iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stiff leather

Started by Engineer, January 06, 2006, 11:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Got a small problem with a leather machete sheath.    I have an old US Navy machete with a 24" blade.  I was able to find a leather sheath for it, but the danG thing is stiff as a board and twisted so that only about 5" of the machete goes in it before it gets stuck.  I'd like to use it but don't know how to soften the leather so that I can put the machete in it.  I remember oiling up a baseball glove and then putting a ball in it and rubberbanding it to get the right shape, but I can't oil the inside of the sheath.

One thing I thought was submersing the sheath in boiling water and putting the machete inside, making sure it's well oiled, and then flattening it under some weight and letting it dry.  I don't think that would be too good for either the leather or the machete.

Alternately, maybe someone can tell me where to find a Cordura sheath for a 24" blade.

Jeff

I had an old ball glove that was so stiff you would think it would break.  I first used saddle soap making sure the leather was wet clear through, and then hot neatsfoot oil. I tryed to get the neats inside as well as I could.  It took a few days to dry out but I think as the moisture evaporated out of the glove, it puttled the oil into the leather.  It softened the glove up nicely.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I just did a search and it says that saddle soap is not reccomended for leather anymore. Oh well.

Murf

Saddle soap is to clean the leather, it doesn't help with moisturizig any, in fact it dries it out some.

You want a purely moisturizer, any harness or saddlery shop will have a bunch of different stuff. Even palin old Mineral oil will work just fine, cheap too.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Jeff

From what I read when I was searching was just the opposite that saddle soap is NOT a cleaner.

http://www.properautocare.com/leatmytofsad.html

Onthesauk

I'm not sure about something that stiff but I have used Mink Oil for years on leather to soften it up.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

johncinquo

In the Immortal words of Snoopy : " Who are these neet, and why do they keep getting their feet cut off?"

:D :D

Soak in down in Neetsfoot oil, give it a couple days, and you'll be able to do anything you want with it. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Steve

I've always wondered the same thing about the poor moles they use to make Molasses?

:D
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Murf

Quote from: Jeff B on January 06, 2006, 12:48:17 PM
From what I read when I was searching was just the opposite that saddle soap is NOT a cleaner.

http://www.properautocare.com/leatmytofsad.html

I guess it depends on whose ad you read I guess, the blurb on the leather conditioner I have says not to use saddle soap for anything but cleaning, then moisturize the leather with their goop.  :D

Paschale

Quote from: Steve on January 06, 2006, 02:15:24 PM
I've always wondered the same thing about the poor moles they use to make Molasses?

:D :D :D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

getoverit

We use mineral oil and neets foot oil on our saddles. If you soak it in oil until it gets mushy and soft, then insert your machettie and leave it out in warm dry air, the oil should evaporate in time and leave you with a soft pliable leather sheath.

If it were me, I think I would pour mineral oil inside the sheath to start, then try to work some oil into the leather from the outside. Once it is pliable enough to get your blade in, then wipe off as much of the excess oil as possible and let the rest evaporate.

Good luck!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Murf

Never mind, who d'ya thought up the term "toe jam" an jus' wat were dey thinkin' when they did.  ::)

getoverit

Quote from: Steve on January 06, 2006, 02:15:24 PM

I've wondered about all them Nauga's and where they are grown... They must be massive beasts....it's a shame to just kill them for their naugahides.

:D :D :D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Minnesota_boy

What about the Steele Toad?  I heard that they were put on the endangered species list because they had been hunted to near extinction, just so the working man could wear Steele Toad boots.  Must be quite the status symbol.  :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Coot

u could allways use water , did that with my boots

DanG

Forget the oils.  Use water.  Just soak the scabbard until it is saturated, then form it the way you want it and let it dry.  The water doesn't have to be hot.

Now I have a question.  What the heck did the Navy need a machete for?  Whacking seaweed? ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

Maybe the felt they needed them to protect themselves from Jarheads. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ironwood

Neet's Foot will work, but can promote too much expansion. I used to be the Equipment  Mgr. in a Outdoor program. I would cut a wood form copied after the knife and then use water and slide in your form. It will dry stiff, hard and will accomodate your machete.

I love a good Machete, got a really nice one from an Aussie Royal Reg. guy back in Hawaii, it was old US issue (the GOOD stuff) but had been issued to the Aussies perhaps they had a good stash from our govt. I used it extensively boar hunting on OAHU. Still hangs in the shop and even gets used on occasion.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Engineer

Reid, thanks.  That will work.  Didn't even think of that, but I can trace the machete outline onto some thin wood or maybe a piece of rigid plastic and use that.   I don't really want a soft sheath, it will be too prone to being cut by the machete.  I tend to keep the blade like a razor.

Don't know what the navy used it for, but I use it for blazing lines and cutting brush while doing survey work and around the property.

Coon

I would simply just use shaving cream.  Just rub it on and form.  You just simply rinse off afterwards and dry it out.  You wouldn't even know it was the same sheath.
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!