iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log turning

Started by charles mann, September 10, 2018, 01:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawg Dawg

Yall very creative...but after 7 years running a manual mill, I finally got smart and bought an lt40...hasent let me down yet, and with a little finesse you can turn a big one without marring it up too bad using the claw and 2 plane clamp
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

jb616

Quote from: Hilltop366 on September 11, 2018, 06:58:25 PM
The chain turners I have seen seem to turn the log against the back stops, I'm thinking the backstops will dig into the log or the log will try to climb the backstop which got me to thinking about the V shape and then the wheels.
One idea that I had was to slide a couple longer tubes over the backstops temporarily while turning the log so that it doesn't bite on the top of the stops.  Feasible? 

Peter Drouin

I use two 2" pipe 30" long slip over my back stops for turning ugly/ big logs. :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: jb616 on September 11, 2018, 09:02:57 PM
Quote from: Hilltop366 on September 11, 2018, 06:58:25 PM
The chain turners I have seen seem to turn the log against the back stops, I'm thinking the backstops will dig into the log or the log will try to climb the backstop which got me to thinking about the V shape and then the wheels.
One idea that I had was to slide a couple longer tubes over the backstops temporarily while turning the log so that it doesn't bite on the top of the stops.  Feasible?
Been there done that, I used 2" pvc.  Had to heat it up a little to get it to fit over the stops of the lt15.  Very slick for turning...the pvc
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

moodnacreek

Before I had a log turner I would drive a skid steer right up on the log deck to turn big logs using a swamp hook to grab the log.  Problem was there could only be one log on the deck.

logman 219

charles  what size is a 5000 lbs log?? better yet where the heck do you find them???

charles mann

Quote from: logman 219 on September 12, 2018, 11:06:10 AM
charles  what size is a 5000 lbs log?? better yet where the heck do you find them???
Iv got a pecan that between 2 logs, weighed 12,300 lbs. iv even got the scale tickets for those logs. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

logman 219

iv been sawing hardwood lumber to use in my cabinet shop for 18 years, iv picked up some big logs in that time!! iv never seen a log that size before ! but iam in indiana not tex.

SawyerTed

In July I was contacted by a gentleman wanting a big poplar milled into slabs.  He sent measurement and just for fun I used the Log Weight calculator in the Tool Box.  The log was 12' long and 50" on the small end.  The calculated weight was over 7,500 pounds. 

I had to pass on the job because I don't have any way to deal with a log that size. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

But we always have to be careful and ask questions when folks start giving measurements over the telephone.  It's amazing how many people do not know the difference between diameter and circumference.  :o  I often have to ask; across the end or around the log?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mike_belben

Build a 4 tire roller cradle out of lawn tractor front tires so that it mimics the bed of a rosser head debarker.  Mount them on 4 pedestals.  A single cylinder could press a wedge shape in and out to raise this apparatus under the mill a few inches,  lifting the log or cant so that the log is now on a stationary roller,  kinda like a car on a chassis dyno.  Picture an upside down 4 caster stool for the device.  

Now take your old hank of rope and tie it around the end of your favorite rigging bar/pipe/ cant handle etc.  Make 3 capstan turns around the log with the rope tail and tie it back to the handle. Theres your non-marring mega log turner.  

For those with fixed backstops you could put basic caster up on the top of the posts.. Maybe a drop in sleeve or quick clamp on configuration.  The pineywoods turner with a pneumatic tire option may also assist.  If not for friction any log is happy to turn. Heck they love rolling right down a hill for me whenever i dont want em to.  So, just reduce the friction on your mill bed and backstops. 

Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Like a big filter wrench. 
Praise The Lord

charles mann

Quote from: logman 219 on September 12, 2018, 01:01:03 PM
iv been sawing hardwood lumber to use in my cabinet shop for 18 years, iv picked up some big logs in that time!! iv never seen a log that size before ! but iam in indiana not tex.
On pg 4, 
http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=102281.60
the log suspended from my arch with the dog standing at the back of my trailer is rite close to 3000#, going off what my tractor can lift. The forks will roll back enough to get it off the ground a few inches, but my lift arms will not pick it up any further than what my fork roll will do. 
I do have my arms pinned in the 3000# holes. Will move them to the 3500# holes and see if it ill pick it up via lift arms. 
If it wont, then kubota is full of poo and need to fix their advertisements. 
The log being loaded and the log with my saw dawged into it was the last pecan, which was a live until a few months ago. That is the load i scaled. 
The pecan with my wife standing by it was heavy enough to stretch the D-ring, pictured below the pic with my wife. The ring has a wll of i think 10,000 or 12,000#. An unused ring is pictured beside the stretched ring for comparison to the amount of stretch. 
I upgraded to a wll of 15,000# and no stretching yet. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

never finished

A farm (handy man) jack with a chain, or strap will turn any log. And do it cheap.    

kelLOGg

Quote from: Crusarius on September 10, 2018, 08:42:45 AM
I thought about mounting an electric winch with a hook, then mount it to my carriage just to roll the log. But not sure its a good idea. Especially since I want something to be able to roll logs up the ramps to.
That is exactly what I do in reply #2.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bwstout

I have my shade tree mill set the same with a wench mounted use it to roll up the ramp and to turn works good.

home built mill

kelLOGg

BW.. our systems look similar. It surely saves work but I do walk around the mill a lot. A hydraulic mill would save me a lot of walking time but most times I don't think it would save me a lot of effort. Sometimes I have to slide a big log without rotating it - that's where most of my effort is expended.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bwstout

Yes there is some walking around but I just could not afford hydraulic and it works good. I had pecan log that was 35" x 10' that it took some doing. I had to use my tractor with forks to help the wench roll the log. I only have a 3 ton wench but for most of what I do work good.
home built mill

Magicman

Even with hydraulics, (too) big logs can be a challenge.

Cypress.

After Bibby'ing.

That's it in the background.  :o

Bibby'ed down but still a mouthful.

42" Water Oak.

Bibby'ed down to size.

Turning all of these monsters took both the claw turner and the log clamp working in tandem.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bwstout

My mill see that coming it would try to hid behind the tree ;D that a  big one.
home built mill

Satamax

I have had an idea for log turning. Two trailer hubs perpendicular to the tracks. With some wheels. Side by side. Lifted with a hydraulic car jack.  You make two of those. And you can also power the wheels.  A bit like the v shaped chain log turners. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

mike_belben

Zero turn wheel motors.  They have a load-bearing keyed taper shaft and usually a 5 on 4.5 hub.  often have a brake.  They could be your turner and toe board if hydraulically independant.

Lesco mowers and toro ground master definitely had them.  Probably most fairway mowers.  Very stout.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!