iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sthil 660

Started by justintimemoto, September 22, 2008, 03:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justintimemoto

im possibley buying a 660 and was wondering what they go for new because i can get one for 600 bucks and waa wondering what your experiences are with it
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

2006 suzuki rm 125 for sale

Dave Shepard

Last time I asked, a new 660 with bar and chain was over $1100. I can get one from a friend new for around $900, but I think that's near his cost. I like the 660, plenty of power for anything in my woods. ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

justintimemoto

no one else have information on this saw
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

2006 suzuki rm 125 for sale

woodsrunner

Check out the Stihl USA website. They have a feature that allows you to see the suggested retail price. The site shows an MS 660 with 25 inch bar listed at $1089.95 distributor suggested retail price.

Terry Dean

Hey there...
About a year ago my wife and kids bought me an MS 660 as an anniversary gift.
Man, let me tell you; THIS SAW ROCKS !!!
I'd been using an MS 440 for about 5 or 6 years now, along with a handfull of Huskys, Dolmars and Jones', and the 660 tops the pile of them.
If your work leads you into the 30+" stuff (breast height) then this saw will not dissapoint.
Matter of fact, around two weeks ago I burned up my 440, Yep, in a fire; don't ask, it's embarassing, and the extra weight of the 660 has more than compensated for the increased performance !!!
My advice; if your cutting needs warrant a saw of this size, BUY ONE !!!
They last and Last and LAST and last.
I ran my 660 for nearly 375 Hrs. before it needed an overhaul (new short block and ass. parts) . The mechanic told me it was partly my own fault for not running the STIHL brand 2 cycle, yeah, go figure.
Hey, gettin kinda long winded here.
Godspeed...
Terry Dean... a.k.a. Catholic Knight.......

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

ellmoe

Quote from: tyb525 on September 26, 2008, 10:25:34 PM

Man, you sure do know how to make a point, and succinct, too!  ;D

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

tyb525

I started to make a post about how I thought the 066 could handle  a much bigger bar than a 25", then realized that woodsrunner was just listing a base price, so I had to leave it blank.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Al_Smith

Generally speaking an Ms 660 will set you back a grand ,more or less .Very good saw but pricey ,then again though any saw of that size is going to be .

It seems this model has became the standard that most saws are compaired to .

oldsaw

It's a slice of heaven, for the first hour or so, then the weight kind of gets in the way, but the smile never leaves your face.  With a 25" bar, it's kind of like a light saber from Star Wars.  I like that combo.  Got a 20" on the 372 and all bases are covered.  Have a 36" bar for the "big" stuff, and a 42" for milling and the occasional "really big stuff".  Lester got us into another one of those this summer.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

woodmills1

066 and ms280 I don't even start my 038 any more.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

sawguy21

I don't blame you. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Paw

600$ for a 660....WoW! Buy it man!! here in the Denmark I paid 1800$. I been working Whit: Husqvarna and Jonsred, But I Have never worked Whit a more powefull an releably saw like the 660.
You wont regret the "sthilchoise"

Paw

rebocardo

> 066 and ms280 I don't even start my 038 any more

I know I shouldn't like using the heaviest and biggest saw I have all the time, but, the more I use the 066 the more I like it. Though I do skip it for the small <3" stuff.

Al_Smith

Truth be known very few people can justify the price of any large saw unless they are in the business of using one to make their living .

One praticular fellow who is a dyed in the wool Stihl affectionato almost insists that anybody can be justified purchasing a saw of this caliber just to cut a few cords of firewood . Now on that he must not cut too much fire wood or an extreme amount of 30" stuff and a lot  of it on a regular bassis .

As for the saw,can't say one bad thing about them myself .Except being pricey and a tad heavy for most general usages of a saw .

Engineer

I used to have an 066.  For $600, in good shape, I'd pawn my kids for another.   ;D :D ;D :D

But seriously - that's an awesome price if it's in good shape.  I got rid of mine because I just couldn't justify having it.  For 10-12 cords of firewood a year and occasional sawmill-area use, it's too big a saw.  It DOES put a smile on yer face, though.

8)

wv logger

we run them everyday and for cutting timber theyre great and for $600....i dont even know what to say about that....i'd file the serial numbers off it if you buy it.  :D

Al_Smith

600 bucks doesn't neccesarily mean that somebody lifted it .

People run low on cash all the time and sell stuff .600 is a  sight more than a pawn shop would give them ,for sure .

My little buddy the tree trimmer picked up an 066 for 50 .He then sunk about 500 in it for a complete rebuild but ended up with a dandy saw out of it .

As far as price goes I have less than 150 in a very good running 2100 Husky which is about even Steven with a 066/Ms 660 so inexpensive saws are out there if you look for them .

zopi

Do you need that much saw? Probably not. Does the guy that drives a 1978 Porsche 935 Turbo to work need 400 hp in 2500 lbs? No. But it sure is fun!

I have a 180..goto limbing saw, a 290..stays in the case unless my wife is using the 180, and a 660..
MAN! It's alot like cutting wood with a funny car..with a sharp chain on, I can buck a 20 ft 14"
maple trunk in about a minute and half..stove legnth...the one big drawback is the weight..It is not a saw for a little guy to run all day long..I weigh in about 140lbs...and I can only run the thing for about 20 minutes before I'm done for 15 or 20 minutes...

I have a 20" bar that I leave on the saw, and a 36" that I use occasionally in an Alakan MKIII sawmill..mostly to quarter really big stuff that is worth something...or to fell a real monster tree..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Al_Smith

I won't let size be a determinate .My little buddy the tree trimmer only weighs about 150 and 5'7" .I'm 6 foot 220 pounds .He can handle an 084 as well as I can .Of course he's 40 and I'm 60 so there might be something to that . :D

Thank You Sponsors!