iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Instant Message Salvation

Started by Jeff, December 26, 2008, 12:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Are your instant messages running out the sides of your monitor? Is your inbox bulging and your outbox plugged? If so, we have the product for you!

The New Forestry Forum Handy-Dandy Instant Message Saver. It cleans, protects and its server safe!  ;D

Actually, is just a link in the left hand preferences in your message center that says:

Save all PMs

You can save your P.M.s to a file on your computer, then after doing that, you can delete them from your in and out boxes.

Instructions are pretty basic. Save your messages from your inbox, then navigate to your outbox and save those files in a separate file.  Once you are sure you have saved the messages to your computer, you are ready to purge your messages so you can have a fresh mail system again.

Doing this will help remove any message errors you may have been getting in the past, and also really help on server storage space.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

That rocks.  Is there an easy way to "delete all messages" in the mailbox we are currently in?

Radar67

Warbird, click the box to the right of the word From and then click on Delete Selected at the bottom. They all go away.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Jeff

Actually, there is a prune option that lets you put in the age of the posts and delete anything older then that. If you want them all gone, enter a zero (0)

Look for the link under preferences in your message center that says: Prune Messages

Warbird

Awesome.  79 messages *poof* gone.  :)

Tom

pigman

You mean I have two mail boxes on the forum :o, one for incoming mail and one for outgoing mail. I just have one box for my snail mail, the same box for both the incoming and outgoing.  I just knew this was a special place, just didn't know how special. :D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

beenthere

I cleaned out most, not all, of my messages.
Now the message tally reads

you have 0 messages, 0 are new.
December 26, 2008, 07:33:54 PM

There are about 20 messages left in there, for now.

??  ??   ??? ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Probably because of your mix and match method of deleting.  Save all of them to a file then delete all of them. That resets the discrepancies in the database that have built up by deleting here and there.

EAT MORE FISH!

Jeff

The other thing that causes problems sometimes with the message boxes, and actually a huge drain on the server, is when people that are on here everyday still use the instant message email notification. That amounts to a huge amount of emails that must be sent by the server everyday. That can add up to thousands. When people are on here everyday, I don't understand the need to have an email sent to you that you have a message. Normally when someone shuts that off, they never have another count problem.

beenthere

Quote from: Jeff on December 26, 2008, 09:00:10 PM
The other thing that causes problems sometimes with the message boxes, and actually a huge drain on the server, is when people that are on here everyday still use the instant message email notification. That amounts to a huge amount of emails that must be sent by the server everyday. That can add up to thousands. When people are on here everyday, I don't understand the need to have an email sent to you that you have a message. Normally when someone shuts that off, they never have another count problem.

Until now, didn't know that.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warbird

Quote from: beenthere on December 26, 2008, 09:45:48 PM
Until now, didn't know that.

I didn't, either.  Turned that option off.  I've never had the email notification when a topic is replied to turned on.  Imagine that one might generate a lot of email, too.

Jeff

Beenthere, I didnt mean to imply you were doing something wrong to cause that, its just the nature of the thing.

farmerdoug

Thanks, Jeff

That is just what I was asking for. 8)
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI