iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logrite - Muy Rico!

Started by crtreedude, March 08, 2006, 06:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

I was out with everyone cutting Thursday and looking at a nice Surá that was beening turned into boards. The tree had been hit by lightning a while back so needed to be harvested, it was on a neighbors property.

A short time ago, Hector had picked up the LogRite CantHook (probably thinking - Fred doesn't need this) and sure enough, it was in use.

I stood back and observed a bit, and pretty soon they needed to move a log.  We had a couple of cant hooks there, including the LogRite - which one will they go for? (Okay, I experiment on the guys - what can I say.  ::) )

No surprise ....  someone made a beeline for the Logrite and said, Este es muy rico!

Translated: "This one is very rich" - Translated again - It is very well suited for the job and works really well.

Thanks Pete!

Besides the leverage that you get, one thing they commented was that when you are having to move around logs all day, it is nice to pickup a tool that doesn't feel like it is lighter just to pickup the log!

I think they really like the fact that it doesn't hide like the wooden ones too - the bright color makes it really stand out in the jungle. When there is sawdust flying everywhere, the other ones tend to blend in. Another benefit is that in the tropics - most woods eventually rot which can be dangerous when you are heaving on a log with a cant hook. Getting the log almost over and then having the handle snap is not a good experience!
So, how did I end up here anyway?

crtreedude

For you all that love figured wood - look at this:

These are boards we are cutting off around heart rot. The black streaks are normal for Surá when it starts to have defects in the heart as an attempt (I think) to strengthen the trunk.

Sure looks nice. The problem is, it is already sold. You know, it is hard to love wood and been in the lumber business!

Tom

What did you do to get the experimental Magnetic model?   No wonder they don't fall on the ground if you can get them to stick to the logs like that.

Those same black marks appear in Sweet gum and Oak sometimes.  I've heard that it is a bacterial infection causing the stain and I've also heard that it is just mineral stain.  That would be a good thing to research.  I find that my customers think I know it all and will ask me for those kinds of answers.  Having a wood associated business has its responsibilities, you know.  :D :D    I don't dare lie to them.   I figure some of them might know and are testing me.  :D

crtreedude

Sort of like Jeff to those logs of your, eh?

I would think it was bacterial infection. A lot of the wood here has lots of different types of grain, red, green, blue, orange, I swear, a whole rainbow.

These are in logs that are completely healthy, no damage at all.

I guess when you have 2,000 different kinds of trees you have a little bit of variety!

Burlkraft

Fred,

I bought the green hook in the auction. It works great now on the snow, but I'm thinkin' I might have to put her away for the summer and get another one that might stand out a bit more...I'd sure hate to loose a "special edition" ;D ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Fla._Deadheader

Throw it inside that Container and prepare to ship it down. I'll be back in 12 days or so.  ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

I am sure glad that Pete didn't bring one of the really big ones, I might have been expected to use it being more my size.  :-\

Pete J

It's good to hear that you're getting some use out of the "international travel size" cant hook. 

I really wanted to bring a bigger one, but I didn't think it would fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of me. Maybe my next trip down I can fill a box with bigger tools and then live the "checked baggage" dream that all travelers love.

I'm just about ready to come back down. I'm on my last bag of Ssssshhhhh!, don't say it too loud, "Brit" coffee and my bottle of Costa Rican Centanario Rum is almost gone. (I had help from friends!)  Now if I can just convince my wife that it's a necessary re-supply trip............. Yea that's it!

Part_Timer

I just recieved my Arky Super Stick in the mail yesterday.  That is one big hook. I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks Kevin.

Oh yah, my daughter says thanks for the hat.

tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

crtreedude

Sheesh Pete - Janet is going to kill you for drinking that stuff!

You are just trying to get back here, aren't you? This time you are going to have to come spend time with boring ole us instead of running to the beaches.

We can make your time exciting - just ask Harold - after all, fishing in snake infested waters at night with google and spear is about as exciting as a person could wish!

Thank You Sponsors!