iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cypress

Started by Victor, July 16, 2009, 01:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor

I am looking for around 300 square feet of 1by8 Cypress, kiln dried, #2 or better in 16' lengths. Anyone know where I can get some? Thanks.

Victor

beenthere

25 boards.
Whatcha buildin?  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Victor

Beenthere

Tongue and groove roof deck for a timber frame structure.

Victor

LeeB

Cypress for looks, rot resistance, or something else?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Victor

LeeB,

For both beauty and rot resistance.

I'm building my own SIP. I am going to nail the t&g cypress to the rafters. Then I am going to nail sleepers over the cypress lined up directly over the rafters. Then I will fill in between the sleepers with rigid foam insulation and nail another roof deck made of regular SPF 1 by 8 to the top of the sleepers. Then tar paper and finally slate.

I want to use #2 cypress because it has a few sound, tight knots that will add character. The inside of the roof deck will be visible. Another possibilty is #2 western red cedar.

Victor

LeeB

I sorta figured that because surely there has to be cheaper more readily available material closer to you.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Once you added the note on western red cedar, I have to ask if it's southern cypress or western yellow cypress (Alaskan cedar). It to would be expensive and not sure on sourcing it too easily either.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Victor

SwampDonkey,

I was thinking of Southern Cypress. I found a place in North Carolina that has 1by8 for $1.10 per linear foot but not in 16' long. I thought that was a good price. Alaskan Yellow Cypress would be great except that has to be expensive.

So if anyone has 16 footers let me know as I am ready to buy. I can put the t&g on myself if you have regular boards.

Victor

ellmoe

Victor, We can make for you 1x8x16's  and kd them in a couple of weeks. However, unless you want to go to Disney the freight will be a killer. We are in Cent. Fla..

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

scsmith42

I don't think that he has any KD in stock, but Ivey here on the forum can mill you some cypress in NC, and stick it on a truck up to you.  He may have some AD 16 footers in stock.

Cypress AD's very well - fast and nice.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ivey

Thanks Scott.
Victor, I will send you a PM, I can help you out w/ those 16' 1x8
Logmaster LM-4 , New Holland 4x4 w/FEL , Ford L-9000 tandem w/ prentice TS-33 loader, Nyle L200M, Cook's 4" board edger, John Deere 310se backhoe w/ forks

Victor

Ivey,

Thanks for your PM. Your prices are great! But, I need air dried or kiln dried lumber as I need to put it up asap.

I are hearing from the people I talked with today over the phone that cypress from North Carolina is better than that from Florida. With the NC lumber, growth rings are tighter and there are fewer knots. Anyone care to share an opinion?

Victor

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ellmoe

Well I have a dog in this fight so maybe I shouldn't reply, but .. oh well. ;D.. I have purchased many loads of cypress from the Carolinas. From what I have seen it is just the opposite. The cypress we received from the Carolinas tended to be more open grained than we cut here. Also, when we used to run alot of cypress we had a large wholesaler from NC come down and buy all the pecky he could get from us. He told me that ours was a better grade than what he could buy local there. What he meant by that I don't know and didn't figure it mattered. As far as knots, that depends on how open the tree grew and what grade you buy.

We can notice a difference between pond cypress and bald cypress, but not enough to separate the two varieties. Unless your trying to get " Tank Stock grade" (for RR water tanks) does a small fraction of an inch in grain width really matter?

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Victor

I don't really know much about cypress so that's why I asked. I'm glad to hear the FL cypress is good wood. I only very recently have seen it used as an outdoor patio deck and I liked what I saw. I think there is a tremendous market for cypress up here in New England. Most people in the New England states are paying very high prices for make believe plastic wood with less than desirable results outdoors. I can't help but believe that they would use cypress instead if they only knew about it.

I haven't been able to find kiln or air dried cypress in 16' lengths so far and I can't wait for it to air dry here as it needs to go up asap.

Victor

Thank You Sponsors!