iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snow depth in your area

Started by Ken, March 06, 2011, 08:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

Last week we had to shut down our harvesting as our poor tired skidders could not wade it any more.  Didn't really hurt my feelings as I could not drag my relatively large carcass through it either.   We had been working in a relatively heavy stand of balsam fir and white spruce so we were able to work on our brush.  When we had to begin removing scattered fir from a stand of hardwood it was just too deep.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of 4' of predominately powder.

It's been quite mild here both yesterday and today with a significant rainfall forecast for the remainder of today and tomorrow.  That should allow us to make some trails with the skidders as they will track through wet snow a lot easier.  Road restrictions are supposed to take effect tonight so that is probably a sign that everything will come to a close for mud season very soon.  This time last year I was able to start walking blocks looking for pre-commercial thinning sites but that won't happen for a bit longer this year.  Pretty bad when you start looking forward to your first mosquito bite.

Cheers
Ken

Lots of toys for working in the bush

snowstorm

last friday......3 to 4' after the warm up and some rain its gone down some. we will see how much rain comes today. for northwestern maine the forcast is for 2' of new snow.

chevytaHOE5674

Many areas around here have 2-4'+ of base in the woods. But we had a big warm up a few weeks back so it is hard as a rock and settled. Crews have been going full bore in the woods all winter, they rarely let they deep snow slow them down.

But load restrictions will be on March 14th for sure, but maybe sooner if the weather warms up. So that will slow the woods and sawmill down for a few weeks hopefully.

snowstorm

how do road restrictons work in other states? in maine the town or state can post the roads. but if its frozzen you can go. often its limited to 28000lbs. those that are exempt are oil trucks milk trucks and those plow and sand trucks whitch are exempt from all weight laws

justincase

Put a couple pics in my profile because I couldn't figure out how to put them here. I can tell you each tree is waist deep because I started carrying a shovel this past week to dig out trees and my little 440d is having a hard time. Pouring rain today so hopefully it will be a little easier this week.

Bobus2003

For the most part there there only a few inches of snow, but on steep ground any snow is too much.. Though their are places its a few feet deep.. Supposed to get another 4-6" tonight.. but the 2' storm is gonna miss us

Load Limits (Weight Restrictions) on the roads here are County implemented, depend on the Road Condition, Road Material (Gravel or Paved) and Usage. Most get Restricted to 7 or 8 ton per Axle. Many guys run 5 axle tractors here and swap their 2 axle pup for 3 or 4 Axle (Running single wheels) pups for this time of year.

Coon

:D Around here you don't wanna go in the bush or anywhere close to it as we have anywhere from 4-8' in most places.  Friends of mine were snowmobiling yesterday and they did not dare step off the machines unless they were on hard packed or groomed trails.  They tried in one spot and stepped off into snow up to their necks.  :D  When they tried to leave they buried all four snowmobiles.  :D  There are very few loggers going around these parts because of snow depth.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

The snow has dropped a lot here in the fields today. We've had over an inch of rain now.  I can see bare patches today and expect the robins any day now. :D I suspect there is around 24 inches in the woods. We have missed some of the storms to the south. Underneath my yard spruces in the back, it is getting pretty bare. But I have some pretty deep drifts off the fields in places. Down by the shop, one drift is about 8 feet deep covering the windows and up to the roof drip line. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

1270d

Here in the central UP  we don't have but maybe 6" to 1' on the ground in most places.   
Load restriction rumors are rampant this time of year. (gives the truckers something to talk about)   

when restrictions go on here, there are no special permits for cold mornings.  the county throws them on at the first sign of a warm sunny day.  this is because of the few guys that tried to push the limit in past years and ended up tearing up the roads.   several years ago someone rutted a brand new pave job for almost a mile.   once restrictions are on there is no wood moving unless you happen to be lucky enough to have a job on class A road.   

SwampDonkey

We have an 80% weight restriction which will soon be going on. The main arteries like the one from the border , through town and clean through to Deersdale has no restrictions.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

justincase

A lot of our secondary roads have been posted all winter but now we have to be careful with days getting warmer. We can haul as long as temps are below freezing and there is no standing water on the roads. Pretty soon nights will be the only option till mid May when the posters come off.

thecfarm

Roads has been posted here for at least 2 weeks.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Well, I've been trying to keep this latest slop from turning to ice by keeping it removed. The snow plow came late and now I have both entrances plugged with rolled up ice balls (or will be), so out I go soon to get that out of the way.....in the darn rain. So of course all the roof snow is out around the doors to. ::) Sheared off a pin on one side of the auger, so a 3/8 bolt was appropriately installed in it's place with lock washer.  ;D

Mark K

We just got hammered last night with snow. Rained like crazy Saturday night and Sunday which makes a big mess. Got 26" last night, my F-350 was about useless trying to move it. Had to fall back on the old Farmall M and back blade. Slow but got it done. Most roads are closed from blowing and drifting snow. Guess I'll keep feeding the stove and hang out with my wife and boys ;D.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Coon

Road Bans are normally put on here March 1st, but not this year.   Still using winter weights until the weather warms to above freezing.  Might be a while though.... it was only -40 C last night with the winchill.  ::)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

Ok, now this slush removal thing today is getting as bad as pushing the lawn mower. I broke a cable, and just happened to have a spare. I've broke 4 over the years because they just have a cheap quality spring on the end. Of course the shop told me every time I broke one that they never have any trouble with them. Yeah right, they just aren't buying the part from them. Or they gave up and hired the snow plowing. :D

g_man

Friday the snow was just below the top of my picnic table, 30". There is more in the woods. Then Saturday night and Sunday morning it rained and we only lost 4" of snow. I was hoping for more. I haven't had the tractor in the woods for 3 weeks. Then turned to sleet and snow. We got about two feet of that. Hard to really tell it blew so much at the end. The wifes clothes line pole is hardly sticking up now.

SwampDonkey

Going to rain here again by Friday. Just rain I hope, and also hope not heavy rain. The ground is frozen, but it's soaked deep from last Dec.

Phorester

We had a good inch on the ground this morning.  Took almost 2 hours to melt.  Pretty rough here..... ;D

SwampDonkey

I just don't know how you can live with yourself, all that harshness and hard treading. :D

Jasperfield

Since 12/06/10 to date I've had 59". Sunday's snow was 3".

Last year thru 03/31 I had 47".

SwampDonkey

The weatherman says we are going to get more snow in March. We already had most our snow in February. Mid January we only had a couple inches. I don't put much clout in long range weather guessing. :D

MtnDon

Not nearly enough!  A couple weeks ago we only had 10 inches in places and bare patches all over the south slope. Last year at this time we had 4 feet. This is going to be a very bad fire season year.

Ken

We had some rain on Sunday here before it turned to freezing rain Sunday night.  Yesterday was a combination of rain, sleet and freezing rain.  The trees are hanging heavy with ice today.  There appears to be a heavy crust everywhere.  If so it will create a great opportunity to get out and look at some blocks without snowshoes.   North of here seemed to get primarily snow while south of here was all rain.

I was able to make some trails with the skidder yesterday as the snow was quite saturated.  The belly pan of my 225 was still dragging but the snow depth has dropped a foot or so.  That should allow us to work for the remainder of this week.  Calling for cold enough weather at night to keep the woods road hard.   This seasons logging will come to a close very soon.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!