iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dropping large oak wolf tree

Started by beenthere, January 29, 2007, 04:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Driving home this noon, noticed some activity around a large oak (bout 3' diam) that has stood on the edge of this swamp for many years. When looking closer, I noticed a guy working at cutting it down. The way he was going about it, I wished I had my camera, as it looked like he was soon to get his saw stuck. I drove the 2 mi home, picked up the camera and went back to find the tree still standing, and the guy back at the truck. His saw was stuck, sure enough.

I at first didn't see any notch, and figured it to be on the backside of the tree. It wasn't as seen in this shot, but it wasn't very big. Maybe the size one would make for a 10" tree, not a 36".

I moved to a different position as he continued to pound in wedges, to finally get his saw loose.

Note in the pictures where he cut down a tree close to the big one, but left one standing behind him. Later you can see how far the large tree kicked back when it came down. This shot was seconds before the tree fell over.

Here the tree is down, and the butt kicked back about 6'. The guy was still moving around so it missed him.

He then cut the remaining tree that was still standing. It had a lot of springback.

Here he is cutting the big trunk up into firewood lengths, and he is apparently left handed running the throttle with the left hand and holding the handle with the right. No chaps or hardhat.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

metalspinner

Let's see if anyone recognizes himself when he gets home tonight and checks out the FF hideen camera. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Burlkraft

He 'prolly thought you wuz one of them tree huggers when ya was takin' pictures of him cuttin' it down. ;D   ;D   ;D

Was that tree dead ??? ???  It seems kinda dumb ta just go cut it down..... ??? ??? ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

beenthere

Yup, it was dead. Limbs broke up in a pile o dust when it came down.

When I first pulled up, and he was bringing the maul and wedges back from the truck, he was acting pretty nervous. I just said "gettin her down, eh?", and he said "it'll prolly be awhile, because I stuck my saw".

I was a bit concerned that he didn't have much of an idea where that tree was gonna fall. When it fell towards the road, it was coming down just as the county snowplow came around the corner and it swerved across the road, as maybe the driver was thinking it might reach him. He kept goin.

It's been a monument for the past 40+ years I've driven past it. Seems pretty bare without it there, and sorry to see it go. That ridge in the background will be where the Ice Age Trail will run. Lots of cutting and clearing of trees and brush to get it back to the Oak Savanah look. The big oak was not on that property.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

He must have been in urgent need for some firewood.
~Ron

OneWithWood

I think he saw that dirty jobs show with the mules.  I am sure a lot of people thought there can't be much to cutting a tree down after seeing that.  ::)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

rebocardo

It must have been interesting watching him dancing to avoid the rounds as he cut them off  :D

tim1234

Talking about that dirty jobs episode with the mules.....no hard hat, no saftey glasses, drop starting the saw, riding the logs as the mules pull them.  What a great way to teach America about saftey.  Then I think Mike Rowe made the comment aobut hoping OSHA wasn't watching.

Mike should know better after doing all the things he does.  I think he should at least have a pair of his own saftety glasses by now.

Also did you see the episode where the guy climbs the 100' palm tree.  That didn't look to safe either.  I didn't look like his spikes had anything really solid to dig it to.

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

Furby

Tim, check out one of the Dirty Jobs threads. ;)

tim1234

Ya I just saw it sorry for not reading on first.......

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

Furby

That's ok, just wanted you to read what Mike had to say about safety and it's role on the show. :)

Thank You Sponsors!