iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

leather handle refurbish

Started by doc henderson, June 16, 2019, 06:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

I am not a knife maker.  i have a new hatchet eastwing, that I bought a few years back with a HD gift card.  My neighbor Jimmy gave me a box of old stuff he did not want and in it was an identical hatchet like mine, and i have given it to my son William.  we have cleaned and polished up the metal, was going to try to re-finish the handle.  is it a good idea?  how do you do it?  we engraved his name and number on the sheath.  i assume saddle soap would do well on the sheath.  seems like the handle is covered in varnish ect.  figured i would have him cover the metal with paste wax.

he used it after sharpening to chop out a 5 inch root near a rain pipe we were working on.  he even got a blister, good for a doctors kid!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bruno of NH

When I first got into carpentry work I used estwing hammers with handles like that.
I believe it's spar varnish on the handle.
I moved on to wooden handles better on my wrist and shoulder. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

lxskllr

I typically use olive oil on leather washer handles, but mine have been unfinished. I'd be tempted to use it on the Estwing. It'll darken the leather, coverage will be incomplete due to the existing finish, and it'll have to be periodically reapplied, but I think over time it'll have a nicer feel in-hand, and gain a customized patina. It likely won't be as pretty as the original finish, but I think it would be more functional. If olive oil is used, it should be stored away from mouse access. I hear they chew olive oil treated leather, but I personally haven't had a problem.

edit:
BTW, if you go with oil, there's no going back. It'll be permanently darkened, and you'll be committed to maintaining the oil finish, so if you consider it, consider it carefully.

Old Greenhorn

These are nice tools that cna last a lifetime. I have one around here somewhere, but I have about 15 hand axes so I lose track of where they all are. It's called a washer handle, and this one is hard varnished. You can sand it off, smooth sand any mis-matches between the washers and then re-varnish if you like. The failure point on these is the butt cap. I believe this one is peened over rivets, correct? Make sure those are tight and ther is no wobble in the washers, if so, you need to fix that first. If it's tight, you are good. The washer material itself can vary, usually leather, but I have seen wood used to0 and thi might be wood, I can't tell. i have also seen rubber used on sheath knives for washers. Select a finish suitable to the material. 
 For the sheath, clean with saddle soap as you have done, then apply neatsfoot oil and allow to dry overnight. Wipe off any excess and you are good to go. Re-apply the neatsfoot il once a year or so, or anytime the leather looks dry. Don't overdo it or the leather will get too soft and the rivets might start pulling out.
 I like the thin edge on these axes, good for trimming work. They take a bite easy. No so good for chip removal because of the thin bit. He shoud enjoy that ax for a long time.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

Ahem... I believe you have a pergola to build so there is no time to be playing around with that silly hatchet!!   :D  Will he be using that on the chickens you will need in order to finish said pergola in time for the party?    ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

we live just inside the city limits and are allowed 1 chicken for every 2,000 sq. feet with out a building on it.  We had a dozen back when the kids were younger.  none now but one strays in the yard, I sure it will come in handy.   :D  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

I may carefully try a little mineral spirits to get the adhesive from the sticker off.  more to just clean it,  but not make it sticky.  could sand it with fine paper.  or goo b gone,

Old Greenhorn

Hey Doc! I stumbled on this today, a different approach. FYI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH50sJKiYY8
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

for now I used goof off and took the oil and dirt off the leather.  the rectangle area where the sticker was applies and left the adhesive was the biggest eye sore for me.  i will check out further ideas for general knowledge.  

florida

I would sand the handle with 150 grit sandpaper which is what they do at the factory. Follow that witha dip in varnish.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

lxskllr

For your consideration...

The knife/sheath on the left was treated with olive oil(more than once), and has been on my side every work day for the last three five years. I lost it in the woods Friday, and consider it so essential, I ordered a replacement Friday. I found the old knife today, and also got the new one which is shown on the right.

edit:
Had the knife longer than I remembered. Time flies when you're getting old  :^D

Thank You Sponsors!