iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air filters

Started by burroak, May 07, 2004, 06:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burroak

Brand newbie here...have a couple of old homelites and a Husqvarna 272xp, mostly cut a lot of firewood...husky is favorite saw.

Here's a question? My Husky has a large air filter, looks a lot like a filter for a car...pleated, made of orange-tan fuzzy something or other...and they don't stay clean very long. You can blow them out, but they get dirty faster the next few times around, until you get around to the saw shop for another $20 filter. Ugh!

I was talking with a guy a few days ago, and this guy said that I have been getting the wrong kind of filter...He likes Sthil chain saws, but said I should look for one with a fine mesh made of nylon, brass, or aluminum because they are easy to keep clean. So I called the saw dealer, who really didn't know what I was talking about. My friend also wondered if maybe the dealer was only keeping the "wrong" kind around  for reasons of his own..."wink!"

So, chainsaw folks, what's the deal? If there is another kind I should be asking for, what exactly should I ask for, maybe even a part number?

Sorry for long drawn=out post, and thanks.

Rocky_J

If the filter is getting dirty, then that means all that crap isn't going into your engine. Sounds like you might be looking a bit too hard for a solution to a non-problem.

Also, a sharp chain will produce mostly wood chips and very little dust. If you are finding tons of fine dust, it means you aren't keeping your chain sharp. Big wood chips do not clog air filters, fine dust plugs air filters. So the solution to your problem is to buy more $1 chain files and practice filing more often!  :)

Kevin

burroak, welcome to the forum.
Does your owners manual say anything about the filters available for the 272?

travelr64

Too bad K&N or someone else doesn't make washable air filters for chainsaws.  Or do they?

Coop
""Now look what you've gotten us into ! ! !

burroak

I think I can file OK, although I resort to a granberg file jig and a dial caliper once in a while to get my cutters back so every one is exactly the same. When I do that on a rainy day I try to do a bunch of chains so I don't have to do it again for a while.  I Try to keep rakers down to .025-.030 too.

Stihl 038 owner says he has used exactly 2 new air filters in 9 years because he can get 'em cleaned out easy.  I bet I have had 8 or 10 in  the same time. I don't have the owner's manual...I bought the saw used, and it probably could use a new ring by now  or maybe a whole new top end.

I've had it 8 years and burn about 15-20  gallons of gas through it in a year. It still runs strong, has about 125 lbs of compression, and you can tell when the filter needs cleaning because performance drops off quite a bit.

Maybe I should look at one of them new ones with the turbo action air cleaning to force some of the chips out of the air before it gets to the filter. Does that help in the real world, or is that just somebody blowing smoke?

Duane_Moore

??? maybe we could slip a nylon stocking over it and help out ???  huh?   Duh---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Kevin

Here's an owners manual for a 372... 372 manual
It doesn't mention alternative air filters.
It might be worth calling Madsens to see what they have available.

firtol88

Guess I'm just off but I generally replace air filters every year anyway.  :-/
There's men who drink Guinness, and there's men who drink what's left when we're done with it.

* Note to Democrats, yes please flee to Canada!

burroak

Thanks, kevin, for the PDF from husky. later tonight I will look around to see if that website has others...but I did find this:

A husqvarna chainsaw can be fitted with differentl types of air filter, according to conditions. See your dealer....

I guess my dealer needs a prod...

Kevin

That's why I mentioned Madsens, they have substitutes but I'm not certain what they have available.
My husqvarna saws have a nylon mesh filter that just requires cleaning and not replacing unless it gets damaged.

qatanlison

Burroak,

There are 4 different filters for your 272:
5034472-01 80micron, nylon, black.
            -04 44micron, nylon, yellow.
            -03 FELT
5035511-01 This is the higher, standing filter which you probably have. It's the most effective, and cleans easily with soap and water.

The 80micron black is standard in Sweden, for damp, snowy conditions.

Q

Thank You Sponsors!