iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skidder not working out

Started by logman81, July 24, 2012, 06:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

Lm81, is there room enough to separate the 2 parts to repair threads rather than weld? That way if access is needed in the future it is easier. I guess you can cut the weld just as well when the time came to fix or access later as well.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

logman81

No, no room the top half where the bearing bolts into is welded to the frame, the welding shop told me this is the only way to fix by welding together. I or some else will just have to cut the weld if it ever wears out.
Precision Firewood & Logging

lumberjack48

logman81 which side of your winch controller is your winch lever, seat side or outside ?
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

logman81

It is inside, there is no room for it on the outside it hits the cab.

lumberjack48

It was mounted back wards, it really don't make a difference. It can be mounted which ever way you want to use it, gearmatic factory mounting is, push back to winch, push down to release.
It really don't make to much difference, you still have to turn in the seat and use your left arm to winch with to watch your cable, chokers and trees, so it all comes in straight.
My S8 IH had a mirror i couldn't use it, it was just something else to break off.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

logman81

Sounds good I'm going to leave it alone it works fine. It should be out of the shop by this weekend hopfully. I'll work it some on my land, and if all works good it will be on a house lot clearing next week.

logman81

The old bone is out of the shop finally. Going to make sure everything is up and working properly then if all is good it's of to a house lot clearing. Got one question though, the master control doesn't seem to have much resistance when pushing it to winch in and I have to push it far before it starts to winch in. could thier be air in the line. I don't see any leaks.

barbender

Sounds like it has air in it, mine barely moves to engage.
Too many irons in the fire

logman81

Thats what I think to, I have to pump the hadle a few times to build pressure than it works, but loses pressure after a little while and have to pump again to build pressure again. Other than that it works good.

logman81

All fixed and off to a job cutting pine!

barbender

I am really excited for you to get out pulling wood, way to stick with it ;)

mad murdock

8) 8)Woohooo!  Now we want to see some action shots!  Way to go Logman81!  I bet it will feel good to be in the drivers seat of that old PBone! 8)  Way to stick it out!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

logman81

Thanks mad murdock it's been a long time coming. Put on it's first job since rebuild and it's pulling wood like a champ! I will try to post some action shots for you all to see in the coming days.

logman81

Down loaded a pic of the skidder in action to my gallery but cant figure how to post to here.

treetech

I'll help you out. Skidder looks good !

logman81

Thanks a bunch treetech, yeah it's finally in the woods pulling logs.

treetech

No problem. Good luck with the new/old skidder!! 8)

barbender

Man! You cleaned that thing up nice, the paint looks sharp. It's good to see a skid behind that ol girl.

thecfarm

Don't see many of those around here. You will have to take another picture to try this out.

Go to your gallery,Click onto your album,than click onto whatever picture you want,it will get bigger,than scroll down a little to find,Insert Image In post,click onto that,say yes and that is it. I like to hit the enter key at least once or twice to move the picture down away from a post. The enter key really helps to leave some white space if posting more than one picture. Somewheres I think it says to add 10,000 to your user number or something like that to make a clickable icon to your gallery under your user name. use the preview button to see how it looks.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

Thanks barbender I have done alot to the old bone. I think it is pretty much 100%. Just need to give the motor a little adjusting and should be set. I realy enjoyed rebuilding it. It gave me a chance to realy understand how it ticks. In fact I liked rebuilding it so much that I may continue to buy older skidders fix them up and re sell as a side line when things are slow. Already got my eye on a can car c5 for cheap!

mad murdock

Looks real good Logman81! Congrats are in order. You done a right fine job on that skidder! Sure looks good to see it pulling wood! Long live the old iron!!

logman81

Thank you mad murdock I'm a big fan of the old forestry equipment, most were made well and are simple and easy to fix. I will take more pics of the old bone as soon as I'm back over there.

brendonv

Congrats on getting it going.

I just read your first post in this thread, a bit different then the outcome!

I go through this weekly with my tree care business.  One week everything is for sale, next week your buying more, next week you'd rather work for someone, and so on.  Oh what fun.   :D
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

logman81

Thanks Brandon, I'm glad I stuck it out and fixed it up. Hang in thier as I did and stay with it. Now all I need is a log trailer like yours and I'll be in good shape, they look realy handy!

logman81

Well guys I have to say good by to my pettibone. Guy came to look at it this morning and loved it and bought it on the spot! It'll be heading to NY in a day or two. I'm going to miss her.

Thank You Sponsors!