iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

craigslist

Started by xlogger, June 10, 2019, 07:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I answer an ad on craigslist with an email for more info and got one back saying it when to spam and would I send my email address. Figuring this is some kind of spam what do they gain by getting email info by this?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

TKehl

They can sell your email to send more spam.  The craigslist email system does some filtering (I think) as well as being somewhat temporary.

The more info they get, the better spam can be targeted, and the more they get paid for the data.  Name, email, and address start adding up.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

RPF2509

Criagslist is full of scammers so tread lightly there.  If they want your email address don't reply.  That said good deals can be found.  Go as it was intended - local and face to face.  Buying or selling meet in a neutral, public location.  I've had good luck but also lots of phishing attempts. 

Woodpecker52

Most of my major sales of lumber were from my ads on craigslist great way for sales.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

muggs

I have been scammed this way. I got lots of  ads , took a long time to get rid of them. How it works is. you put something on Craigslist for sale. Someone answers and asks if the item is available. You answer back, now they have your email, which they sell. I don't get it, it can only be worth pennies. If you put an ad in Craigslist. Tell them to include a phone number.  

Ljohnsaw

I see tons of ads that say no phone number, no reply!  I usually include my phone number and I generally get the item (free stuff) because of that.

I also see a ton of ads that have a picture (usually a nice tractor) with a @gmail address added to the picture so the filtering software doesn't catch it??  Anyhow, I flag those as prohibited, especially since the price it way too good to be true!  The background in the picture usually doesn't match the local geography, either.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

muggs

Quote from: ljohnsaw on June 10, 2019, 07:32:43 PM
I see tons of ads that say no phone number, no reply!  I usually include my phone number and I generally get the item (free stuff) because of that.

I also see a ton of ads that have a picture (usually a nice tractor) with a @gmail address added to the picture so the filtering software doesn't catch it??  Anyhow, I flag those as prohibited, especially since the price it way too good to be true!  The background in the picture usually doesn't match the local geography, either.

Thank You Sponsors!