iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

353 coolant heater

Started by DDDfarmer, December 01, 2012, 06:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDDfarmer

Hi guys I was wondering if someone could help me out with with something.  My old treefarmer has the trusty 353 detroit and I would like to set it up with a spit swapper type system.  We built a pipe-water-jacket that will be heated with the tanker torch, and will plumb this to the 353 via hoses-quick connects.

Yet here comes the brick wall  ::)  I/we can't find a second tie in to the engine.  Maybe I/we can't see past the oil?  Can anyone out there help me on this?
Left side of engine

Here is the one plug right off the water pump that I was going to use.  Yes the generator is gone it just quit and I am going to replace with a alternator.

Right side

Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Mark K

I used the plug on the top of the water pump and there was a plug on the right side of my engine block. Had quick couplers on the skidder and the truck and a set of hoses. Worked real well with my Dodge cummins but i've heard from a couple guys at the mill that it raises havoc with newer gas engines.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

jwilly3879

There should be 1/2" npt plugs on the water pump and on the thermostat housing. My 353 had hoses and quick connects into these ports. I am now using these for the cab heater on the loader.

thenorthman

I had considered doing this to the deere but so far it starts easy but we have only been down to about 30 this year, did try it out on a merecedes car a while back neat trick...
well that didn't work

DDDfarmer

The only plug I can see on the right side is where the electric heater is and I want to keep that for when its home.

If I was to use the plugs at the pump and thermostat wouldn't the water just circulate through the bypass pipe between them?  If that is where they go then ok.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

bushmechanic

You could use the block off plate on the back of the cylinder head,it is located on the back in the same place that the thermostat housing is bolted on in the front of the head.Take it off drill it and tap it pipe thread and install a 90 degree fitting in the plate with a hose connection and your good to go. I have use this location when piping in cab heaters,works perfect.I don't know why you just don't use the block heater with a generator,anyway good luck.

lumberjack48

I would use the same pluming thats hooked to your electric heater. On hook the eclectic header and put quick couplers on. Then put a set of quick couplers on the eclectic heater so you can use it at home.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

cutter88

i have one it plumbs in that cooland hose coming out of ur clock by that filter housing and the outher one goes in the back of the head  :) hope this helps
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

cutter88

Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

DDDfarmer

Thanks for the help guys.  I am going to try using my 1500 generator and see how that works out first.  I am just afraid of having it grow legs, (there have been vehicle tracks across the field and around my skidder.)  If that doesn't do the trick I will start plumbing.  But the way my day job has been lately, just not sure when I will get a chance to work with it.

Thank You Sponsors!