iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Wood Pellet Plant

Started by Ken, December 20, 2009, 09:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black_Bear

Tughill,

I visited the Jaffrey plant in May 2009 and they were chipping roundwood on site with a chain flail debarking chipper. They weren't actually chipping while we were there, but they were set up to do so and had been chipping in the days prior to our visit. As you know, times change fairly quickly in the northeast, usually season to season, and you were dead on about the waste/sawdust market. They couldn't procure enough waste material to satisfy their demands so they had to start buying chips.

The chief designing engineer was very knowledgable about the operations of the plant and stated that he had visited Europe numerous times to get ideas for the Jaffrey and Schulyer plants. He also stated that the EU was light years ahead of us in pellet production.

I'm surprised that there are interior pictures of the NB plant on the internet. We weren't allowed to take pictures in Jaffrey and they were reluctant to give us specific information about their processes.

Ed

tughill

Black bear, do you know if they are buying round wood down here in schuyler?  I'm wondering what they are paying and what the specs are for round wood, ie, are they buying pulp logs, tree length etc.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."- Thomas Jefferson
Local Farmer here won 10$ million in the lottery, when asked what he was going to do with his winnings, responded, "Keep on farming until that's all gone too."

stonebroke

In Nothern Logger there was a story about a logger selling inwoods debarked chips to Schuyler but I don't think they take roundwood. Eventually they probably will have to with the decline in wood using and processing businesses in upstate NY.

Stonebroke

Quebecnewf

Very interesting posts guys.

The way I am looking at this HQ dam project is that all wood should be removed before it is flooded no exceptions. Even if it does not make money per say to harvest some of the smaller and less (easy to harvest) etc trees. The money that will be made selling the 1500 MW of electricity once the project is done will more than ofset any amounts that are spent cutting trees.

For those of you who are not aware Hydro Quebec is next to god in the provence of Quebec and to try to force them to do something they don't want to do is no small task. It will be very interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Quebecnewf

Black_Bear

No, I don't know what the Schuyler plant is buying.

Samuel

This plant looks impressive.  Where is is located exactly?  Its good to see Forestry in NB is still moving forward..there are days I miss being there.
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

SwampDonkey

I think it's on route 620 between Tay Mills and Stanley.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Samuel

Ok...after a quick Google I remember now where that is.  I should come home for a visit.  Its coming up on 15 years here this summer. :o
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

SwampDonkey

If your in Fredericton, you go out what we call the Royal Road, that turns into the 620 out past the basaltic rock bluff.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ken

Swamp Donkey / Samuel

The plant is actually located approximately 35 km north of Fredericton on Route 8 in Nashwaak Bridge. 

On another note (to all), take a few minutes and back up your computer files. The harddrive on my 5 month old laptop crashed nearly a week ago and I just got it back from the retailer where I purchased it.  I suspect there are many other forumites who don't back up their computer as often as they should.  Not sure yet what all I lost but losing any sucks.

Cheers
Lots of toys for working in the bush

SwampDonkey

Thanks Ken. They always say near Stanley. Why don't they just say Nashwaak Bridge?  ::) Media, eh? ;)

Ed_K

yes puter backup,i'm using a netbook tonight as the big one is not back from the fake windows security that totally killed it.
Ed K

steveforest

The power plant pellets are different from residential wood stove pellets. Industrial pellets are larger and have different specs.
Don't mess with success

Thank You Sponsors!