iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did you ever find just what you needed? - at the bottom of a lake?

Started by Ocklawahaboy, December 22, 2014, 08:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocklawahaboy

No, I'm not talking about deadheads ;)
Was out fishing for Black Crappie/Specks and saw a few feet of plastic rope floating on the surface.  Went over to grab it out of the water and found a 25lb weight attached. 

It worked just right to put in the bow of the boat and balance my weight.  Got an extra 2.2mph out of the little 9.5hp. 

This afternoon, I was milling some of my cypress and the 3"x6" cant that was left wanted to bow up on one end.  Didn't want to flip it and try to stand on it while clamping with the manual mill so.... lake-bottom weight to the rescue.  Now, I just need to find another one down there so I can have one at the mill and one in the boat ;)

kevin19343

That looks like the necklace Jimmy Hoffa was wearing the night he disappeared.

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: kevin19343 on December 22, 2014, 08:52:03 PM
That looks like the necklace Jimmy Hoffa was wearing the night he disappeared.
Since there way nothing on the other end of the rope, maybe he escaped and is hanging out with Elvis and JFK.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 22, 2014, 09:18:42 PM
Why do you leave the door open on the mill when cutting?

For a gauge......you don't do that?  :D
It slides the weight along the board.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

backwoods sawyer

Good to see a safe way of holding the end down ;)

You may want to stop at 2 weights, someone may be watching those waters :D

By the way having a top door is no fair, when they bulit my mill they just left 3/8 opening, what a sawdust catcher :-\
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Ocklawahaboy

because I have a memory like a rusty steel trap.  as soon as l looked at the pic, I knew someone would comment on it.

LeeB

Free weights can be had quite cheaply. People buy them and never use them. Many can be had for free by watching craigs list and other such venues. Kind of like treadmills.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on December 23, 2014, 12:47:36 AM
because I have a memory like a rusty steel trap.  as soon as l looked at the pic, I knew someone would comment on it.

smiley_thumbsup :D :D :D :D :christmas:
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

loggah

Those things get thrown out in the junkyard by the hundreds !!! i think people buy them ,get bored working out ,then heave them. Up here if we found a rope floating in a pond we would know it would be a good place to tie up to for horned pouting !!!!! ;D you probably got some P.O.ed fisherman bad mouthing ya !!!!! ;D ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

bandmiller2

I wouldn't use that weight on fresh oak though. Those weights are hand I've machined them to use for mill carriage wheels and tractor weights. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Hale87

2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!