iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scrolling Through Christmas

Started by DWyatt, December 17, 2018, 01:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWyatt

This year I decided to do a couple simple scroll saw pieces as gifts. I got the first of done last night. I was commissioned to make this by my girlfriend who will give it to a teacher she works with. My "Project Wood" just so happened to be spalted maple cutoffs from The bed I made myself. I believe she will be painting a lot of the sign, mainly the apple and the pencils that make up the "V" but I'm trying to talk her into leaving one of the letters without paint!

Wednesday I will be working on the gift for my parents, It will be an anchor with our last name initial to hang on the front porch of the house they are building up on Lake Erie. Stay tuned

Crusarius

did you use a spiral blade on the scroll saw? My wife is doing something similar and the spalted maple was so hard she switched to spruce I had cut over the summer.

Of course she found a hard spot in the spruce as well. :)

DWyatt

I have never used the spiral blades, I have seen them before but just never took the time to try them. I typically use #9 &#12 for all my work, I'll snap a picture of the pack tonight. 

The project for mom and dad will be 3/4" quarter sawn white oak, same blades.

DWyatt

Cherry is the way to go for me for scroll work because it has such a tight grain, I can get very intricate and not break stuff :)

Crusarius

DWyatt

DWyatt

Quote from: Crusarius on December 17, 2018, 04:03:17 PM
did you use a spiral blade on the scroll saw? My wife is doing something similar and the spalted maple was so hard she switched to spruce I had cut over the summer.

Of course she found a hard spot in the spruce as well. :)
Here's the blades I stick with for almost everything I do.

And a misc picture of our scroll saw. Dad got a deal on this Hawk with a 24" throat depth at an auction because nobody knew what they were bidding on and now I've adopted it because he just ends up mad whenever he uses it because he just breaks blades. Oh and my never ending project for myself, a fancy frame for my college diploma with a bunch of scroll work. Told my boss I wouldn't hang my diploma in some junk frame from Walmart, and I would make a better one..........that was 2 and a half years ago :D

jimbarry

Once you use spiral, you won't look back. 

curved-wood

Jimbarry : the kids must love your bike. 

DWyatt

Crusarius

my wife is hit or miss on the spirals. they are great for detail work but getting them to stay and keeping them from breaking is quite challenging.

Any pointers to get them in and to stay easier? She seems to spend more time with that than actually cutting.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WLC

That bike is an awesome piece of work!! But, I really love those maps.  You just made me spend more money, I see a scrollsaw in my future.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

DWyatt

Quote from: Crusarius on December 19, 2018, 07:25:20 AM
my wife is hit or miss on the spirals. they are great for detail work but getting them to stay and keeping them from breaking is quite challenging.

Any pointers to get them in and to stay easier? She seems to spend more time with that than actually cutting.
If your scroll saw uses "straight shank" blades like ours, or whatever they refer to them as, my solution to the blades always coming lose and breaking is to use a bigger wrench on the thumb screws :D

jimbarry

Glad you like the bike. it was a prototype we built. If you are interested in seeing the buil dprocess, there's a long post on our web site about it https://woodchuckcanuck.com/2016/09/17/motorcycle-rocker-prototype-woodworking-plans/

As for keeping the spiral blades, I tighten them just like a regular blade. Tension shouldn't be too tight. If I was cutting 3/8" softwood, I allow for 1/8" deflection.  Tension and mounting is really dependent on the type of mounting system. On that wall mural map I made, I thinkI went through about a dozen blades in all. It was 3/4" birch plywood so it was some hard cutting.

On smaller maps made of 3/8" pine or fir, I can typically get through the job with just breaking/wearing out one blade. 

DWyatt

I finally got Mom and Dad's Christmas present all cut out. The QS White Oak proved to be kinda difficult. I think that since the growth rings are almost a 90° to the surface, I was having density variations across the rings that caused fast/slow alternating cutting across the grain. Nevertheless, I am happy with how it turned out. :) Just have to sand some around the edges tonight and it'll be ready to give to them.

Our family Christmas got moved up to tomorrow without my knowledge so they are getting it without a finish for now :D

samandothers

Very nice gift.  I am enjoying this thread.  I have my dad's old Craftsman scroll saw.  I maybe close to my age.  I have never tried to use it for the intended purpose.  Would love to cut out a wooden clock works/gears from wood.  Have some plans and some hard maple.....just not the 'round toit'!

DWyatt

The scroll saw was the first real piece of woodworking machinery that Gramps taught me to use. I must have only been seven or eight years old and he used to draw people's names in "bubble" letters and I would cut them out. Since then I have made hundreds of things, it is truly my happy place at the end of the day. Like many of you, I am happy hose I had people like Gramps to teach me so much more than jusy simple woodworking lessons.

Texas Ranger

My 1950's version, bought at a hardware store in St.Louis and was the first thing my dad said was mine in the shop, I have all of his stuff now.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

caveman

Texas Ranger, I have a scroll saw just like the one you have pictured.  I inherited it from my Granddaddy 27 years ago, after he passed away.  It was the first power tool that he taught me to use in his shop.  I spent a lot of time sitting in front of it.  

My uncle gave a lot of woodworking projects to family members as Christmas gifts this year.  Many of them were made with a scroll saw.  I will try to post pictures of them to this thread soon.  I don't have the patience for some of the more intricate scroll saw projects but I do admire them.
Caveman

caveman

Some of these are ornaments and some are large.

This one is about 18" long.

My youngest daughter selected this one.

As you can probably guess, my Uncle's name is George.  Since he retired several years ago as a high school principal, he spends a lot of time in his woodshop. 

Caveman

samandothers

Dry nice work!  He is a busy man.

Thank You Sponsors!