iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

High Limb removal

Started by beenthere, August 03, 2006, 07:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Came home this afternoon to find a 7" hickory limb hanging down, apparently loaded down with nuts and maybe broken in last week's wind. Break was up about 30' high, which was too high to reach on a ladder and I don't do the 'Chet' and 'Kevin' climbing tricks. 

So I got out the 12 ga shotgun and a box of slugs and some No. 8 shot shells. Laid in a few rounds of the slugs, with splinters flying everywhere, and a couple No 8 shot. Saw some progress.

I lassoo'd the end branches with a rope and pulled it tight to see where it was still holding.

I could tell there wasn't much left so I placed a couple more No 8 shots at this location, before giving it another tug.

I was concerned the limb would fall, stand on it's upper branches and the limb would fall against the house.  After breaking it loose with a final tug, and pulling the top quickly away from the base of the tree, all fell according to plan.

Now, after a dozen shotgun blasts, my shoulder really feels the abuse of aiming almost straight up into the tree.  ;D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mike_Barcaskey

sorry beenthere, but that's really stupid
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Don P

I saw the title and thought you might be asking advice. I was going to tell you how we used to get mistletoe. You done figgered it out, good shootin  ;D.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rebocardo

You know, this is EXACTLY the reason you need to own a Barrett .50 MG. All it would have taken was one or two rounds of HE to do the same job.   :D

pigman

You could have just cut the whole tree down. Then it would have been easy to remove the broken limb. ;) Or even better, get a lot bigger tractor. 8) A person only needs a small reason to get a big new toy. ;D
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

beenthere

I must have insulted Mike's profession. 
Sorry if I did, but this limb needed to be dislodged right away, and in 5 minutes, I had it down and not dangling over my drive.

I will take off the entire limb in a "professional" way with a nice clean cut when I have time. In the meantime, the 'blasted-off' limb stub left in the tree will just have to fend for itself and may even decay some, but will never heal over.  :o  There is still a split limb right beside the one I removed.

As for the lead flying, there are no houses or buildings for at least a mile in that direction to the East.

As for the sore shoulder, that is getting better be the minute. May be black and blue tomorrow though.

Puzzles me what was "stupid" about it.  Bro-noble has stupid cows. I wonder if he knows what was stupid.  ???

Mike.  What gives?  ::) ???

As for the rope pull, this was a lawn tractor and the rope wasn't stretched. Actually a single pull in two directions brought the limb down as planned.
south central Wisconsin

Woodwalker

Some years ago when I was younger I made a living climbing and trimming trees. Wouldn't have given a second thought to climbing and taking out a limb.
I'm a lot older now and I've used tripple ought buck in a 12ga. to trim limbs back from a TV antenna.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Jeff

I sure dont see whats so stupid about it either. Probably no more stupid then me using the bow and arrow to shoot lines over high limbs for hoisting Christmas Stars. Probably no more stupid then Me giving Tom Stacy's air soft pistol today to shoot at ducks in our swimming pool. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Been there,
I can understand how you came up with your solution.  My sons and I used to shoot down mistletoe, with 22 shorts,  for them to take to school.  It was a lot of fun.  Course 22's don't bruise shoulders.  :)

Norm

Geezzzz beenthere what's next.....silos. ;D

Max sawdust

Quote from: Jeff B on August 03, 2006, 10:55:54 PM
Probably no more stupid then me using the bow and arrow to shoot lines over high limbs for hoisting Christmas Stars.. ;D

Hey I thought I was the only one with the bow and arrow with a string trick :D :D

Beenthere,   
I would not call it stupid, just a little odd ;)
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Mike_Barcaskey

stupid being a broad term to cover a couple of issues
I think it's irresponsible to be shooting slugs up in the air like that. Miss the branch, how far is the slug going to go and where is it going to come down.
I think it is a waste of shotgun shells.
And it is poor tree care.

I in no way think you insulted "my profession". not even on my radar.
It's just not the healthiest thing for the tree. How many other wounds did you make that are now potential entry points for pathogens? And soneone still has to climb up there to cut the stub off at the branch collar.

And while I do think it is stupid, I'm not the All Powerful And Benevolent Ruler Of The Universe, so shoot away   ;D

Jeff

Generally us midwest or Lake state boys with guns are hunters. We are well aware of the power of the guns we use, the range they have and the consequences resulting from pulling the trigger. Having said that, many of us shoot in the air often with shot guns. Birds fly. Squirrels climb. Clay pigeons soar.  Shooting at a tree or something in a tree is a rather common occurance. Its not only common its fun and for us, not stupid or dangerous as we know what we are doing. We are responsible enough to know what lies beyond our shot and give it forthought. Shooting with a high powered rifle might be a little over kill, probably why beenthere chose to use a short range weapon. 

Come on Mike, what really up?  Its unlike you to second guess yer forum buddies. Fill the car with gas and take off for Michigan and the pig roast. I'll let ya shoot at ducks in our swimming pool. It does a body good.

Burlkraft

Hey Jeff,

Want some more ducks for the pool ??? ??? ???

We're just packin' up gettin' ready to leave........I got a couple I could bring ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Mike_Barcaskey

Quote from: Jeff B on August 04, 2006, 09:45:36 AM
Come on Mike, what really up?  Its unlike you to second guess yer forum buddies. Fill the car with gas and take off for Michigan and the pig roast. I'll let ya shoot at ducks in our swimming pool. It does a body good.

sigh, it's just not the correct way to do it. sorry, I should keep my trap shut.

I'd love to come out, no time or money to do so.

beenthere

I'll accept Mike's concern for my actions.  But did consider them when coming to the conclusion that I was going to use up the old deer slugs that were just sitting on the back shelf (no longer use that old gun for deer hunting, as now I have a rifled-barrelled slug gun with a scope that is as accurate at 100 yards as my .308 rifles). The immediacy of the situation was expecting the UPS truck to drive in any moment with a delivery, and he would be stopping right under where that tree limb hung in the tree. By the looks of it, I thought at first it was hanging just by a few wood fibers and didn't even walk under it. I considered a ladder, but my 24' extension wouldn't reach the limb and I don't like cutting limbs that size standing on a ladder. The thing I don't like is not knowing where the stub will land after it is cut off, as it usually aims for the ladder from my previous episodes. Then I even considered briefly putting the ladder in the bucket on my loader tractor and raising it up to reach the limb, but I did a 'stupid' trick like that when I painted the side of a 50' barn when I was 16 and only had a 40' extension ladder inside a bucket on a small farm tractor (worked great until the ladder came down the side of the barn with me riding it down). Dropped that stupid idea.  :)  

Now, I'm jealous of those who are making it to the 'roast' of beenthere. Not planned, but it was expected, is a funeral that I need to attend at 2 pm tomorrow afternoon. My mind will wander to the fun you all are having, and I won't even be able to watch the webcam.  Going to be painful, for sure, for sure.
Considered the 'wound' to the tree, but that damage was already done, with the limb split horizontaly, along with a limb still remaining that is also broken. Being a shagbark hickory, they are not as prone to the tree suffering from transported disease through entry points like the red oaks are with oak wilt. It looks bad, but this tree will get a proper pruning when cool weather prevails.
As to using the shotgun and have bullets flying, as mentioned there are no houses within range, even if I had missed the limb. The heavy slugs do not go very far. Now if I was in town, it'd be a different story.
Considered making a pole saw long enough to reach with a 24' length of 1x2 redwood that I have under the deck and bolting a tree saw blade to the end of it. Figured I'd just get it pinched in the cut, but did give it serious consideration before continuing with the shotgun approach.
Thought about the great Silo Shoot, but didn't see near the fun or dramatics in what I was doing.
But never considered it 'stupid' or irresponsible or poor tree care, although my criteria for such are admittedly not at the same level of refinement or standards of others.  ;D
No hard feelings to Mike for pointing out where I might have gone astray (hey, it even crossed my mind to hire the tree arborist brother of my nearest neighbor to drop by with his boom truck and for a couple hundred, trim that tree - nah - I'd settle for Pigman's method of cutting it off at the ground before doing that, but I like this tree. It is a producer of some of the best quality hickory nuts of the 50 or so hickory trees I have on the premise).
south central Wisconsin

Mike_Barcaskey

ifn I was rich with lots of time, I'd come out and prune it (without spurs) for a couple of beers,
unfortunatley, I aint
please don't use the word refinement around me, I work real hard to keep some rough edges  :D
on the other hand pruning with a shotgun is just too redneck  ::)

funny thing is, over on Arboristsite, I'd probably be argueing for your side

PineNut

Quote from: Max sawdust on August 04, 2006, 07:56:03 AM

Hey I thought I was the only one with the bow and arrow with a string trick :D :D

Never used a bow and arrow but I have used a sling shot and string.  It works for me.

TeaW

Beenthere, thanks for the great post and pictures . That is why I come to this site to learn different way's to get things done,
TeaW

thurlow

I would guess that out of the 'who knows how many thousands of rounds' I've fired, the third highest number would have been into/at trees.  First highest would have wound up on or in the earth;  Second would be into the air (included in the first highest);  Also a few into living creatures.  I see no problem shooting into a tree, if you know what you're doing.  We won't talk about the .45 round I accidently discharged in the BN XO's office many, many moons ago and how many times it ricocheted around the room ;D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

rebocardo

> And it is poor tree care.

Yes ... maybe ... though it looked fun  :D   I think it was a post that someone should not take too seriously  ;)

> how far is the slug going to go and where is it going to come down.

It was shot, shot straight up. It is going to come down 100 or so feet away and when it does, you would be lucky if it made it through a well built cardboard box. I do not think you can make it through a winter coat at 150 fee,t even if you tried, with shot. Though the results would be much different at 30 feet.

Ever see that episode of MythBusters about shooting up in the air?

> Hey I thought I was the only one with the bow and arrow with a string trick

I used a dog trainer before (slingshot for tennis balls) with a 5/16 or 3/8 shackle before I got my BIG SHOT.

FWIW: I would take a dangerous branch down with a shotgun over my driveway in 1/2 an hour then wait a day for someone else to take it down.

Dangerous would have been what Red Green would have done. Throw an electrical cord up there, pull the socket end down, DUCT TAPE the handle -ON- for an electric chain saw, and use the cord to pull the chain saw up there and position it up and down for the cutting  :D

Don P

I dunno, I prefer " Crimson Knaped"  :D :D

Woodwalker

I had a pole buddy that worked for a REA CoOP several years ago. He told me that during ice storms the CoOp would furnish shotguns and shells to the service men that would shoot and break the ice laden limbs that bridge the conductors causing the outages. A lot easier and quicker than cutting em.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

barbender

I had an aspen I was falling hang up in the crotch of a birch, and I couldn't even pull that thing down with the skidder. So after wrestling it for quite a while, I finally got out my twelve guage, full choke and some 3" mag steel shot. Took about 5 or 6 shots if I remember right, took it right down. Sure was a lot safer than trying to cut that birch down with the other tree hung on it.  So Beenthere, I guess I'm saying I'm all for your method ;)
Too many irons in the fire

jkj

I laughed when I  read this thread.

I had a 6" or so hickory limb about 25' long break in a storm and and the entire limb with leaves was hanging down, the bottom maybe 15 ft from the ground, near the driveway but not close to the house.   No way I was going to climb and trim.  Hitting it with numerous slugs and shot didn't help.  Snagged it with a rope and pulled with the tractor - broke the rope.  That hickory is tough stuff.  I finally gave up and it hung there for almost a year.

One day during a strong wind I was down at the barn and heard something coming down - looked up the hill just in time to see the thing hit the ground!  Yes, finally!  When I got up the hill the limb was certainly down, but DanGnabbit, in coming down it had torn lose ANOTHER one about the same size!  That one has been hanging since early spring.  I wish I could cross a squirrell with a beaver and send him up the tree so I could park my truck over there again.  :)

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

beenthere

The entire limb is off now, with an arboristically-sensitive procedure close to the trunk (left the gun in the case). More daylight than I am used to but I will adapt over time.  :)

south central Wisconsin

getoverit

I've always thought of myself as a "redneck", and I take no offense to being called one. To me, it's a compliment when I can get a job done without spending a lot of time or money (which are the same thing when you are self employed).  If I call someone a "redneck" it is a compliment and should be taken as one.

I have shot down tree limbs many a time, and Like you I am always aware of where the bullet or slug might land. Shotguns are VERY limited range weapons, even with slugs. This is why the airports are willing to let them be used to clear deer from airport lands.

My favorite de-limbing device is a 30-06 though....:D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

beenthere

My youngest son's comment when I mailed him a photo was

You shot a branch out of the tree with your shot gun........that's
priceless!!  You don't get much more redneck than that!

Hope it does not stress the tree too much.  That's a nice tree.

I took it as a compliment too   ;D    ...and will do my best to save the tree.
south central Wisconsin

brdmkr

Foresters shoot the tops out of trees all the time for grafting.  They tend to use .22s.  Those little bullets likely carry much farther than the slugs or shot.  Glad to see that you got everything cleaned up.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Max sawdust

Sorry I still find shooting trees to be unusual :-\  It just seems like such a desperate last resort to a problem :-\
I guess I can justify it with my farmboy gun philosophy: Don't waste a bullet unless you can eat it, or if it was going to kill you.  (I figure Beenthere's limb fell into the going to kill you category)  ;)
Also a good ol' boy attitiude of do what ever it takes to get the job done  makes it OK too  ;)

I am just surprised at how much this seems to happen, especially on a Forestry Forum  ::)
This could be an interesting poll ;D

1. I never thought of shooting a tree
2. I thought of shooting a tree but abstained (That one is my vote :D)
3. I shot a tree but only once
4. I shoot trees on occasion
5. I shoot trees regularly

:D :D :D :D :D

Sorry Just can not help having fun with this.  Beenthere, looks like a nice job getting that limb removed.
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Burlkraft

I've shot cherry trees before.......Bullets make nice burls in a few years ;D ;D ;D

Tom

Just before I left for the pigroast, I tore up a brand new blade when I hit a jacketed bullet in the butt of the log.  It tore about 15 teeth right off of the band and I had just put it on.  Probably cut two or three cuts.   Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it.  Then you reach in your wallet for another $25 bill,

Burlkraft

I meant to say Lead Bulletts ;D ;D ;D

Tom

I 'spect that works better.  :D

Patty

Quote from: Burlkraft on August 11, 2006, 01:15:06 PM
I've shot cherry trees before.......Bullets make nice burls in a few years ;D ;D ;D

Is this really true, or are you just kidding?  ???     Inquiring minds need to know!  :P
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Don P

Hide your cherries, the Iowa gun totin society is fixin to have another barn razing  :o :D

beenthere

Patty
I think he is serious.....'splained it to me how he found a cherry burl, and it had some lead inside. So he aimed at a few trees to 'make' him some cherry burls. Time will tell, and Burlkraft may even tell too.  :)
south central Wisconsin

Patty

Quote from: Don P on August 14, 2006, 08:32:20 PM
Hide your cherries, the Iowa gun totin society is fixin to have another barn razing  :o :D

:D  Look out!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

mike_van

I used to shoot a few trees, not for limb removal though - Never thought of that - But hey, it worked for you - I used to do 25 acres of corn to pick, small lots, 2 acres here, 3 there - The coons would trash that corn so bad by late fall, you had to shoot some early, or you'd be buying corn. We would take a .22 with a scope, and a 20 ga. with #2 or buckshot. Sometimes the coon would tree in one so leafy you couldn't see the eyes,  one or two shots from the shotgun made them look - worked well several times. The hides were no good that early, but, it was hides or corn.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Mr Mom

The only time that i shoot trees is durning deer season ::) ::) ::).

Thanks Alot Mr Mom.

Ron Scott

I've shot thousands of trees, but with a "paint gun". ;)
~Ron

ShaneG

I know I'm coming in real late to this discussion but I remember seeing some documentary on the discovery channel or the like and foresters using high power rifles to shoot limbs out of the tops of trees for study purposes.

Kevin

Quotecross a squirrell with a beaver

That's already been done.

...porcupine

LOGDOG

I'm just seeing this thread for the first time. I have to admit I've done the same thing. I usually prefer a load of shot through a turkey choke. It's also been one of my favorite ways to remove treestands that trespassers hang or build on my property. Something about them finding their stand at the base of the tree opening morning in splinters makes me grin. I always make sure they're completely down though so no one can climb into them and get hurt and sue me. ;)

But the craziest thing I've ever done with hunting equipment to accomplish a long reach was back when I was about 16. I was working at the grocery/general merchandise store that my dad managed. Turns out they needed to run coaxial cable or something from the front of the store to the back. The store had a sloping ceiling. Probably about 30 feet high at the front of the store and about half that at the back. At the front there was a stair case that went up to the second story offices. From the landing on the stair case you could look over the whole store. The ceiling had ceiling tiles that could be removed. Above the ceiling tiles were roof trusses with the traditional crossmembers that trusses have. They had intended to have a guy in a lift come in and remove the tiles one by one to chase the cable from the front of the store to the back. I jokingly said that I could bring my bow in with my Game Tracker string and send one through the ceiling then they could just tie the cable on to the end of the string and pull it through. Well they looked at me and said, "Could you?!?!"
So sure enough, they put me up on the second story landing and pulled a ceiling tile out ahead of me. I had to stand on a 5 gallong bucket to get enough elevation to be able to see down through the ceiling. We had picked a spot out in the back that I needed to hit. It was during business hours but we cleared the isles to the sides of the shooting lane. The shot was 67 yards. I nailed it dead center the first time and the string from the Game Tracker worked like a dream. They pulled the cable in about 5 minutes time. Probably the best shot I ever made with my bow given the obstacles and distance.

By the way, I did see the other night that they sell a type of saw that looks like it employs a long rope with a chainsaw chain in the middle that you throw an end over and then saw back and forth with the two ends of the rope for limb removal. May be a good alternative for someone looking for one.  :)

Max sawdust

Cool story LOGDOG, a practical way to get the job done ;)  So have you ever hung Christmas lights high in a tree with the bow :)
Until this forum I thought I was the only one to do crazy things with hunting equipment. :D

Though I still find it "odd" to shoot a tree in order to remove a limb :-X :D
max
True Timbers

dewwood

Lots of interesting information.  I just wanted to add that my son spent his summer doing research on Forest Service property in northern MN and at the end of the summer when he needed to collect many limb and leaf samples they brought in a guy with a shotgun to shoot down the samples for him to take back to the lab for analysis.  They said it was the fastest and most economical way to do it.  I think he said they got a few hundred samples but had to do it in two stints as the shooters shoulder got a little sore.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Raphael

Quote from: Mr Mom on August 15, 2006, 08:05:17 AM
     The only time that i shoot trees is durning deer season ::) ::) ::).

I've made that shot.  :D

Can't say that I've used a shotgun for limb removal but a fully choked 12ga. will certainly do a number on white face hornet nests.  Always good to have a vehicle or house around to duck into after making the shot, some folks get mighty sore about being evicted.  ;)
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

crtreedude

Many moons (okay, years) ago I was up in a tree stand with a bow. I had a perfectly clear shooting lane, except for a small tree with a diameter of no more than 1 inch in front of me. Great place. I of course kept looking at the little tree to remember where it was so I would avoid it if a deer came by.

Sure enough, about 30 minutes before sundown, a deer came into the shooting lane. I pulled back for a perfect shot and let fly. The deer just looked at me and then ran off. After waiting 15 minutes - I got off the stand and went to look for blood.

No blood. I couldn't believe I missed, but I looked and looked and still, no blood.

Well, the next day I came back looking for the arrow - I am sure you know where it was - I speared that little tree dead center.

I couldn't have done it if I tried...  :-\
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Ron Scott

One quickly finds what limb they should have removed in a shooting lane. I've experienced the same thing. :( That's one for the deer. :-[
~Ron

SAW MILLER

I know this isn't a high limb story but logdog's story reminded me of it.
         My old boss was installing ductwork in a crawl space and one area was too tight to crawl in.they were trying to figure out how to get the flex duct from point A to point B when in walked the owners little ankle biter doggy.
   They tied a string to ol pootch and stuffed him under the house and closed the hatch and then went over to the registar hole and called to him.Than they had a string to pull the duct.
    Later while  working on a sewer main we ran a remote control car to pull a string through a 12 inch sewer to pull a tool called a pig through the pipe.We were amazed the singnal picked up through the soil.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

jkj

Quote from: LOGDOG on September 11, 2006, 08:09:40 PM
I jokingly said that I could bring my bow in with my Game Tracker string and send one through the ceiling...

We've used a slingshot and a fishing reel for cables - a spinning reel with the flip-up bail works best.  Tie a 1/4" or so steel nut to the fishing line and launch with the slingshot.  I learned this trick from a buddy who installed security systems.   In addition to running cables between joists and other spaces, I also used this method to put a steel cable over a 50' high hickory limb to make a swing.

Quote from: LOGDOG on September 11, 2006, 08:09:40 PM
...they sell a type of saw that looks like it employs a long rope with a chainsaw chain in the middle that you throw an end over and then saw back and forth with the two ends of the rope for limb removal.

As for the rope saw, I've had a couple of these and they do work but usually found them difficult to use and very time consuming to cut anything other than a small limb.  For a high limb removal, getting the saw over the limb and orientated properly (with the cutting edge towards the limb!) might be a challange, even using the bow or slingshot method.

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

Bill Johnson

Back it the mid 70's early 80's we used to use high-powered rifles (30-06, 308, 30-30) to shoot the tops off white and black spruce trees that exhibited exceptional growing characteristics.

We had tried 12 gauges and slugs but they just didn't have the same effect as a high powered round on 4-5 inch diameter stem.

Typically what we would do was select the candidate trees in summer or fall, meaure height, diameter, age, vigour etc. and those that were acceptable we'd go back in January or Feb. and shoot the tops.

Black spruce yielded cones for progeny, provinance or seed orchards while white spruce yield scions for seed orchard establishment. 

One thing to bear in mind though where we were doing this there was absolutely no one around for miles.
Bill

D Martin

All this talk about guns n arrows makes me want to bow hunting. Lake an midwest boys arent the only gun toting "rednecks" out here. NH archery season just opend friday and there are quite a few hickory where I hunt, I didnt think deer ate them.  What do you do with em

farmerdoug

Tom,  You said you hit a jacketed bullet and took out several teeth on a blade.  Was that a steel jacketed bullet?  I would think a copper jacketed bullet would not do so much damage. ???

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Gary_C

How did this get brought up from the dead threads.  ???
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

bull

Hey are you guys to blame for all the DANG Hardware and lead  Ive been sawing Lately........   
Forestry Forums "Team Hardware" keeping the blade guys in buisness !!!  The sponsors thankyou !! Two Starrett rounds from black powder shot into log pile on landing was my favorite....  Brand new blades w/ no teeth left  "Way Cool"  12 gauge lead slugs aren't to bad on the blade !!!! copper and brass jackets are great too !!!!

beenthere

;D ;D
Don't think so, but mine was all lead. :)

Are the steel jacketed for armor piercing?  Seems all my hunting bullets have been copper jackets.
south central Wisconsin

snowman

A neighbor of mine from Australia once said to me, "you Americans think every problem can be solved with a gun, the bigger the problem the bigger the gun" guess he was right :D

farmerdoug

Alot of the imported foreign military full metal jacket ammo has a copper plated steel jacket.  Heck, alot of it has a steel shell casings too.

I was asking because I was thinking that the copper jacketed bullet would not destroy a blade maybe dull it faster though.  There is alot of solid copper shotgun slugs used now too.  I wonder what kind of damage that will do to a blade?

When I started huinting I was good at killing trees too.  I would shoot at a deer and then sit there wondering how I missed. ???  A few seconds later a small tree would fall over. ::) :D :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

rebocardo

> Are the steel jacketed for armor piercing

I do not think so, I think it is steel jacketed because it is against international law to use deformable bullets (lead - dumdum - etc.) to cause further or greater harm. Hence, a full metal jacket. Though I heard during WWII many soliders would X their lead slugs.

gary

I took this limb down with my shotgun. I had about 30 shells that were getting old . It took 28 of them to get it down.

Dale Hatfield

I have often heard of loggers using the same practice of shooting into the tops of high quality trees. Ya know the ones that are  worth a bunch and no place to lay em flat, or they have so much lean into a fork ,that if felled all that would be  left was toothpicks .Never seen it myself or know if they had any luck.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

rebocardo

That must have been fun, I bet the squirrels probably had heart attacks.

limbrat

I hunt squirrels with a 22 they will lay down on the limb to hide when they know your there. If there on a small limb i have often shot the limb right under there head. The concustion will sometime knock them senseless and out of the tree. They hit the ground out like a light without a mark on them if you dont do something then they wake up grouchy.
ben

theorm

Limbrat,

Wouldn't it be ironic, you creating grouchy limbrats???????????? 8)
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

Jeff

We're planning on taking what we learned from beenthere's school of high limb removal and going after this one later this month. Its hanging right over the trail to Pete's deer blind and probably over 70ft up. These are some B I G aspen. I'll try to record the de-limbage. :) Actually in this case it's am entire top. We're thinking a combo of 12 gauge slugs amd 300 Winchester magnums should be appropriate.

chet

Judgin' by yur pics, I'm think'un yer gonna need a whole lot of ammo.  ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Norm

Kevin

That's a little limb locked isn't it?  :D

Jeff

I dont think its as limb locked as the photos make it look.  The top is still attached by a small strap.  I think (think) thaat if we sever that, the top will swing off of the trunk and the sheer weight of it will bring it down.  If not, We get to shoot the guns and clrar a new loop for the trail and avoid that trail until it comes down on its own.  :)

rebocardo

I bet if you have a Bigshot slingshot you could get a string and then steel cable up there to pull it out of the tree with a 4x4. Looks like an easy shot and pull down would be easy if you did it from the other side of the tree from which the picture was taken.

Kevin

Jeff

chet

Too bad I ain't got time ta git over dat way.  :-\  'cause I'd be will'in ta bet if you put a box of dem Brewskis under dat hanger it would just fall right otta der.  ;D  I seen it happen more than once.....it's truely amazin'. :D  :D  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Mike_Barcaskey

So Jeff How was your aim?

olyman

ya,inquiring minds want to know!!!!!!!!!!  :D

Jeff

We never got to it, but I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that it aint there when we get back up there this spring. We have had some monstrous windstorms, including the one that almost kept us from coming across the bridge to get home the last time in December. In fact, some of these storms, I would not be surprised if all three of those trees are tipped out of the ground.

Kevin

Where can I pick up my dollar? ;D

Reddog

Quote from: Kevin on March 13, 2009, 06:22:11 PM
Where can I pick up my dollar? ;D

Last week ;)
It is still there just like the picture. See if this winter brings it down.

JayG

I'm glad this thread came up. I just spent my lunch time reading it and laughing so much the guys around  my cube kept saying, "nothings that funny!" They're a bunch of city grouches! :D

tughill

I have to say from the ethical perspective, this is really unsportsmanlike.  The poor tree has no defenses, can't run away, and can't even call for help from the other trees.

Textbook definition of a 'canned hunt'.  Don't let the enviro-wackos find out.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."- Thomas Jefferson
Local Farmer here won 10$ million in the lottery, when asked what he was going to do with his winnings, responded, "Keep on farming until that's all gone too."

Thank You Sponsors!