iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Toyota's Problems

Started by DouginUtah, March 10, 2010, 01:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouginUtah

If you have been listening to the national news lately you have probably heard about the Prius in San Diego/El Cahon which supposedly had a stuck gas pedal and got up to 94 MPH.

As Stossel would say, "Give me a break!" This guy ought to be in jail. His story is a bunch of bull****.

I have heard the 911 call and the operator asks, "Can you put it into neutral." His reply, "No." Can you press the Start Button. Inaudible (No).

In other reports he says he put it into neutral and it kept going. Impossible.

He is ticked because he went to a dealer and they told him his car was not on the floormat recall.

Almost as bad as the truck owner who purposely crashed his Tundra into the dealer's building.

These people should not have driver's licenses.

Let's see how many people disagree with me. :)

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Warbird

This reminds me of back in the day when people were tampering with packages in stores and there was this big scare.  Lots of time/money was spent tracking down the actual criminals/terrorists.  Enter the copycats.  One guy in particular I remember put some kind of chemical in his eye, claimed his eye drops had been tampered with, just so he could get on the news and maybe get some money out of the deal.

Sad.  :-\

WH_Conley

I have been wondering since this started how people can not know how to drive. I remember all the old junk we used to drive. Had more than one throttle spring come off and run wide open. Pulling a hill in a truck and the motor mount give out and start down the other side wide open.

Who cares about RPM's, shove it in neutral, get it to the side, then shut it off. So what if you blow an engine, a lot better than hitting something.

I have tried to teach my girls that the gear shift was as useful as the brake or throttle.
Bill

Jeff

Doug, I've had this feeling the guy is trying to pull something too.  If it turns out he is, he's not the only criminal. So are the news outlets that enabled him.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

We'll never know the truth, since they took the car straight to the dealer to have it checked out.  It should have gone to the NTSB.  Something is wrong with those cars and it has nothing to do with floor mats.  I have no reason to seriously doubt the guy's story, which was backed up by the cop that assisted him, nor do I have particular reason to believe it.  I see no reason to speculate about it. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

RSteiner

It is sad today that there are an abundance of people who are looing for big lawsuit settlements.  I heard on the news that Toyota was sending a tech to inspect the car, should they not find something wrong the man should be arrested for putting the police officer and the public in danger.  He is no better than a terrorist.

Randy
Randy

bl73

if the guy is lying he only learned from the exec's at toyota, and most guys driving a prius should have their man card taken away. I just don't understand why people believe this floormat scam, maybe the exec's from toyota should be the one's locked up for putting us all at danger and blaming a floormat.

Jeff

The only thing the cop can back up is that the car was going too fast and his breaks were smoking. I could make that happen, but yer right Dang, no reason to speculate either way other then I just have the gut feeling there was more to the story.

If one might speculate in paranoia...  The ability for a hacker to wirelessly hack into an automobiles computer controlled systems and manipulate them from another vehicle or even home.   I don't know if Toyota has anything like onstar or Lojack, but could you imagine?  

There are companies that create ways to control auto systems remotely already, perhaps Toyota may have some things built into their software that no one knows about yet.  Almost no one... EVIL LAUGH

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2007/03/track-and-control-your-car-via-the-web.html
First comment on this Blog Posting? "That's just begging to be hacked."
http://www.inilex.com/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

I'll believe it when they prove it.  Sounds like another "Balloon Boy" to me..... :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wudman

I've heard a couple of (news) stories where a knowledgable engineer was able to replicate the situation across a number of makes of vehicles.  They were deliberately shorting a couple of sensors out and it was causing the motor to run wild.  I have personally witnessed a GM diesel self destruct when it ran wild (It was one of the Oldsmobile 350 engines from the late 80's that was converted to diesel - basically a gas engine with an injector pump stuck down the distributor).  It was sitting in the yard at the time and nothing we did had any effect.

These new vehicles have so many electronics, that I am not sure if there is a mechanical shift linkage on them or not.  I have a new Ford Truck and know that the shift points are computer controlled.  Can anybody tell me if there is a mechanical linkage to the trans or is the shifter telling the computer what it is supposed to do? I guess anything is possible.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

SwampDonkey

I'm not personally speculating on any of this, but with all the Toyota's I see around me on the roads I have never heard of any of these problems being reported. I'm sure there the possibility it wouldn't be anyway because of privacy issues. But heck, in my family we have 3 of'm and no one complained yet.  8) I have been on some nasty back roads with my RAV 4 during thinning and the only problems is tires, can only get 4 ply on car frame vehicles. The car will go anywhere. I had a Dodge that fell apart long before the mileage I got on my RAV, got tired of $700-900 every visit to the garage 1 or 2 times a year. ;D

There, said my piece. And besides I don't put a lot of stock in all that media fluff. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

Maybe Toyota PO'd the US gov't and this is a media blitz to destroy them.

Dan_Shade

The toyota stuck accelerator has killed more people than the pinto gas tanks did.

This is a serious problem, regardless of the cause of it.  Whether or not the latest example is true or not remains to be seen.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Tom

Oh yeah!?!?  Well, That's nothing!    This morning I was sawing some extra hard hickory with my Baker 3638 when the engine ran away.  It was screaming !!   I couldn't get it to shut down.   The hydraulics acted as if they had a mind of their own.  The thing just kept loading logs and running the blade through them till I finally ran out of logs at noon.  Thirty-three thousand feet of 1x4's.  It almost killed me.  I don't know if I'll be able to saw again for at least a couple of days.   Good thing I ran out of logs when I did too.  I could have starved to death.

We would have been covered up with sawdust and suffocated if my granddaughter hadn't had her Tonka dump truck out there.  Wonders never cease.  She kept up with it the whole time, though she didn't gain on it much. 

The mill is still sitting there in the woods, but all the lumber has been picked up and sawdust was taken away by fellow from Michigan who has a OWB.  You should have seen the blade before we sent it to the scrapper.  It didn't have any teeth left on it at all.

I sure hope that doesn't happen again.  I might have to call CEO, Mike, at Baker in Ellington, and tell him that  their Dang mill is cutting too much.  I don't know if they realize the liability or not, but my lawyer will let them know.  Heck! my blisters have blisters.

You never know what could have happened if it had slid off of the legs and gotten into the swamp.  It would have probably sawed up all of my live oak, white oak, water oak and pine.  

I tried to turn the key off, but I couldn't catch it.  :-\

WH_Conley

Don't ya just hate when that happens? :D
Bill

D Hagens

Quote from: Jeff on March 10, 2010, 03:37:32 PM

There are companies that create ways to control auto systems remotely already, perhaps Toyota may have some things built into their software that no one knows about yet.  Almost no one... EVIL LAUGH

Yeah my wife's car had a remote kill switch that GM could control from head office when she missed a payment. No joke, I was driving her car down the road and it shut off. :D I called her and she told me she missed a payment and we had to call to get the thing turned on again. :D
I took note after that to never drive her car again and I also took note to buy the car and not let her go on these credit sprees. :D

easymoney

that guy that was driving the toyota seemed too calm and collected to have just taken the ride he supposedly did. also the policeman claimed he slowed in front of the toyota to help bring it to a stop. why was there no apparent damage to either car?

timberfaller390

This guy in the prius may or my not be telling the truth but we will se alot of untruths when people get tired of paying car payments and decide to run thier yota into a tree and blame it on a stuck pedal. I am pretty sure turning the key to the off (not lock) position will slow you down. 94 down the freeway ain't that fast that's just keeping up with traffic on I-75.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Tom

In the story, the policeman said that he got in front with the intention of slowing the car down, but the car was already slowing down after he told the driver to use the brake and emergency brake simultaneously.

I'm not going to guess.  The experts will figure it out.  I have the faith of a mustard seed.  :D

ARKANSAWYER

If Toyota had taken bail out money they would not be having all these problems.  Just last year GM had to recall 1.5 million cars for the engine catching on fire.  :o  I did not hear about that in the news much.  But by then Obama owned GM and I did not see him in front of Congress saying it would be OK and he would have the cars fixed.  I worked at a Chrylser  Dealership for years and we were always doing recalls.  We also sold Volkswagons and Jeeps and they too were recalled.  One time I was doing recalls on Renualts and the owners got a check for the inconvience.  We had 3 cars towed in from a junk yard so the owner could get the check and I put heater cores in cars that had not run in years and one did not even have an engine.  
 I do not think the cars are all that unsafe or causing all these problems.  Sure some may have stuck or the floor mat got in the way.  I know of people who have gotten rattled and hit the gas instead of the brakes.  A short in a cruise control system could casue the car to speed up.  If ON STAR and kill the engine and flash the lights for the cops there is no limit to what the computer can do to a car.  But most cars retain the information or can have a devicce put in that will monitor everything.
 The more the media talk about this the less I hear about health care.  Just they are trying to shove it down our throats.  One Dem is being kicked out because he would not vote for it.  So now they have him on charges for messing around with a male aide.  Wonder where their high standards were when Bill C. was in the White House messing around with the help?
ARKANSAWYER

limbrat

Its a distraction, since all the recalls i havent heard a thing about a toyota diesel pickup. seems like it would be easier to just to release a torkey tacoma diesel.
ben

gunman63

But why dont they  put it in neutral, simple man, it dont even take  common sense

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D  Between Tom and Arky your both going to have to get me up off the floor. ;) ;D

Oh wait, I think it's bed time. Lights out. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bibbyman

Not to worry.. Not to worry..  I head a little blip on the radio the other day that one of our leaders in Washington was going to fix the problem.  He had introduced (or proposed) some legislation that would require all manufactures to install some kind of anti-runaway device on all cars and trucks sold in the USA.  I'm not making this up.  But that's all I heard about it kind of on the tail end of a Toyota report.

Reminds me of the time when a 67 Plymouth Belvidere GTX 426 Hemi went full throttle on Town Hill.  The guy's wife was driving it at the time.  He had put all kinds of mods on it to try to beat a 67 Chevy II with 350hp 327 in a 1/4 drag race (as far as I know, he never did).  He had installed some kind of roller linkage throttle system on the carburetors and the linkage came apart somehow.  I understood that it got a bit sideways until she clutched it and turned off the key.  It ended up in a yard causing no damage other than bending all the pushrods in the engine.  :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

stonebroke

This is not new. Remember Audi back in the 80's

Stonebroke

Thank You Sponsors!