iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CWD Now In NC

Started by SawyerTed, September 11, 2022, 07:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Chronic Wasting Disease in deer is now in NC.  CWD is in a small area straddling the border of two neighboring counties (Surry and Yadkin) west of Stokes, where I live and hunt.

I believe 2 deer have been officially identified as having CWD.  The NC Wildlife Commission has implemented a "primary surveillance zone" and a "secondary surveillance zone".  I live in the secondary zone.  The entire area covers 8 counties in NC.

We now have specific rules for deer harvest reporting, testing, carcass disposal and meat handling.  The rules aren't prohibitive but do add another level of vigilance required if a hunter chooses to harvest a deer.

CWD has been identified in the Virginia border counties for several years.  It was inevitable the disease would migrate south.  It is interesting that the identified deer were located 40-50 miles from the identified deer in Virginia.  Logic would suggest that CWD is more widespread than the small area the NCWRC has identified as the high impact area, thus the 8 county area.  

I lament how this has potentially changed deer hunting but fully understand why the new rules are necessary.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

JD Guy

The first time that I heard of CWD was many years ago on one of our annual Grouse hunting trips to WI. Not surprised,that it has migrated. In fact had a very small scrawny doe yesterday that came up by the house and began munching down on what little foundation plants are left😬.

After chowing for about 30 minutes it just laid down right against the foundation. I really thought it was going to die there but about another 30-45 minutes she struggled to her feet and ambled off.

We have lots of deer that come through the yard often but have never seen one this emaciated. 

Walnut Beast

Where it all started!! CWD was first identified in captive deer in a Colorado research facility in the late 1960s, and in wild deer in 1981. By the 1990s, it had been reported in surrounding areas in northern Colorado and southern Wyoming.

Ron Scott

We are living with it here in nearby areas with specific changes to the statewide deer hunting regulations such as a baiting ban on all of Lower Michigan. This has been in effect for the last few years.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!