iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The headsaw is mightier than the band

Started by bandmiller2, April 08, 2011, 08:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Had a 28" EWP butt log that gave me fits with the bandmill tried everything still dove and cupped,set it aside, and all was well with the rest of the cutting.Just for chuckles put it on the circular mill the old 48" Diston went through it like poop through the goose.Not really fair I guess 100hp diesel vs 18hp air cooled.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

sealark37

It's the reason I play with my OO Frick.  Sometimes you just can't beat raw horsepower and a couple of tons of steel.  The band does some amazing things and a great job to boot, but I love pull it all in and listen to the old girl howl.  30" oak log, twelve feet long:  about 6 minutes to box the heart.  Regards, Clark

bandmiller2

TY,first thing I did was to try different bands.The origional band was used later and cut fine and true.It was just one of "those" logs we run into occasionally. Frank C.

Jeff

Is that an eastern thing, calling a circle saw a head saw?   Here a head saw can be a band mill or a circle mill and refers to the main breakdown mill in the sawmill operation.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bandmiller2

Jeff,thats what I've heard it called but your probibly right in the modern breakdown mills.Most of the mills around here just have one saw unless you go north where they have real mills. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!