iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finishing Outdoor Benches

Started by driggins, January 24, 2006, 11:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

driggins

Greetings,

I am developing outdoor benches and would appreciate feedback on the best solution for finishing them. I am working with roughsawn, 4-inch slabs of hardwood, primarily oak and hickory. The benches will be permanently installed outdoors, in the sun/shade/wind/rain/cold/heat. Thus, a durable, long-lasting finish is desired!

I have left the bark on the edges of the slabs and would like to finish the slabs in such a way that the bark remains as part of the bench.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Daryl

Den Socling

I have a bench made from a slab off an oak log that has been around for 28 years!  ::) Is that possible? jeez Anyway, the guy that made it for me said that he coated it with linseed oil. Over the years, I occasionally give it a soaking covering of teak oil or what ever oil-based protectorant that I have. Nothing that makes a 'skin coat' is going to last, IMO.

Frank_Pender

Frank Pender

SPIKER

this is one of those questions I was wanting to ask a while back and forgot about it.  I want to take a few of the larger branches/toped out and make a few selected benches back in the woods just using the chain saw & a few ole galv deck screws.   protection I was thinking of using tompsones water sealer or something similar?

just glad someone asked about it to remind me.
marK
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Ironwood

Nature always wins, let the lignin grey!! Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Den Socling

The bench I mentioned has no hardware. The guy bored four holes at a slight angle outward to make the bench stable. Then he took a white oak sapling and whittled four pieces to fit and hammered them into the holes. No nails at all.

Dale Hatfield

Sikkens makes a great  product. But it dont come cheap.

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Thank You Sponsors!