iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price of hardwood pulp or fire wood in your area?

Started by stumper, February 16, 2009, 08:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumper

What is the current price of hard wood pulp and or firewood in your area?  Stumpage, yard and mill price would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Chuck White

There is a crew cutting maple pulp at a friends place and trucking about 80 miles and they are getting $1300.00 for a tractor-trailer load!

I'm not that familiar with it, so I don't know how many cord are on a tractor-trailer load!

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Phorester

NW Virginia; hardwood pulp going for $3 - $4/ton stumpage.  That'd be about $6 - $8 per cord.  Firewood going for $150/cord average delivered price dumped on the ground.  Stacked, add $25 - $50 per cord.

ErikC

There isn't really pulp around here but firewood goes for 150 -200 per cord, delivered and stacked, depending on type and quality. Quite a few guys are cutting firewood trying to get by and the price was dropping a little, not now that there is a some snow.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

Pulp and firewood $110 CDN per cord treelength here, mill delivered price. We have trucking zones here for each mill, the further away the higher the price. Private wood is moved on Forest Products Marketing Board contracts mostly with chain of custody papers from woodlot to mill. Marketing Board pays the truckers their agreed upon trucking rate on receipt of the scale slip. Stumpage $8-15 per metric tonne (2.5 metric tonnes HWD per cord). Some mills separate maple,beech,ash etc from birch species.

As far as trailer loads of wood, depends on weather they have self loader on the trailer. With loader 12 cords, without up to 16 cords.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dsgsr

In my area it's around 125-135 a cord delivered tree length. You can add about 100 for stove length split.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

gunman63

here in northern MN , not to much of a market for hardwood pulp, mostly firewood, stumpage $5-15 cord, 8' firewood  $60-80 delivered, cut and split $160 a full cord

wi woodcutter

I have been selling split ready to use firewood for $275 a full cord plus delivery all winter. I can't cut it fast enough. 8) I was out for a while and they would not take no for an answer. One day when I was out a lady called me and asked me how much? I said $375 for a full cord. She said can you get here today?
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

peter nap

Here, $70.00 for a lairs cord (Pickup truck load) delivered and $125.00 for a full cord.

Most of it is unseasoned, cut in the summer and left until needed than sawed up. Thankfully, I don't have to buy i. I'be gone through 3 cords already.

cheyenne

Firewood here is a ripoff runs from $200 to $500 a cord and your lucky to get 2 face cords, green, soaking wet & covered with ice. I feel sorry for people who can't cut their own like I do. I have a nice base of firewood customers & they can see their wood a year before they get it, all split, stacked & covered. And I get top dollar. $125 pine & hemlock $350 hardwood $400 ash.  8) 8) 8).....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Cntrybo2

QuoteNW Virginia; hardwood pulp going for $3 - $4/ton stumpage.

just to clarify, they sellers are getting $3-$4/ ton from the buyers up there? That is alot stronger than what we are getting down here in "the swamp". Most landowners are only pulling $1 - $2/ ton and we dont know how much longer that will be available now that Stone has filed chapter 11 and is only running one machine out of west point! I heard a rumor the other day that they are looking at only taking wood 3 days a week and only operating on quotas.
"I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongue" - The Lorax

thompsontimber

Around here (western NC, upstate SC) hardwood stumpage averages $6 to 8/Ton (17-23+/cord).  Delivered prices are hovering around $28/Ton (81+ cord), but things are getting real tight real fast, and delivered rates can be expected to fall accordingly.

Cntrybo2

Thompsontimber, it sounds like your markets are closer to what I am dealing with throughout the peninsula and tidewater, Virginia. I know of alot of loggers that are struggling to stay afloat and a handful are cutting timber right now that was purchased back in December where their delivered price equals what they paid but no money is in the bill for hauling or fuel so they are losing money and we all know, you cant keep a business going when your losing money. I really hope these markets bounce back in june!
"I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongue" - The Lorax

Fredh

In eastern Ontario seasoned firewood is running about $100-$125 CDN for a face cord delivered, stacking extra. 3X that for a full/bush cord (4'x4'x8').  Generally all hardwood, maple, oak, etc. Although I often try to convince the 'urban greenies', who just burn for esthetics rather than heat, to use poplar or basswood for nice romantic fire, but don't get many takers.
fred

eamassey

Hardwood pulp---
I just sold 64 loads (average 27.8 ton per load) of hardwood pulp at $15 per ton.  The last two loads were hauled out yesterday.  This was really poor timber in my opinion--- timber that was saved only because I couldn't get to it to push it down/pile/burn.   Hickory, sweet gum, post oak, white oak, red oak, river beech, hackberry----mostly 10-12 inches at the stump.
However, the timber man I dealt with told me just today that the price had dropped by $2 to $3 per ton.  This is "stumpage".  Also, this logging outfit is currently picking all the tops and chipping them in place-- I do not get any pay out of this, but do like not having the mess left on the ground.  Looks like they will get 15 or so loads of chips--the chips, they say, are not useful for paper pulp, as there is no way to remove or separate the bark.   They say the chips are going for "hog fuel".  One of the local mills has a electric generation plant fueled by sawmill/planer wastes -- and supplemented by "hog fuel" chips.

Other recent quoted prices to me:  pine pulpwood-- $8. per ton.  Pine logs-- $25 to $30 per ton.   Harwood logs-- $30 to $35 per ton.  One bright spot--power poles -- $70 per ton.

timberfaller390

Hardwood pulp-$13.50 a ton
pine pulp -$14.45 a ton
That is what the log yards will pay cut and delivered to them.
Brite spots are White oak stave logs -$65.00 a ton
ERC-$38.00 a ton
Walnut saw logs $900.00 a thousand but any good saw logs go to my mill so the log yard gets mostly pulp and the small cedar off of my logging jobs.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Phorester

"Quote
NW Virginia; hardwood pulp going for $3 - $4/ton stumpage.

just to clarify, they sellers are getting $3-$4/ ton from the buyers up there? That is alot stronger than what we are getting down here in "the swamp". Most landowners are only pulling $1 - $2/ ton and we dont know how much longer that will be available now that Stone has filed chapter 11 and is only running one machine out of west point! I heard a rumor the other day that they are looking at only taking wood 3 days a week and only operating on quotas."

Yep, $3 - $4/ ton stumpage for landowners for hardwood pulp.  We've got different markets here, namely the NewPage mill at Luke Md (used to be WestVaco) with a hauling distance of 40 - 60 miles.

The-Burl-Hunter

who buys pulpwood, and is boxelder considered a pulpwood? thanks

cheyenne

At $3.00 to $4.00 a ton that's a log 20" in dia. X 15' long. Anybody see a problem here. Who's robbing who....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Phorester

I'm talking pulpwood, not sawtimber.  Here pulpwood is bought by weight.  Conversion factor is one cord of hardwood pulpwood weighs 4,600lbs.; pine, 4,200lbs.  So one ton is a hair under 1/2 of a cord.

BURLHUNTER, pulpwood is bought by paper companies.  Any tree species can be used for pulpwood except black walnut (too dark for the chemicals to bleach it out to make white paper).  Here boxelder is a small crooked tree and indeed only has commercial value for pulpwood.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Overhere for Dry Box/Ironbark firewood I get $175 per ton or about $350 a cord 8/9 ton bulk wholesale loads into melbourne about 60 mi away  ;D i only do about 100 to 150 ton a year  ;) ;D out of my log ends  ;) Im also giving some thought to knocking out some 40lb baged Bulk kindling out of my pine mill trash that works out at around the $600 bucks a cord but theres ahell of alot of work involved in docking spliting and baging  :o ::)

Pulp Around here runns at around the H/w $77 per ton & Pine $35 to $50 del Geelong depending on the Export Market  ;)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Ironmower

I'm about 45 minutes from ya Phorester, and I sell my seasoned firewood for $100.00 full cord not delivered. delivery fees vary, I mostly just sell "local" with in 15 miles. mostly red,white&pin oaks,hickory,ash,elm And allya my favorite locust. My friends tell me I outta take to the city (baltimore or D.C). But I'm not lookin' too do that. I've got a few steady customers witch is almost more than I can handle. This year so far I've sold roughly 30 or more cords, and since my splitter "walked" off I'm back to my hand made 18lb. maul.
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

SwampDonkey

Boxelder isn't taken here, I don't know exactly where it would fit in for pulp. It's closer to aspen than hardwood or birch. Maybe a few sticks buried in the aspen pile would sell, don't know. It's not a native tree here in New Brunswick but has naturalized along the river valleys and every town here has it in the streets as well as many country homes. It won't grow in our native forests too well, but will sprout up on abandoned fields and forest edges as a successional species. Some trees get huge on the but, 3-4 feet here, but no height to brag about, maybe 60 feet, mostly less. Terrible limby, and most everyone likes to lean hard.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thompsontimber

Quote from: Cntrybo2 on February 17, 2009, 12:44:56 AM
sounds like your markets are closer to what I am dealing with throughout the peninsula and tidewater, Virginia. I know of alot of loggers that are struggling to stay afloat and a handful are cutting timber right now that was purchased back in December where their delivered price equals what they paid but no money is in the bill for hauling or fuel so they are losing money and we all know, you cant keep a business going when your losing money. /quote]

You are exactly right about that, and things are getting worse here with each passing week.  Hardwood pulp was our only moving product, and now all mills are on quota and prices are falling.  Delivered price at my primary mill will be $26/ton next week, already down to 24/ton at the IP mill.  Most everyone has more in their stumpage than they can afford to cut the timber for, especially on the hardwood sawtimber side.  It was very competitive in the summer and stumpage prices were staying high, so anything that was bought for winter work was overpaid.  I've seen an an average drop on delivered prices of hardwood sawtimber of $200/MBF.  There are pine pulp mills that have dropped delivered prices to $14-$15/ton and still won't take any.  That leaves nothing for stumpage, folks would break even or go in the hole if the wood was free.  Pine logs dropped another $4/ton 2 weeks ago, and now the hardwood pulp is heading south fast.  I'm anxious to see June too!  Hopefully will still be in business then to see if things improve any at all.

Thank You Sponsors!