iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storing Kiln dried lumber?

Started by woodhick, September 12, 2008, 03:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhick

Well I'm finnaly getting my kiln up and running.  I have an older Nyle L200.  I do a lot of woodworking myself in the winter when time allows.  I also sell quite a bit to other craftsmen in my area.   Just wandering what(or how)  others are storing lumber after you have dried it?   I know it will regain moisture if the humidity is not controlled.  Any ideas?
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

kelLOGg

There was a thread on this earlier in the FF. But it's always a timely topic so maybe some new info will be posted.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7855.msg106742.html#msg106742
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

woodhick

Thanks for the link to the old post.  I would like to see what some others are using to store there kiln dried lumber in.  Don's post got me to thinking?

dry kilns, heat pumps

Re: storage of kiln dried lumber
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 04:04:01 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you keep the space about 20 degrees (F) above the morning low temp, it wall stay at 6%. A heater is a better way to go than a dh unit unless you need to work steadily in the same area where the wood is stored. If it is in a pole barn and on the south side and the wall painted a dark color, it will stay dry for indefinitely

If I build a shed say  20' wide, 10' tall, and 12' deep, and divide it up into "cubicles" that are about  3' wide and 4' tall accesible from the front.  enclose the other three sides with the back facing South and painted black with a black roof.  Install a couple of sliding doors on the front.  For cabinet lumber I'm not concerned with storing anything over 10' long.   Would this work to keep lumber moisture content down without any heat or dehumidifaction?  I was planning on building being uninsulated, and placing different species or grades into each cubicle. 
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Thank You Sponsors!