iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Sayings…...

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 13, 2013, 10:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I was in the store this morning to get a Sausage Biscuit. While paying for my breakfast, this guy was in front of me trying to pay for some Kerosine to put in his heater.
He had pumped 10 dollars worth and had only 9, 1 dollar bills.
I gave him the other dollar to pay his bill.

He looked at me and said, "I certainly appreciate it.....this $9.00 is the 'Last button on Joe's coat'".
It took a minute to sink in....but I had never heard that.
"The last button on Joe's coat".......hum..... :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Papa1stuff

It is really sad to see someone like that ,probably choose to stay warm rather that eat :( :(
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Sixacresand

I never heard that before, either.  Glad you had a dollar.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WDH

Glad that you had a dollar, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

I also am glad you had a spare dollar to help him out, but have to wonder why he ''pumped'' ten dollards worth if he only had nine to pay with  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

NWP

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

drobertson

I'm guessing the other dollar was in the washer, maybe with the other button and some change,     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Leigh Family Farm

The first refernce I can find is for the saying "the last button on Gabe's Coat". Its a way of saying that they are the youngest member of the family. The saying comes from the Archangel Gabriel removing a button from his coat for each family member and the youngest was the last button.

Another refernce I found was from the Civil War era or earlier, and this one makes sense for where you are from Poston. This showed that when people played cards and they ran out of money, they would use the brass buttons from their coats to bet. Back then, brass buttons were not easy to get in certain areas of the country so people accepted them as bets. You knew the card game was nearing an end when someone, presumably a "Joe", was using the last button on his coat to bet...hence, "the last button on Joe's coat."

I'll take Random Knowlesge for a thousand, Alec!  ;)
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: kilgrosh on November 14, 2013, 10:27:10 AM

I'll take Random Knowlesge for a thousand, Alec!  ;)

"DAILY DOUBLE"

Now I know.....Thanks "Gift Horse".  :)

submarinesailor

Most of you guys and gals remember the old saying;  "Age Before Beauty".  The next time that happens, stop, look them in the eye and say;  "Just remember that beauty was a horse".  That statement has bought more then one young smart to a stop.

Bruce

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: submarinesailor on November 14, 2013, 04:07:29 PM
Most of you guys and gals remember the old saying;  "Age Before Beauty".  The next time that happens, stop, look them in the eye and say;  "Just remember that beauty was a horse".  That statement has bought more then one young smart to a stop.

Bruce

Good reply Bruce......how about a few more of those submarine sayings. I'll bet there are a few you can't tell. :D

Sonofman

I was in the office yesterday and one guy was asking for help about something on a job he was working on from another guy. The second guy told him what he needed to do, to which the first guy replied, "Well, you learn something new every day, but I'll forget it by tomorrow."
Located due west of Due West.

samandothers

Live and learn, die and forget it all.

coxy

Quote from: samandothers on November 14, 2013, 08:11:20 PM
Live and learn, die and forget it all.
how do you know you for get it all  ;)

submarinesailor

Poston you asked for it:  Just remember, once I was addicted to the hokey pokey.  But I turned myself around.

::) ::) ::) ;D :D :o :( >:( ;D :D ;) :)

Just call me Poston JR. ;D ;D ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: submarinesailor on November 15, 2013, 08:34:33 AM
Poston you asked for it:  Just remember, once I was addicted to the hokey pokey.  But I turned myself around.

::) ::) ::) ;D :D :o :( >:( ;D :D ;) :)

Just call me Poston JR. ;D ;D ;D

........that's what it's all about.  :)

woodmills1

when the writer of the hokey pokey died the undertaker did this

first he put right leg in (the casket) then he......you know thw rest
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG James....you know the song too.  :D

JohnM

Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

samandothers

Coxy
You have a great point.  Maybe you don't!  Just a sayin.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My Dad told me once...."Never own ANYTHING you aren't willing to drill a hole in".  :D

weimedog

"If your a Hammer, everything looks like a nail"
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Peter Drouin

Liars can figure but figures don't lie. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

goose63

My dad would say don't force it get a bigger hammer  smiley_smash
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Thank You Sponsors!