iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winch

Started by coxy, July 05, 2016, 08:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

is the clark winch the same as a Lufkin I have a chance to buy a clark real real cheap hoping that it is and will use the same control as the cat

oldseabee

Can't really answer your question without more information, I don't know how the Lufkin winch operates. Early Clarks had Gearmatic winches,then later on Clark designed it's own winch which operates with clutch packs running in oil instead of bands, getting it's clutch pressures from the transmission. The Clark winch is pretty well respected in the industry and seems to have fewer problems.

coxy

this is the newer clark with clutch packs and runs off tranny looks just like the Lufkin has the little t handle on the side witch I think is the brake drag  we have a 518 cat and want to take the cat winch off and put the Lufkin/clark winch on they both run off the tranny just not shur if the control is the same from the Lufkin/clark to the cat winch

loggah

A friend of mine was going to put a clark winch on a older cat 518,and i think it didnt work because the input shaft turned in the opposite direction, better check that out. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

treeslayer2003

i think it is the same winch but cats had a reverse box on the front like a gearmatic on a clark does. i'd like to see one cuz i would love to put my spare clark winch on my international, which turns the opposite way.

oldseabee

Don't take this for gospel until I research it, but the Clark on the 664/666 has opposite transmission rotation from the 667/668 transmission, I believe one version winch had a drop box, can't remember which.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: oldseabee on July 06, 2016, 02:15:50 PM
Don't take this for gospel until I research it, but the Clark on the 664/666 has opposite transmission rotation from the 667/668 transmission, I believe one version winch had a drop box, can't remember which.
i know the 64/66 turns opposite the engine if that helps.

coxy

trouble is I have no idea nor the seller what skidder it came off all I know is it says clark how could I tell what way it has to turn or witch way its turning now

treeslayer2003

see if you can find a close up of a 518 with a lufkin to see if it has a reverse box on the winch. i can't imagine they made different gears...... 

oldseabee

Both winches are direct drive with no drop box, you will have to check rotation required. You can add a drop box to the Clark with several different parts to the input clutch section, could be costly.
Would require change in mounting to keep the drive line in line.

coxy

do you know witch way they turned clockwise or counter clockwise (clark winch that is  ;D)  thanks for the help

treeslayer2003

if i am understanding seabee right, he is saying they made both cw and ccw winches. but also there are parts for a drop box but expensive.

AlexHart

For what its worth I'm kind of in the process of buying a 518C cable skidder and the winch is (along with a  few other things) getting worked on.   Its a Lufkin but the fellow I'm buying it from refers to it as a "Clark" winch.   

I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject though personally.   Those days are probably in the near future when things start breaking.   That's what usually ends up making me an expert :)   

treeslayer2003

Quote from: AlexHart on July 10, 2016, 06:36:13 PM
For what its worth I'm kind of in the process of buying a 518C cable skidder and the winch is (along with a  few other things) getting worked on.   Its a Lufkin but the fellow I'm buying it from refers to it as a "Clark" winch.   

I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject though personally.   Those days are probably in the near future when things start breaking.   That's what usually ends up making me an expert :)
clark, lufkin= same thing.
pics!

coxy

one more thing the pto shaft coming out of the winch should you be able to turn it by hand  and it is just like the one on the cat there is no box bolted to the winch to make it turn the other way just a shaft with a yoke  so does this mean its a newer clark winch

treeslayer2003

Quote from: coxy on July 14, 2016, 04:02:57 PM
one more thing the pto shaft coming out of the winch should you be able to turn it by hand  and it is just like the one on the cat there is no box bolted to the winch to make it turn the other way just a shaft with a yoke  so does this mean its a newer clark winch
idk what you mean by newer coxy. yes you can spin the shaft by hand cuz there is no pressure from the pump holding the clutch pack. i wish i could help you more.......i have the same question in a way.

treeslayer2003

coxy do have pics? i have three clark winches, we could compare.......though i'm not sure the difference would be visible.

Thank You Sponsors!