved um! 8)

Dana Stanley

MM why not power wash? Wire brush seems like a lot of elbow grease and time. I sawed the pine I have and the bark fell off easy, now I'm into the oak, and the place is a muddy mess, so I tried washing with the hose, as this bark is stuck on good! That works great, or seems to so far anyway.
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Magicman

Dana, that would be a simple answer if I was at home, had a pressure washer, and was within less than ¼ mile of a water source.   :D

E-Tex

DWyatt  --  Congrats on your first paying saw job.  it's a great feeling when you've produced a nice whack of boards and have a check in hand! 
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

E-Tex

MM - someone left a nice "level" on top of that new condo sign!!!!!
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Dana Stanley

Quote from: Magicman on April 15, 2019, 08:11:49 AM
Dana, that would be a simple answer if I was at home, had a pressure washer, and was within less than ¼ mile of a water source.   :D
Tell them to get going on that pond!! ;D I wasn't sure if I was missing something. I thought the availability of water under pressure could have been the issue. 
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Magicman

Yup Lance, I took the picture while the sign was being built.  All of the trim is now painted black and the level is gone.  Actually it has been moved from the original location.

Yup Dana, this situation is what it is and I decided to accept it as it was last year when I took the job.  I had to develop a different technique for bucking them to length to stop killing saw chains.

I have talked about having to share the loader with the builders.  Well that came to an end today.  Ain't sharing it anymore because they now have it full time  :-X  I ended up with a skidsteer with a bucket, not even forks.  Well this ain't this old man's first rodeo.

Two "Magic Hooks" and chain and we can handle logs just fine...thank you.  ::)

12X12's too.  It's slower and much more work but we are getting it done.  ;D

They will start dropping more trees tomorrow. 

doc henderson

better than nothing!?  is it roe day oooo or ro dee ooo?   :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

stihltoomany

Some mighty lumber there. I am drooling.
Quote from: Lawg Dawg on April 14, 2019, 08:38:09 PM
Some SYP 1X10X12' ...Orders never quit coming here...these are some nice and clear ones I cut off my own property for a HIGH $$ Client  ;D. Keeps them coming back for more!

Yes the stickers are spread out but they going to put them up this week for board and batton on a hunting lodge...this is the first 1000 ft..only 5000 more to go!  8)
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

Magicman

Doc, more like EIEIO !!  8)

Southside

Boy they take your loader AND they make you saw sweet gum.  It's a good thing they pay well!!   :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!