iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planning an ELK hunt

Started by maple flats, January 02, 2006, 09:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

Me and my son and our Chiropractor are planning an elk hunt for 06( or 07 since my youngest daughter gets married Oct 13, 2006, yes Friday too, and my wife and my 39 th anniversary also was a Friday). Can anyone reccommend good guides, bad guide warnings, good locations. None of us have ever hunted elk so most any would be a trophy to us. Help on where to or not to go etc. Thanks in advance.
Maple Flats
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

bugboy

THE place for elk is Colorado, in terms of numbers.  one third of the worlds elk population lives there.  I am not sure of good guides.  You should check out NA Hunting Club as they probably have information you want.

For MONSTER elk horns, try New Mexico.  Roosevelt elk are also a good critter to hunt, they are the pacific variety and the largest bodied elk out there.  i think they reside in coastal NW US and Canada.

I've read that SE Idaho produces quality elk and mule deer as well.

maple flats

I am a life member of the NAHC, went to web site and very few choices. I remember a pamphlet a few years ago with many guides, I didn't find it on line. Will try again.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Bro. Noble

My Brother,  sometimes accompanied by my Dad,  hunt near Craig Colorado.  The same guide service/resort,  has led to their succesful hunts for elk,  mule deer,  and antelope.  I'll see if I can get the name for you.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

moosehunter

Maple flats,
You need to call or write NAHC and they will send you a hand book of all the guide co.s. Then you pick out up to five and send them in and get more detailed info back.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Bro. Noble

Elkhorn Outfitters,  Craig, Colorado :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tillaway

DIY... do it yourself.  If you can hunt whitetails you can hunt Rosies.  The hunter success around my county was unbelievable.  Better than 50% (its usually 10% state wide) and the folks that knew what they were doing were tagging out parties of 6 in four days with lots of nice branch bulls.  They killed so many around here and a little further north that I fear for next years hunt.  Yep, that many killed.  I have about 300 head within 2 miles of my house still.  They graze out near the dairy cows, not uncommon to see Holstiens on one end of the pasture and elk on the other.  The elk even use the cow tunnels to cross the highways.

I do not hunt them anymore... too much like work.  Those critters are like shooting a horse and then you have to cutt it up and pack it out.  A big Rosie will out weigh a big Rockie Mountain Elk by about 200 lbs.  It took four of us to just roll over the last bull I shot.. no kinding it fell into a little depression.  He was on the rather large side, just off the record book at the time.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

bugboy

Yeah, those Roosevelts are the biggest bodied elk!!! 

I guess it takes a horse to move a 'horse'.... ;)

Ron Scott

Son Todd with his bow kill. A 6x7 elk taken near Bozeman, Montana, 10/07.

~Ron

Norm

Nice elk, and to take one with a bow is very tough.  :)

Did he bugle him in Ron?

iffy

I have been doing it myself in Colorado for the last 17 years or so. My success rate is above 60%. It takes a few trips to the same unit to learn how the critters act in that unit. Have hunted all over the state, from walk-ins to horse hunts and pickup hunts. Before they shut nonresidents out of the draw for ranching for wildlife, we were able to get one excellent hunt at Blue Gravel, which is managed by Elkhorn outfitters north of Craig. Dick Dodds is the nicest guy you could ask for in a guide, and his hunts are 100% private land. I understand he's not cheap, but you will see enormous herds of elk. You will seldom see a monster, but there are plenty of decent 5 x 5's to go around. Here's last years hunt. If you want to know more about do it yourself, pm me.

Ron Scott

Norm,
Yes, he hunted him hard most of the day, did some bugling and got above him on the hillside. The elk finally came within range at 20 yards and he made a good lung shot.

~Ron

semologger

never seen them out in the wild. i would love to go with ya. never traveled much anywhere yet. one of these days i will go, love to hunt. be kind of hard to get my dad to go on walkabouts like you have to do on those hunts he only smokes 4 packs a day. nice pitchures

Thank You Sponsors!