iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New family member

Started by jim king, October 24, 2011, 11:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

My wife was in the market and found this little guy in abandon and brought him home.  A few days later he is now able to eat well and hold on to her finger.

Marmosets (pronounced /ˈmɑrmɵsɛt/) are the 22 New World monkey species of the genera Callithrix, Cebuella, Callibella, and Mico. All four genera are part of the biological family Callitrichidae. The term marmoset is also used in reference to the Goeldi's Monkey, Callimico goeldii, which is closely related.

Most marmosets are about 20 centimetres (8 in) long. Relative to other monkeys, they show some apparently primitive features: they have claws rather than nails, and tactile hairs on their wrists. They lack wisdom teeth, and their brain layout seems to be relatively primitive. Their body temperature is unusually variable, changing by up to 4 °C (7 °F) in a day.[3] Marmosets are native to South America and have been found in Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay and Peru. [4]

According to recent research, marmosets exhibit germline chimerism, which is not known to occur in nature in any other primate.[5]

Bill Gaiche

That is one small little fellow. Hope he has a good life. bg

asy

He's gorgeous, and lucky to have found a good home.  What's his name???

I'm just wondering, as I'm sure you know more about this than I do (we don't have Marmosets here!), are you at all worried about Zoonoses? My understanding is that Marmosets can carry Herpes, Hepatitis, Toxoplasmosis amongst others.  (Do you have rabies in Peru???)

Can you just keep him if he was found? Do you need a permit or such?  (Here in Australia, if you find wildlife that's injured (or young abandoned) you can only keep them while they are recuperating but are supposed to let National Parks (or WIRES (wildlife information, rescue and education service) know you have it, then it's supposed to be released.

Sorry about all the questions, but I'm interested in how things work in other countries!

asy.
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

jim king

We do have rabies but it is mostly limited to roosting birds and sleeping cattle that can be affected.

As for other diseases we do not have much.  My wife has worked for the last 25 years or so helping abandoned dogs and wild animals.  We are supposed to have a permit but as the Dept of Natural Resources drops animals off for her they have never asked for a permit.

As my wife can get around quite well now and go to the market with the house keeper it is hard to tell what she will come back with next.  This little guy has to be kept warm so she keeps him in her bra.

We have had as many as 200 wild animals of all kinds at a time.

asy

Coooooooooooooool!!!

Thanks for answering, it's always good to learn about how things are done on the other side of the world!

Will you end up keeping him?  You didn't say whether he had a name???

asy...

jim king

Asy:

His name is Matone or Killer in English.  And yes she will keep him and I am afraid that now he will need a couple of friends.

SwampDonkey

:D One thing leads to another. Cute little guy. You'd have to be looking real close to even see something like that in the jungle. Need to knit him some wool clothes. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

asy

Well, say Hi to Matone for me!

And tell him I said THANKS as well!!!  I go to play Trivia on Tuesday nights with a few friends, and, this week, one of the questions was "All monkeys with prehensile tails are found on which continent?".

I immediately said South America. One of the other people on my team said Asia...  When we have different answers within our team we 'argue' the point (give our reasoning) then decide which is right.   :P

She said "Well, I know they have monkeys in Asia..."

I said...  "OK, what about Marmosets, do you agree they have prehensile tails?"  She said "Yes"
I said... "Well, Just yesterday I was having a conversation with someone in Peru about a wild baby marmoset his wife brought home, and, as Peru is in South America...  The answer must be South America".

So she conceeded, and of course, we got the point.    8)

So... THANKS!

and...  SEE??? Never know WHAT you'll learn here!

L.

Thank You Sponsors!