iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2015 firewood prices

Started by timberlinetree, September 06, 2015, 06:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

What's the selling price for a cord (128 cubic feet) in your area of seasoned firewood?
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

4x4American

Just checked CL fast, I saw prices from $180-$280
Boy, back in my day..

SwampDonkey

$270   hard maple, beech, yellow birch  not for swamp hardwoods (red maple, elm, black ash).
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ozarker

Firewood around here is sold by the face cord, or rick, and not a true measure, but it figures out to about $133.33 a full cord, picked up by the buyer. I know one man who will deliver a dump bed at $50.00 a rick (18" length), but requires a minimum of five ricks, which is a full bed. Wood is mostly white and red oak, with a smattering of other oaks, ash, walnut, and maple.

brendonv

I'm selling June split cord for $200. I never see firewood in this area go for more than $250, mostly $225 when people get desperate.

That's pushing a button and dumping, never wanna and never will stack.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Corley5

It's all over the board here.  I see it advertised for $55.00 to $90.00 per 16" face cord.  That's 165 to 270.00 dollars per 128 cubic foot cord.  Quite a range this season.  We'll see where it settles as people begin to realize that winter IS coming.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

4x4American

We've had a few 46°F mornings here, winter is round the corner.
Boy, back in my day..

ST Ranch

WE sell only softwood here in our area, given the only preferred hardwood is white/paper birch and it is very limited in growing site and less than 1 percent of our forest. [sells for about $350 a cord if you can find it]

Generally 3 choices [Note prices in Candian dollars]
- Western Larch [tamarac] is $275 per cord
- Douglas fir $250 per cord
- mixed white wood [lodgepole pine and white spruce] $175 per cord
Wood is cut 16 inch and split - free local delivery, $1.00 per mile one way out of town.
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

4x4American

So I often wonder, how often do you westerners who primarily burn softwood clean your chimney pipes?  Most of us easterners are hardwood snobs and wont burn any softwood, because we have the choice. 
Boy, back in my day..

OH logger

john

Bricklayer51

Sold a face cord of red oak last week for 70.00 but I did haul it a mile round trip.

Mapleman

I'm selling full cords of green mixed hardwood for 230 a cord here in Southern VT.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."

landscraper

From $225 before January 1, to $250 after January 1, per cord - mixed hardwoods, dumped or thrown off.  Upcharge for mileage.

Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Loesshillslogging

Quote from: landscraper on September 07, 2015, 09:08:41 PM
From $225 before January 1, to $250 after January 1, per cord - mixed hardwoods, dumped or thrown off.  Upcharge for mileage.

I like how you operate landscraper- so for me it's $280 before New Years and $300 after but I rather dump, already touched this wood enough. Full cords = 4 x 8 x 4 and the "upcharge" is the word of the day, perfect to cover mileage.
LHL

PS: Mixed hard woods, mostly oak, dried at less than 20% moisture stored indoors.

rjwoelk

We are getting $450 per cord  or $160 on 1/3 cord. It comes in a tote bag which we charge $15 for if they bring back the bag they get $10 credit on their next bag.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Hilltop366

Quote from: 4x4American on September 06, 2015, 09:07:51 PM
So I often wonder, how often do you westerners who primarily burn softwood clean your chimney pipes?  Most of us easterners are hardwood snobs and wont burn any softwood, because we have the choice.

I burn almost all spruce (it is what I can get for the taking) in my tarm boiler with a insulated ss chimney.  I have yet needed to clean my chimney in 15 years. When the wood is dry and burned at a good rate not smouldering for long periods of time there should be no issues.

SwampDonkey

Yep, a good burning fire needs air. The main reason we also burned the denser hardwood is the realestate is far less than burning spruce and fir and tamarack. I've never gone out in the snow bank for my firewood and am not about to start. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

North River Energy

Hilltop366,
If you don't mind, which Tarm, what is the inside diameter on your flue pipe, and how tall is the stack from boiler to cap?

Have an OT50 and thinking of reconfiguring the exhaust system.

As to the topic at hand, green seems to be averaging low to mid+ 200's (big range in quality), seasoned at or north of 300.
(SE NH.)

Ken

$275 seems to be the average here.  The phone will now be busy with the proverbial "got any dry firewood" queries now that labor day is behind us.  My response is always the same.  No, but can sell you some fresh from the vine.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Ivan49

Due to having heart problems this year I bought wood cut split and del for 150.00 for a 128 Cubic foot cord. It is all ash and oak cut last year

Hilltop366

Don't mind at all North River, it is a Tarm MB 55, 8" flue, 4' of ss stove pipe and 12' of insulated ss chimney.

Last year I changed the cap to a rotating weather vain type because of a problem with wind gust blowing down the chimney when the wind is blowing from the north east. The rotating cap helped a lot but not fully cured perhaps another 4' of chimney is in order.

John Mc

Quote from: 4x4American on September 06, 2015, 09:07:51 PM

It's a myth that burning softwood causes creosote formation. Burning wood incorrectly (green or starving it for oxygen) is what causes problems - assuming your stove or boiler is correctly installed.

What tends to give softwood a bad rap for burning "dirty" is that it burns fast and hot, and people try to counter this by choking off the air supply to make it last longer.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Hilltop366

Generally speaking does softwood have more resin? (thinking pine and fir)

If so would this cause more creosote?

beenthere

Well said there John Mc.  Sure agree...
Design of the wood burning apparatus also can have an effect.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Quote from: beenthere on September 09, 2015, 09:18:21 PM
Design of the wood burning apparatus also can have an effect.

Agreed. Though a poor design will tend to have problems with any wood
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!