iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Boiler thermostatic valve pipe size question?

Started by LegendsCreekFarm, July 02, 2016, 09:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LegendsCreekFarm

The thermostatic valve that came with my central boiler I believe is 3/4.   My thermopex is 1", so I will be connecting the thermopex to the thermostatic valve by reducing down do 3/4,  however, when I come out the other size of the valve and plumb over to the heat exchanger should I bring the pipe size back up to 1" as I am using a 1" size heat exchanger?

I don't know why they sent a 3/4 thermostatic valve when the standard is 1" pex and above.  Not sure how to plumb this up.

r.man

I would check with the supplier to make sure they meant to send the 3/4 and if they did ask them how it would normally be plumbed, no sense re inventing the wheel.  Other than that I would do it the easiest way, with the restriction already there I don't think it will make much difference.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

LegendsCreekFarm

I plan to contact the supplier, however, I looked online and I can only see these valves available in 3/4, so I am wondering what everyone else did with theirs to get to 1" after the valve.

Gearbox

look at the opening of a 3/4 valve and a 1 inch pex fitting I think they are the same opening size .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

coxy

don't know never looked to close but some say 1in pex is the same size as 3/4 standard pipe  :-\

Roger2561

I have a CB E-Classic 1400 and I have the 1" thermopex pipe.  If you measure the ID of it, it is very close to 3/4" not 1", thus the reason for the 3/4" thermostatic valve.  Roger 
Roger

LegendsCreekFarm

Well that makes a lot more sense. I am going to be using black pipe for everything from the thermostatic valve, to the line that runs to the boiler so I will need 1" black pipe fittings, but will need 3/4" x 1" couplings to get me there.  Thanks for the help! I am sure I will have 500 other questions as I get through this install over the next week.

Gearbox

I used brass in mine . The factory said use no steel with a stainless boiler . Pex brass fittings are cheap . you are putting 10,000 dollars into a boiler why go cheap on a $ 100 worth of fittings . I also used the stainless pinch clamps . The copper clamp rings will leak if side loaded .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

LegendsCreekFarm

Can you explain why they say that?   I wasn't told the same info about using steel pipe with this boiler?   

My neighbor used black pipe and his boiler is at least 10 years old.  Just want to make sure I do it right.

Holmes

The non pressure boiler is open to the air , the water in the boiler absorbs oxygen, the oxygen makes the steel piping rust.   I would use 1" pex. two,  3/4" pipes are mixing water to the outlet so for flow reasons it may help to have the 1" pex.
Think like a farmer.

LegendsCreekFarm

Doesn't the corrosion inhibitor prevent this?   My dealer said everyone uses it?  Maybe I am wrong.

Gearbox

If you stay on the test kit yes . I have seen pipes over half clogged with rust .

Holmes

I agree with gearbox.  I was not thinking about  corrosion inhibitor.  ::)
Think like a farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!