iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Oscar owner

Started by badpenny, April 15, 2005, 04:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badpenny

Hi all, badpenny here with a new Oscar 18" mill. What a step up from using a bar guide on my chainsaw! I know it's an entry level mill, but I'm an "entry level experienced" person right now. First project will probably be a mill shed, then on to bigger and better, ending up with a cabin to live in and move out of my 30 year old mobile home. All in due time, of course.
   Some background info, retired from US Navy '92, spent 10 years ORT for flatbed companies, currently work part time hauling logs for a local logger and farming on a small scale on my small farm(hay,oats,corn). That supports goats,chickens,pigs,2 beef calves a year.
   Farming logging truck driving- 3 ways to make a million- if you start with 5 million and stop when you have 1 left
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

Part_Timer

congrats on the new mill.

I bet your chainsaw will thank you ;D

best of luck 
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Tom

Way to go on the Hudson.  We're looking forward to some pictures.  :)

badpenny

Tom, pics will have to get from my 35mm to walmart to my puter somehow, and then have to figure out how to post them here.

Tom

That's do-able. :D

You can get the pictures put on a floppy or CD at WallyWorld, probably.  or, maybe you have a scanner. ;D

We'll wait. :D

Jeff

Anudder new mill owner. SIGH....  Some day mehbe...

Congrats there B.P. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

congrats, i bought the 28" model a few months ago, my chainsaw (and my back) thanks me.  Flipping big cants isn't much fun though!

this stuff can certainly be lots of fun!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Rancher

Even after a year my Oscar 36 still feels new enough to learn and learn and learn some more.
If you're honest you don't have to trust your memory.

bhub

I bought an oscar 30 last fall. I had them put a 16 hp vanguard  to rplace the 10 hp. I made up a base of 6x6
pressure treated, like a ladder and screwed their track on. . Have been cutting 28" and 30" walnut and cherry.
I am new and have lots to learn but I really like the Oscar. My buddy has a LT15 Its much nicer. Got the rope drive and the the nice track and a 15hp honda. I used his befor I bought mine.  Had him over to cut some boards and boy was he impressed.  The only drawback is the clamping system otherwise I can cut 30" slabs and he can cut 23 inch.  I am very pleased so far and saved a grand over the lt15.

don't sell the hudson stuff short

Fla._Deadheader

Welcome to the forum there, bhub.  8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Frank_Pender

Bhub, i didn't I just bought an Oscar 36" a month or two ago, myself.  I purchased one from some folks that come to the Oregon Logging Conference each year.  I have been supplying them with logs the last couple of years.  I purchased mine to cut specialty short logs as well as small log crotch material along with the burl that I sell. 

I also thought that since Currlywoods is coming this way in May or June I could better sell him lots of Maple burl all slabbed up to his specs.   That way there could be more value added when I write the reciept. 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Ernie

Congrats BadPenny and Bhub.  Welcome to the world of sawdust everywhere and smiles a mile wide 8) 8) 8)

Ernie

PS: Pic are great to get posted
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

arj

Good luck I`ve had my Oscar 36 4 years and it`s treated me very well
                            arj

Russ

Welcome, your going to enjoy the forestry forum.

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum.You will enjoy it here.I have a manual bandsaw mill too.Bought it from a local guy here in Maine.Used it yesterday for the first time this year.Been buried in snow. Oh what a feeling to hear that run.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bhub

thanks for all da hospitalllllity
seems like burly group here. good to know there is some help jusy a key shout away
There is so much building going on here in the N east I get my logs from the builders.
If I move I can have em, but usually only have a day to get them. I ve collected 22 cherry logs and 20 walnut logs this winter. 16 inches to 38 inches dia. I only cut walnut and cherry. I slab everything over 20 inches.
One thing for sure this is lots of work. I work with a van , a trailer and a cant hook. Hopefully i can make enough dollars to make things eaiser.  I have a woodshop and make furniture and am keeping all the nice slabs for book matched table tops.
butchmuller.com

badpenny

Got my mill set up and leveled Fri evening, sawed the first log, 17" black ash on Sat am 8). 6 2x4x8,3 1x6x8, 5 1x10x8 and a small pile of 1/2x3/4 edgings to use as stickers for air drying ;D. Spent about 2 hrs, going slow as to not mess up to bad. Pics in a few days as all I have is a 35mm, and nearest Walmart is 49 miles one way, so gas prices dictate a combined trip for that far away. This mill is the best thing since pockets on shirts as far as I am concerned. Thanks to all, this bb is the greatest for info and encouragement

Thehardway

I am planning on buying an Oscar 18 this weekend.  Glad to here of all the happy Hudson owners.  8)
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

badpenny

Here is a try at a pic, hope it works

badpenny

All my pics are stored as jpg, guess I have to learn a different way to save them to be able to post here, just another learning curve.

Tom

If they ar on your computer as JPG then you are almost home.  You have to start an "'Album" on the forestry Forum Gallery.   Then "Browse" and load your picture to that.  When you do that, you will be given a Link that will allow the picture to show up in the post.  Lots of info in the "Behind the Forum".  :)

Larry

Welcome badpenny and butch.  Ease back and take your time...were pretty friendly group here.

I took a peek at your website butch...pretty impressive woodworking ya got there.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Riles

For you 35mm folks, you might try something like Snapfish (www.snapfish.com). You mail them the film, they develop it and load your digital version on a website. Used to be free, but started charging a little after the dot com bust. Relatively quick and cheap. There's a couple other services out there as well.

By the way, it's not just a digital service, they mail the prints to you.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

badpenny

pigman

Good looking mill. Good job on the picture . 8) I new you could do it. Only took me two years to post my first picture. ::) 
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!